CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

Over the last 3 hours, Captain 2 has moved up significantly on Movietickets.com.  It was at 1% very early this morning and is now at 3%, just behind TOW.  I know that's just a small sampling and that few people seeing a movie in its 4th or 5th weekend would be using that, but it probably means another good Saturday for the Captain.

• Like 2

dropping 61% after breaking OW record and 50% in the second weekend it's not "dropping like a rock"

now it doesn't seem that high cause movies drop that much mostly due to strong thu/midnights.

but considring it did not have strong summer weekdays, 61% was a huge drop.

if we look at 100m+ openers till 2007, these are the 2nd weekend drops:

2 movies that posted as big/bigger drops than it had a big memorial day monday and inflated sunday

SM3 -61.5%

HP4 -46.7%

X3 -66.9% (post memorial day)

Shrek2 -33.2%

SW:RoS -49%

PotC3 -61.5% (post memorial day)

SM1 -37.8%

Shrek3 -56.4%

PotC2 54%

Edited by a2k

lol, it is a consensus that SM3 had too much competition, way more than any blockbuster ever faced at the time.

SM competition OW adjusted

week2: 6.1 (Deuces Wild + Hollywood Ending)week3: 31.5 (Unfaithful + The New Guy)week4: 121.36 (AOTC + About a Boy)week5: 72.2 (Insomnia + Spirit + Enough)

SM2 competition OW adjusted (this one opened in summer, a lot big movies can co-exist)

week2: 45.89 (Anchorman + King Arthur)week3: 84.30 (I Robot, A Cinderella Story)week4: 88.63 (Bourn2 + Catwoman)week5: 97.71 (Village + Manchurian Candidate + Harold 1)

SM3 competition OW adjusted

week2: 23.12 (28 Weeks + Gerogia Rule + Delta Force)week3: 140.72 (Shrek 3)week4: 132.74 (POTC3 148m 4-day)week5: 48.64 (Knocked Up + Mr. Brooks + Gracie)

Good point.. So there goes the bs hate  theory for SM3. Its also did decent on HV.. Folks were really upset around the world at rebooting and losing the great one  :aka TM and Rami from doing a SM4. :'( Still with this Andrew guy bringing the name of Spidey to the trashcan....Tobey and Raimi may live let again!!!!!!

Over the last 3 hours, Captain 2 has moved up significantly on Movietickets.com.  It was at 1% very early this morning and is now at 3%, just behind TOW.  I know that's just a small sampling and that few people seeing a movie in its 4th or 5th weekend would be using that, but it probably means another good Saturday for the Captain.

Captain really deserved 300-400M what a wonderful film. Captain3 is going to be massive.

• Like 1

Good point.. So there goes the bs hate theory for SM3. Its also did decent on HV.. Folks were really upset around the world at rebooting and losing the great one :aka TM and Rami from doing a SM4. :'( Still with this Andrew guy bringing the name of Spidey to the trashcan....Tobey and Raimi may live let again!!!!!!

Please, SM3 is disliked by most fans and it has as mentioned (outside of Twilight) the worst multiplier of all time for a huge blockbuster movie.
  • Like 1

I could watch Captain 2 every day for the rest of my life and never get tired of it. That's just how good it is to me.

Please, SM3 is disliked by most fans and it has as mentioned (outside of Twilight) the worst multiplier of all time for a huge blockbuster movie.

hmm, I can use the argument that SM3 is disliked by most fans but I can't use the argument that SM3 is liked by most critics because that's just plain wrong, of course critics got carried away by SM2 goodwill and fanboys are much more grounded.

The Purge was well liked, IMO. I mean, can you honestly expect any film to make more than half its total on OW with the kind of competition it faced?

except The Purge didn't open to 175m adjusted and didn't face two +120m openers (adjusted). We can't ignore the nature of a horror movies.

I thought people hated the Purge

They did (look at the RT Audience rating). But the plot has so much potential that I think I wouldn't mind seeing if they get the sequel done right.
  • Like 1

Not true , SM3 faced tons of competition FTF or it would have made 380-400+M... I see you missed the above. SM3 also raped your SM1 reboot on HV BO and in every market without 3D..

So hell no on SM3 was universally hated...Sorry nearly 400M with big films hitting your 2nd,3rd, 4th legs and over 13 million copies on HV  domestically alone is not universally hated(disappointing for SM's usualy huge HV BO , but sorry SM2 reboot is the worst of them all)

now it doesn't seem that high cause movies drop that much mostly due to strong thu/midnights.

but considring it did not have strong summer weekdays, 61% was a huge drop.

if we look at 100m+ openers till 2007, these are the 2nd weekend drops:

2 movies that posted as big/bigger drops than it had a big memorial day monday and inflated sunday

SM3 -61.5%

HP4 -46.7%

X3 -66.9% (post memorial day)

Shrek2 -33.2%

SW:RoS -49%

PotC3 -61.5% (post memorial day)

SM1 -37.8%

Shrek3 -56.4%

PotC2 54%

I'm not saying that SM3 drops were good, but they weren't toxic as some like to claim, look POTC2, it broke the OW record, it had good WOM (I woud say excellent) and it dropped 54%. "Dropping like a rock" would be drops of +65% in two weeks in a row.

Not true , SM3 faced tons of competition FTF or it would have made 380-400+M... I see you missed the above. SM3 also raped your SM1 reboot on HV BO and in every market without 3D..

Talking about competition TASM faced TDKR. It also came post TA.

Edited by a2k