lilmac

What high fantasy novel/series should be made into a movie?

The Ashok Banker Ramayana series. I would love to see it on screen someday. It is already written like a movie screenplay. The author has even divided the 5 books into 3 "collections" to make it easier to adapt

Posted Image

Shouldn't Valmiki get at least a little credit? ;) Or it is the Ramayana reimagined?

Shouldn't Valmiki get at least a little credit? ;) Or it is the Ramayana reimagined?

This series is basically Ramayana by the way of Lord of the Rings.

I am still confused as to why no Indian production company has bought the rights to these books - or at least attempted to make Ramayana in a style similar to these books (like you said Ramayana is in the public domain).

• Like 1

This series is basically Ramayana by the way of Lord of the Rings.

I am still confused as to why no Indian production company has bought the rights to these books - or at least attempted to make Ramayana in a style similar to these books (like you said Ramayana is in the public domain).

Because they keep retelling the story of Ramayan.

Have you ever watched the Japanese Animation version.

Used to watch it a lot as a kid, such a story at a young age seems so epic. 

Because they keep retelling the story of Ramayan.

Have you ever watched the Japanese Animation version.

Used to watch it a lot as a kid, such a story at a young age seems so epic. 

The Ramayan story has barely been repeated in recent years "Raavan" tried, but that was a different movie altogether. Now Mahabharat on the other hand has been done to death in recent years.

Why? Just cut Jackson's 3 Hobbits film into one and there you have it. :lol:

After Desolation of Smaug and how awful it was, I'd prefer they just start from scratch.  An Unexpected Journey, there was hope, there were a lot of WTF moments, it was to long, and the orcs and fight scenes were to much and completely ruined the tone, but a decent cutting was possible.

After Desolation of Smaug condensed all of the actual plot of the book into about 20-30 minutes and filled the rest with non-stop action sequences, while also convoluting those few plot sequences with nonsense, there is very little hope for a good cutting of The Hobbit.

I'd prefer they just leave Tolkien alone forever now, there are no other stories that would work well as movies, and given that Jackson failed so tragically with the easiest of Tolkien's books to make into a movie, I don't want to see what they'd do with the other stories.

On topic

I want to see a well done big budget Asian fantasy though, there hasn't been one yet, but then again only Hollywood gets a big budget and there are very few directors who know how to make a good movie centering around non-Western cultures.

Edited by The Panda

After Desolation of Smaug and how awful it was, I'd prefer they just start from scratch.  An Unexpected Journey, there was hope, there were a lot of WTF moments, it was to long, and the orcs and fight scenes were to much and completely ruined the tone, but a decent cutting was possible.

After Desolation of Smaug condensed all of the actual plot of the book into about 20-30 minutes and filled the rest with non-stop action sequences, while also convoluting those few plot sequences with nonsense, there is very little hope for a good cutting of The Hobbit.

I'd prefer they just leave Tolkien alone forever now, there are no other stories that would work well as movies, and given that Jackson failed so tragically with the easiest of Tolkien's books to make into a movie, I don't want to see what they'd do with the other stories.

On topic

I want to see a well done big budget Asian fantasy though, there hasn't been one yet, but then again only Hollywood gets a big budget and there are very few directors who know how to make a good movie centering around non-Western cultures.

So I saw where the Hobbit would have been split if it had stayed two books.  The first movie would have ended right after the barrellchase.