lilmac

What high fantasy novel/series should be made into a movie?

We have Lord of the Rings and Conan movies which arguably started it all in the literary world.  Game of Thrones is lighting up the airwaves and there are rumors of a 2 hour movie.  

Personally, I'd like to see the Stormlight Archive made into a movie, or a series.  

Book 2 is out next and it'll be several years before the series is complete (Sanderson isn't a slow poke like Jordan or Martin) but by that time GOT will be over and fans will be clamoring for the next epic story.  

Posted Image

Edited by lilmac

Clearly not Wheel of Time, because of the sheer number of books (14) and how densely packed some of those books are with plot.

I do think you could condense the first three novels into a good 2.5 hour movie apiece, but from there the narrative gets way way too sprawling.

Clearly not Wheel of Time, because of the sheer number of books (14) and how densely packed some of those books are with plot.

I do think you could condense the first three novels into a good 2.5 hour movie apiece, but from there the narrative gets way way too sprawling.

I could not get past book 5 but would not mind seeing a CGI series (ala Clone Wars) for Wheel of Time spread out over say, 50 episodes.  It's the only way to really do it justice given financial constraints.  

I really really wish there was enough demand for maybe a 7 movie arc covering the Dark Tower series.  Although I'm not sure how one could make Book 6 (Song of Susannah) filmmable with Susanah/Mia sharing a body...haha.

Edited by lilmac

Phillip pullman's His dark materials definately needs to be done. 

The golden compass was such a disappointment though....I'd prefer that they just reboot the whole series

Speaking of reboots, 20th Century Fox really ought to make a new Eragon movie to make everybody forget that travesty that came out a few years back.

And if done in the style of the LOTR films (not like the Hobbit) the Silmarillion would of course be a great addition to the Tolkien cinematic universe but it would also be an incredibly ambitious project.

• Like 2

Silmarillion is even harder than LOTR. PS: My auto-correct recognizes Silmarillion. Wow.

Speaking of reboots, 20th Century Fox really ought to make a new Eragon movie to make everybody forget that travesty that came out a few years back.And if done in the style of the LOTR films (not like the Hobbit) the Silmarillion would of course be a great addition to the Tolkien cinematic universe but it would also be an incredibly ambitious project.

• Like 2

Silmarillion is even harder than LOTR.PS: My auto-correct recognizes Silmarillion. Wow. 

It would definitely be an enormous undertaking and honestly at this point Peter Jackson probably would not desire to fully immerse himself for who knows how long in another dense Middle-Earth Tale. Even if he did I'm not sold that he would be fully up to the task (as of right now anyway). 

I'd love to see the Artemis Fowl series on the big screen too, with Asa butterfield playing Artemis 

That would be an awesome casting choice! Only problem is that he will shortly be too old for the part (I believe Artemis is only like 10 in the first book). I had heard of serious talks of an adaptation being in the works a few years back but evidently nothing came of them. Apparently Disney own some piece of the movie rights though so maybe something could be on the horizon in the not-too-distant future  :)

• Like 1

That would be an awesome casting choice! Only problem is that he will shortly be too old for the part (I believe Artemis is only like 10 in the first book). I had heard of serious talks of an adaptation being in the works a few years back but evidently nothing came of them. Apparently Disney own some piece of the movie rights though so maybe something could be on the horizon in the not-too-distant future  :)

Well, he did appear as ender in ender's game last year which takes place when he was 6-10 ish. But considering nothing is in the works for artemis fowl atm I agree he would be too old for a future potential film. Missed opportunity :( 

The book series is finished so hope something materializes soon!

• Like 1

Well, he did appear as ender in ender's game last year which takes place when he was 6-10 ish. But considering nothing is in the works for artemis fowl atm I agree he would be too old for a future potential film. Missed opportunity :(

The book series is finished so hope something materializes soon!

I only read the first five books but I really liked the first three and the others certainly weren't bad. The story was refreshingly original and it was cool how Colfer handled the interaction between the fairy world with modern-day society. How many books did the series ultimately take?

• Like 1

I only read the first five books but I really liked the first three and the others certainly weren't bad. The story was refreshingly original and it was cool how Colfer handled the interaction between the fairy world with modern-day society. How many books did the series ultimately take?

8 in all, the first three are the best definitely! :) The plots are always ingenious though which is what I like about the books.  

• Like 1

I always thought Darkover would make a terrific background for a series of movies. Such a nice mix of SF and fantasy, plus the deep and varied characters and the landscape. Some sex, too. Hawkmistress or Forbidden Tower, maybe City of Sorcery; Stormqueen - there's a lot of stories in the Darkover cycle that would lend themselves to adaptions.

And of course, the Dragonriders of Pern, preferably the first three books. Can't get much more visual than these.

Wherever possible they should be adapted into premium cable type TV shows like Game of Thrones instead of movies. 

That way you don't have to condense the crap out of them or dumb them down too much for the GA.

Edited by Magic
  • Like 1