CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

I think it would do a pirates 4 overseas still, Im is still very popular there. 

I agree. The question is, Is Marvel going to make another one? When will I see the REAL Mandarin? lol

I agree. The question is, Is Marvel going to make another one? When will I see the REAL Mandarin? lol

Imagine IM3 if the Mandarin was actually the Mandarin? Would have been a much better film. 

• Like 6

The mixed to bad WOM on ASM is really surprising to me.  This doesn't bode well for the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

They teased it in the Marvel One Shot: Hail to the King.It's pretty good.
  • Like 1

It would drop even if it starred RDJ, imo. 1 B might still happen though. Small amount of money. lol

if the movie is great like 90% something RT with RDJ I'm pretty sure it's not gonna drop

The mixed to bad WOM on ASM is really surprising to me.  This doesn't bode well for the next couple of weeks.

Just as I wrote the WOM wil kill this thing fast 

if the movie is great like 90% something RT with RDJ I'm pretty sure it's not gonna drop

An iron man 4 after avengers 2 with the real mandarin will do BETTER than IM3.As for the various insults , I am sorry if the truth offends some people and I won't bother starting internet fights(too old for that , Baumer knows )

Real Mandarin? WTF. 

It's not franchise fatigue...more like reboot and history rehashing fatigue.

When you follow a successful, hence objectively (by the numbers) beloved franchise why rehashing the same story with your own twist?  

By doing so, you just invite even more the comparison for better or worse and therefore increase the chance of a sizable audience target to be unimpressed and let down.  Most 20+ years old rememberred clearly the Raimy's trilogy. That's a lot of people who will compare the different versions of the same story...it's therefore likely that many of them will prefer one over the other and won't feel invested in this new version.

I said, go on with the story instead of rehasing and inviting more comparison.  If they had done this from the get go instead of retelling the origin story, instead of re-introducing the Goblin, they would have been more successful dealing with new characters in a more coherent way and lessen that comparison effect.  

Just advance into the story, deepen it, enriched it instead of retelling it on your own terms..

I don't see how they could've avoided reintroducing the Goblin. It had to be done in one form or the other especially for the storyline they were going for. I agree that TASM didn't have to rehash the origin story though.

Edited by Spidey Freak of Highgarden

And it would have earned more and won 2013. FROZEN is taking the crown in a few weeks.

Lol nonsense. Frozen would've won despite a racist caricature of Mandarin or not. And by racist caricature, I mean the one from the comics, not Trevor.

• Like 1

Lol nonsense. Frozen would've won despite a racist caricature of Mandarin or not. And by racist caricature, I mean the one from the comics, not Trevor.

I doubt that. IRON MAN lll would have earned more imo had it had the real Mandarin.

Edited by kayumanggi

I doubt that. IRON MAN lll would have earned more imo if it had the real Mandarin.

Its OW would not have changed because everyone thought Kingsley was actually the Mandarin until the movie opened and WOM about the twist would not have traveled far enough to reach the GA by the Sunday.

It would have affected the film's legs, but it's impossible to say whether a true Mandarin storyline would have made better or worse legs because it would have risked opening itself up to backlash over ethnic portrayals as opposed to the backlash over subverting villain expectations.

• Like 4

Its OW would not have changed because everyone thought Kingsley was actually the Mandarin until the movie opened and WOM about the twist would not have traveled far enough to reach the GA by the Sunday.

It would have affected the film's legs, but it's impossible to say whether a true Mandarin storyline would have made better or worse legs because it would have risked opening itself up to backlash over ethnic portrayals as opposed to the backlash over subverting villain expectations.

And really, nobody was offended by this twist except for some rapid fanboys. The Mandarin from the comics is an embarrassing caricature from times gone by. No ways they could've used him in a 2013 movie that way. Black and the writers did an excellent job by subverting the expectations and perceptions of the character.

Edited by Spidey Freak of Highgarden
  • Like 7

The legs would have been better, imo. By the way, what is Mandarin's nationality?