grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

13 minutes ago, roxas11 said:

Your original post was not about an 'influencer-only screenings that took place on 23rd-24th June.

You specifically said that once the review embargo lifts only some cherry picked critics will see it and the rest of the critics will see the film next week. So again this is clearly conspiratorial unless you have some actual evidence that these so called cherry picked critics are being paid off by WB

Absolutely, by the time the embargo lifts only a selective range of critics will have seen the movie. I didn’t say those critics are being ‘paid off’, that’s ridiculous.

We will certainly be getting reviews from people who attended those screenings back in June. It doesn’t take much to get a RT-approved blog.

Edited by Redolent

Who are these cherry picked critics? Aren't they just fan screenings back on the 23rd and 24th? Because there were definitely non-critics, non influencers attended, who dressed in pink and what not. Not sure if there were any critics hand picked by Warner. Do they have RT? Any examples? But maybe someone has a list somewhere.

And the pressed screening that some press adjacent critics (like the collider and /film type of critics) who saw it then.

23 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Been saying for a while that Barbie's life at the box office depends on what they do with the ending and messaging of the movie. If it's controversial that could lead to a short box office life for the film.

what end do you expect? all men dying killed by women?.

From what we read it's a Barbie movie with a feminist hint like it's Frozen and every disney movie with a princess. Since when americans became so soft? 🤣

Edited by vale9001

17 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

Who are these cherry picked critics? Aren't they just fan screenings back on the 23rd and 24th? Because there were definitely non-critics, non influencers attended, who dressed in pink and what not. Not sure if there were any critics hand picked by Warner. Do they have RT? Any examples? But maybe someone has a list somewhere.

And the pressed screening that some press adjacent critics (like the collider and /film type of critics) who saw it then.

I don’t have a list I’m afraid, but looks like some critics got a chance to see it on 23rd.

11 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

This thread has gone off the rails and into complete madness lmao

Sorry sorry, I contributed to this madness lol.

It's actually quite interesting to follow the trajectory of this film which subject matter is Barbie. I cannot imagine their first instinct was to appeal to a four quadrant audience. But over the months there's been enough of a build up that got some people outside of their key target demo to be interested in the film?

And I can see how it's an uphill battle to win over some of the other demo. If you are the target demo and loves Barbie you will like it regardless. And if you hate that kind of stuff, I have a hard time seeing them appealing to that group no matter if the movie itself is good or bad. These people would have to have an open mind about it. It does seem like most people here do.  And whether if there is a big, elaborate conspiracy involving the reviews, I guess we will all find out within a few days. Maybe there is, you never know.

3 minutes ago, Redolent said:

I don’t have a list I’m afraid, but looks like some critics got a chance to see it on 23rd.

I think I know who he is referring to. She didn't end up getting into the screening despite being a big fan of the movie and of one of the actors. I think she was going to attend the screening with one of her friend's ticket (as per her timeline). So I don't think she was actually invited personally to attend.

6 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

Sorry sorry, I contributed to this madness lol.

It's actually quite interesting to follow the trajectory of this film which subject matter is Barbie. I cannot imagine their first instinct was to appeal to a four quadrant audience. But over the months there's been enough of a build up that got some people outside of their key target demo to be interested in the film?

And I can see how it's an uphill battle to win over some of the other demo. If you are the target demo and loves Barbie you will like it regardless. And if you hate that kind of stuff, I have a hard time seeing them appealing to that group no matter if the movie itself is good or bad. These people would have to have an open mind about it. It does seem like most people here do.  And whether if there is a big, elaborate conspiracy involving the reviews, I guess we will all find out within a few days. Maybe there is, you never know.

Every commercial movie has a part of audience just hate that kind of movie or Is not interested.

The point usually here people doesn't care if the audience It's not the core of a type of movie won't like a movie if It's good for its people.

For this movie instead the discourse goes on and on on how world of mouth will be bad as world of mouth doesn't start from people interested in a movie. And the reactions from them are from good to stellar. 

And even men or people not in the core target are writing "the audience of this movie Will love it"

Edited by vale9001

3 hours ago, Redolent said:

So the main critic screening is on the same day as Oppenheimer but the review embargo is being lifted a week earlier on the 13th..what’s the point? Has it just been shown to a selective number of critics so far? 🥱

No, screenings for critics will happen in NY and LA in time for the review embargo, from what we know 

The screenings along with Oppenheimer is for the other states 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Redolent said:

It’s simple - you just do a MI. Screen to all critics, then lift the review embargo. The correct order of things is not rocket science.

Dude, every movie is screened to a few critics first. 

MI7 will likely have 400 reviews logged on RT, do you know how many was published on the day the embargo dropped? 80 

Because get what? Not every critic see the movies before the embargo deadline. 

This is normal, pretty much standard. They’re screening for LA and NY which is the biggest cities, probably most of the big outlets will have some of their critics watching in these screenings to review it on July 13. 

Stop spreading that only influencers will release reviews earlier, this is not true. Maybe it won’t be super acclaimed, but there’s no conspiracy theory happening here.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Dude, every movie is screened to a few critics first. 

MI7 will likely have 400 reviews logged on RT, do you know how many was published on the day the embargo dropped? 80 

Because get what? Not every critic see the movies before the embargo deadline. 

This is normal, pretty much standard. They’re screening for LA and NY which is the biggest cities, probably most of the big outlets will have some of their critics watching in these screenings to review it on July 13. 

Stop spreading that only influencers will release reviews earlier, this is not true. Maybe it won’t be super acclaimed, but there’s no conspiracy theory happening here.

I’m not just making stuff up. From what I’ve read most critics even in those places won’t have seen it by the embargo date. But very happy to be shown otherwise.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Redolent said:

I’m not just making stuff up. From what I’ve read most critics even in those places won’t have seen it by the embargo date. But very happy to be shown otherwise.

Ok maybe you have a point, this is weird and not what was being published before (and it’s THR chief so definitely credible). Sorry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Redolent said:

But what exactly is this even supposed to imply on your part? You're hell-bent on how this is done to inflate the RT score early on, but it's not like LA critics are any different from NY critics. What exactly is this supposed to change?

Besides, not like the monday date for NY critics would be a "late" date either, but whatever lmao. Bizarre, sure, but I agree that this feels more done to spite Oppenheimer than anything else. I don't get how this is supposed to be some RT-inflating move.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

how that tweet exchange is related to the fact they're hiding someone, that critics are gonna be selected (to like the movie more or watever). Can a moderator intervene?. The discussion is taken far with totally pointless arguments.

Edited by vale9001

11 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

how that tweet exchange is related to the fact they're hiding someone, that critics are gonna be selected (to like the movie more or watever). Can a moderator intervene?. The discussion is taken far with totally pointless points. 

I have said before and I will say it again

unless someone has actual evidence that any critic is being paid off by the WB or at the very least can show that the critic is giving barbie favorable reviews in order to please WB than the entire conversation about this is conspiratorial and really has nothing to do with the film pointal box office

Edited by roxas11

38 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Critics in LA seems to be able to choose.

But also this though?

Edited by Yojimbo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, roxas11 said:

I have said before and I will say it again

unless someone has actual evidence that any critic is being paid off by the WB or at the very least can show that the critic is giving barbie favorable reviews in order to please WB than the entire conversation about this is conspiratorial and really has nothing to do with the film pointal box office

no major critic is payed by WB (???). Again, i would say time to close this discussion. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2