Films

Wednesday Numbers. THE AMAZING YOU NEED TO GO AND SEE OTHER WOMAN- 1.2M, TASM2- 4.1M

If they are rebooting Lethal Weapon, that's fine.  As long as they take it seriously.  Chris Hemsworth would be cool as Riggs but if they cast someone like Kevin Hart for Murtaugh, I'll lose my shit.

If they are rebooting Lethal Weapon, that's fine.  As long as they take it seriously.  Chris Hemsworth would be cool as Riggs but if they cast someone like Kevin Hart for Murtaugh, I'll lose my shit.

Kevin Hart is OK. I wouldn't say he's right for that role though.

Kevin Hart is OK. I wouldn't say he's right for that role though.

I don't have a problem with Kevin Hart.  

But as you said, he shouldn't be anywhere near a Lethal Weapon film, especially since Danny Glover is a big man, a very big man.  

Posted Image

Everything is going to be rebooted.  It's inevitable.  Doesn't take anything away from the original.  

Everything is going to be rebooted.  It's inevitable.  Doesn't take anything away from the original.  

Like Tele said, it's a matter of principle. Also, there's no reason to reboot a damn buddy cop series. None. Zilch. Superheroes, comic-book movies, I get it. Comics are rebooted all the time. Kinda makes sense. Same with long, long-running series like Star Trek or Bond. 

But Lethal Weapon? That's just insane. That series was what it was because of the stars, nothing more. 

• Like 1

Like Tele said, it's a matter of principle. Also, there's no reason to reboot a damn buddy cop series. None. Zilch. Superheroes, comic-book movies, I get it. Comics are rebooted all the time. Kinda makes sense. Same with long, long-running series like Star Trek or Bond. 

But Lethal Weapon? That's just insane. That series was what it was because of the stars, nothing more. 

And no one in their teens knows anything about Lethal Weapon, which came out almost 30 years ago.  

And no one in their teens knows anything about Lethal Weapon, which came out almost 30 years ago.  

That's besides the point. There's no plot-related hook in Lethal Weapon that lends itself toward rebooting. It's completely counter-intuitive. The franchise existed because of Gibson and Glover. 

• Like 3

That's besides the point. There's no plot-related hook in Lethal Weapon that lends itself toward rebooting. It's completely counter-intuitive. The franchise existed because of Gibson and Glover. 

So you just arbitrarily pick which films are allowed to be rebooted?  

I'm not saying it's going to be successful, but Hollywood doesn't care if fans of the original care about the remake, they care about the teens who will be seeing it going forward.  

If teens don't know about Lethal Weapon, and that's who they're trying to get into theaters, then why call it Lethal Weapon? Why not just make a new buddy cop film starring Chris Hemsworth and Kevin Hart and have it be its own thing? Then maybe 30 years down the line some suit can float the idea of rebooting that Hemsworth & Hart buddy cop flick.

• Like 5

So you just arbitrarily pick which films are allowed to be rebooted?  

I'm not saying it's going to be successful, but Hollywood doesn't care if fans of the original care about the remake, they care about the teens who will be seeing it going forward.  

It's not arbitrary. This isn't a franchise that failed (the reason reboots became a thing in the first place) and this isn't some grand mythology that future generations will lap up just as much as the last one. All I'm saying is it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. 

Are teens going to line up for a buddy cop movie that's not an R-rated comedy? Probably not. 

If teens don't know about Lethal Weapon, and that's who they're trying to get into theaters, then why call it Lethal Weapon? Why not just make a new buddy cop film starring Chris Hemsworth and Kevin Hart and have it be its own thing? Then maybe 30 years down the line some suit can float the idea of rebooting that Hemsworth & Hart buddy cop flick.

This. 

It's not arbitrary. This isn't a franchise that failed (the reason reboots became a thing in the first place) and this isn't some grand mythology that future generations will lap up just as much as the last one. All I'm saying is it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. 

Are teens going to line up for a buddy cop movie that's not an R-rated comedy? Probably not. 

But how do you know?  You don't remake something or reboot it because it failed, they just do it because they figure they can make money out of it.  I don't know why so many people get so bent out of shape about remakes or reboots.  No one's forcing you to see it, it's not part of your curriculum so why do you care so much?  Just don't go.

But how do you know?  You don't remake something or reboot it because it failed, they just do it because they figure they can make money out of it.  I don't know why so many people get so bent out of shape about remakes or reboots.  No one's forcing you to see it, it's not part of your curriculum so why do you care so much?  Just don't go.

The same reason people get mad about stupid laws and corrupt politicians. We want to see what we love (in this case movies, Hollywood, take your pick) get better. If you're okay with an industry completely devoid of originality, then by all means keep defending it. 

• Like 1

Also, I meant "failed" as in Batman, Bond, Star Trek, etc. which became creatively bankrupt before being rebooted. 

The same reason people get mad about stupid laws and corrupt politicians. We want to see what we love (in this case movies, Hollywood, take your pick) get better. If you're okay with an industry completely devoid of originality, then by all means keep defending it. 

There's hardly any originality in Hollywood anymore.  Seriously.  If there's a film that doesn't interest you, don't support it with your dollars.  Getting bent out of shape over it getting made doesn't do anything.