A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Eh, I'm not too fond of filmmakers knocking their former employers in this way, especially filmmakers at the level of Cooley. Bird and Stanton both left Pixar, too, but you didn't see them talk about the company in even a semi-negative light because they both needed Pixar when their other films failed at the Box Office.

It's great that he made a good Transformers movie, and I'm happy for him, but this weekend Paramount is going to learn a lot about how little people wanted this film.

This is literally the most tame criticisms he could make lol. You don’t have to be a bootlicker to your employer, especially your former employer lol

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This is literally the most tame criticisms he could make lol. You don’t have to be a bootlicker to your employer, especially your former employer lol

It's extremely tame. That doesn't mean it's any less rare an occurrence for a Director to even comment on a studio they worked for in the past.

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

If that is not the business model that works for him it's his right and choice to find a new employer. Why are people straining to make a controversy out of this?

I just think it's interesting to note the development process at Pixar. I think Soul, Luca, and Turning Red all took about 5 years from pitch to screen, but Josh Cooley says that it would take longer for him, due to the backlog of other projects.

4 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It's extremely tame. That doesn't mean it's any less rare an occurrence for a Director to even comment on a studio they worked for in the past.

You sure that's rare? I mean we know some about these animation studios from former employees.

Edited by cannastop

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I just think it's interesting to note the development process at Pixar. I think Soul, Luca, and Turning Red all took about 5 years from pitch to screen, but Josh Cooley says that it would take longer for him, due to the backlog of other projects.

You sure that's rare? I mean we know some about these animation studios from former employees.

There's always the chance Cooley is not an idea man. He has a story by credit for TOY STORY 4 with four others, so it's hard to know exactly how much he contributed. He's not credited as a writer for TRANSFORMERS ONE. So for someone who wants to direct, but doesn't have their own ideas for a film, the process may be longer.

And I meant it was rare for someone of Cooley's stature as a filmmaker to make such comments. Maybe some of the anonymous people who talked about Pixar are also directors, but they chose to stay anonymous for obvious reasons.

More from that interview:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/transformers-one-filmmaker-josh-cooley-1236007954/

I actually didn't know Cooley was a very longtime Pixar employee, going back as far as Joe Ranft. I still don't know why, if he wanted to still make movies like Monsters Inc, or Toy Story, he would leave Pixar, but like he said, there was a bottleneck. I can't say I agree with him here either, as I think both Luca and Turning Red found an audience. And Pete Docter wants to make Monsters Inc again anyway at this point.

If someone’s going to do, say in 20 years, this history of Pixar, they are going to come to that phase of movies, whether it’s Luca or Turning Red, that are these personal stories. Not the popular movies from before.

Yeah, I know what you mean. And the difference in my mind is if you look at Toy Story or Monsters, Inc. or Bug’s Life or any of those initial films, they’re very much, “Everybody knows that their toys are alive when they’re out of the room.” That’s just something that is in the zeitgeist, in our subconscious that we don’t think about, but all kids play that way. Everybody knows that there’s monsters in their closet. There’s stuff that they tap into early on that was universal without us knowing it.

I never thought about turning into a panda bear or turning into a fish boy. It’s just a different style of story. And for me personally, I prefer the monsters in the closet, and I think that’s why for me it was more successful, story wise for that reason.

Yeah, I know what you mean. And the difference in my mind is if you look at Toy Story or Monsters, Inc. or Bug’s Life or any of those initial films, they’re very much, “Everybody knows that their toys are alive when they’re out of the room.” That’s just something that is in the zeitgeist, in our subconscious that we don’t think about, but all kids play that way. Everybody knows that there’s monsters in their closet. There’s stuff that they tap into early on that was universal without us knowing it.

I never thought about turning into a panda bear or turning into a fish boy. It’s just a different style of story. And for me personally, I prefer the monsters in the closet, and I think that’s why for me it was more successful, story wise for that reason.

Okay, but how does The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Up, and Wall-E fit into this? Weren't these films part of their golden era?

I loved Turning Red and Luca. And I don't get what he's trying to say about those films, because even though they were personal stories from the filmmakers, that didn't make them any less good, in my opinion.

30 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

There are plenty of filmmakers who have shat on studios they’ve worked in the past and how they’ve had no creative control on a certain film they made for that studio. And I don’t even see this as criticism. He’s just saying that Pixar cannot afford to have more than a few films per year in the pipeline so he’d rather make films for multiple studios and have a greater chance of releasing a movie soon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Okay, but how does The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Up, and Wall-E fit into this? Weren't these films part of their golden era?

I think he obviously includes that in the golden age. He specified Ratatouille as the last movie made while the uncertainty under Disney was going on. And he talked positively on Up.Don't see what they have to do with the point at large, as they're part of the same genre.

I loved Turning Red and Luca. And I don't get what he's trying to say about those films, because even though they were personal stories from the filmmakers, that didn't make them any less good, in my opinion.

I kind of get what he's saying, that he prefers Monsters inc a "universal" thing compared to Luca and Turning Red. I think the issue is that "universal" can become generic