A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

3 hours ago, Giorno said:

It's a good quote, but it's not strictly true as it's not showing "Acquired" (i.e pre-existing/not original programming) shows or movies (in the next post he does reference the Bluey phenomenon) which is D+'s strength.  In particular not having theatrical movies on that list is a big asterisk that really should be noted.

But it is in fact largely true as they've had next-to-no breakouts on the TV side of original programming outside of Marvel/SW.  Probably the only honest-to-goodness breakout they've had on the D+ side of the ledger is the surprise performance of The Santa Clauses.  But that's pretty damn seasonal and we'll see if S2 repeats its viewership surge or if it was more of a lightning in a bottle situation.

Got a lot riding on the upcoming Percy Jackson, that's for sure.

(Also this is part of the problem between splitting content between Hulu and D+ in the States, but that argument has well and truly been beaten into the ground)

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's a good quote, but it's not strictly true as it's not showing "Acquired" (i.e pre-existing/not original programming) shows or movies (in the next post he does reference the Bluey phenomenon) which is D+'s strength.  In particular not having theatrical movies on that list is a big asterisk that really should be noted.

But it is in fact largely true as they've had next-to-no breakouts on the TV side of original programming outside of Marvel/SW.  Probably the only honest-to-goodness breakout they've had on the D+ side of the ledger is the surprise performance of The Santa Clauses.  But that's pretty damn seasonal and we'll see if S2 repeats its viewership surge or if it was more of a lightning in a bottle situation.

Got a lot riding on the upcoming Percy Jackson, that's for sure.

(Also this is part of the problem between splitting content between Hulu and D+ in the States, but that argument has well and truly been beaten into the ground)

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think the snark is unwarranted... in that TVGR could have made their point so so much better if they had just reworded it slightly to emphasize new programming.

It's a little dangerous to take a platform's trendlist too seriously, as it's unknowable black box (esp since it's a snapshot in time and not a weekly measurement that Nielsen uses).  But for shits and giggles lets use it as something of a yardstick:

Current US/Nor Cal D+ Trendlist:

Elemental

Star Wars: Ahsoka

Bluey

The Little Mermaid

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse

---

The Simpsons

Spidey and His Amazing Friends

Moana

Dug Days: Carl's Date

Encanto

----

Toy Story

Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir

Cars

I Am Groot

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

----

Jessie

Good Chemistry: The Story of Elemental

Turning Red

Star Wars: Rebels

Puppy Dog Pals

----

Frozen

Coco

Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Phineas and Ferb

If we cross compare some admittedly four week old numbers but use what look to be Old Standards, might get a rough judge on how things are doing once one gets past the top of the trendlist which will suffer from Shiny New Toy disease:

F6E6fDAbkAA2pYM?format=png&name=medium

Again, set aside the top of the trendlist for the mo, as Ahsoka isn't doing better than Bluey when an entire week of viewing is taken into account.  Turning Red and Mando to me are more or less the yardsticks to look at.  It suggests that once one gets past The Simpsons (which didn't chart on the "Acquired" list that week so by def it did less than 435m min watched) a whooooole lot of things potentially in the 90m to 100m minutes range of Things Watched.

Like, for instance, I would kill to get concrete Nielsen numbers for Star Wars: The Clone Wars which has been a long time mainstay on the D+ Trendlist.  Not just for selfish reasons, but because it gets me a sense of how all the other programming around it is doing.  Moana has been in the Top 10/Top 15 for as long as I can remember (haven't checked it in months, and hey, look, still there), and I am damn curious to see what sort of minutes watched that translates to.  Seeing Turning Red  and Luca both in the 90m-100m range suggests to me it is doing better than either.

=======

Now, again, TVGR was right in observing that Disney Plus is having real trouble having multiple new shows succeed at the same time as well as have people watch the back catalogue of their original programming.

And that is absolutely a problem.  But, as often happens on the internet, do think he oversold the snark and drifted too much into hyperbole.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2023 at 1:45 PM, MovieMan89 said:

That’s a truly nasty stat for D+ considering I think they’re still far from the worst offender for a streaming service you can spend money on. 

Whatehr or not you are getting your money's worth from a streaming service is going to vary from iindividual to individual, of course.

I think I get my money's worth from Disney  + but then I watch a lot fo the classic Disney stuff and the National Geogrpahic section, not just Star Wars and Marvel.

2 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

Moana almost always lands on the top 10 movie list for Nielsen and hovers around 200 minutes each week for context if you want to compare that to Turning Red and Luca. 

Moana is a true modern classic for them. I will always maintain that movie could have pulled near Frozen box office numbers in the summer. Holiday made zero sense for it. 

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Moana is a true modern classic for them. I will always maintain that movie could have pulled near Frozen box office numbers in the summer. Holiday made zero sense for it. 

I don't see how changing the release date to Summer would have made it gain an extra $200m domestically?

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

Yep. The biggest hits of Disney+ since launch aren't any of its originals, it's Simpsons, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and Moana.