lilmac

I watched SW with someone who had never seen it before

I had one of those rare experiences that all SW fanatics love. I introduced someone to Star Wars. In this case, it was my girlfriend. We watched A New Hope and this was the first time she had seen any Star Wars movie. I am paraphrasing but her verdict was that it was good, not great. shrug* What are ya going to do? LOL. 

My favorite parts:

* seeing her reaction when Luke fired up the lightsaber for the first time 
* her reaction when Ben Kenobi revealed that he was Obi-Wan
* seeing her reaction when Obi-Wan disappeared (she thought he just became invisible, which is sort of true)
* her asking if Vader would ever take the mask off (she figured correctly from his heavy breathing that he needed it for survival because)
* "How did he make him think that?" in reference to Obi-Wan's jedi mind tricks
* "He's a hero!" when Luke swung across the chasm in the Death Star with Leia in tow
* "He's been in love with her from the beginning" referencing Luke and Leia (I can't wait until she finds out they're brother and sister)

* Obi-Wan speaking to Luke while in ghost form wasn't anything spiritual or metaphysical, she thought he simply made himself invisible (she actually thought Obi-Wan was in the X-Wing with Luke during the Death Star run, only invisible. Posted Image)
* She couldn't quite understand what Vader was doing when he force choked Admiral Motti. Posted Image

Her favorite character was C3PO because of the 'way he talks'. We'll finish the OT and if she's still not super excited, we'll end it at that. No PT. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if she likes the PT better. *sigh* 

After the OT, we'll move onto LOTR (which she also hasn't seen)

• Like 8

The first SW I watched was attack of the clones. Then phantom menace. Then sith. Then the first one. Haven't watched empire strikes back and return of the jedi. Starting with clones and phantom menace marred the experience and impression of the franchise for me.

The first SW I watched was attack of the clones. Then phantom menace. Then sith. Then the first one. Haven't watched empire strikes back and return of the jedi. Starting with clones and phantom menace marred the experience and impression of the franchise for me.

The OT still eradicates the prequel depression. Watch the other two!

• Like 2

Posted Image

• Like 14

This is Part 2 of my GF's introduction to Star Wars.  We watched ESB and she liked that so much we went right into ROTJ.  

Highlights:

Her reaction to the Darth Vader revelation (see video clip)
Her reaction to the Leia revelation (see video clip, ever since ANH her #1 concern was seemingly who Leia would choose, Luke or Han)
Seeing her cringe at Jabba sticking his tongue out toward Leia
Her surprise to see Lando and Leia coming out of their disguise in Jabba's palace 
In the end she enjoyed ROTJ the most because it had the 'most action'.  She didn't mind the ewoks at all, in fact she absolutely loved the dancing scenes at the end
She is still trying to wrap her mind around the Force (when Luke force drew the lightsaber to his hand in the ice cave on Hoth, when Luke made C-3PO float, etc, she kept asking how did that happen?)

She is very much looking forward to the prequels.  She wants to see how Darth Vader became well, Darth Vader.    

The most important takeaway is that she likes Star Wars now.  She did not think she would enjoy it based on the name (she didn't think she would be a fan of sci-fi/fantasy I guess).

Onward to Lord of the Rings.  She is almost as ignorant of LOTR as she was for Star Wars.  All she remembers is seeing on TV a "girl flying on a giant eagle".  I figured it was either Gandalf (Fellowship) or one of the hobbits (ROTK).  She remembers Gollum which leads me to think she caught the ending of ROTK somehow.

I have to apologize profusely for the lack of light.  I tried conditioning her to having light in the room but that didn't work.  It was a distraction, especially with me and the camera.  It could have potentially diluted her experience.  I wasn't going to risk that. 

Vader reveal

"I'm still shocked" - her words (not on film) about one minute after the Vader revelation
Her immediate reaction is muted (there is a slight jolt which you can barely see as she starts processing what she heard), she finally says something at the 0:50  mark.

Leia 

She has a more immediate reaction here.  She was really looking forward to seeing whether Luke or Han would get the girl.  
Edited by lilmac
  • Like 2

After reading her comments of the first Star Wars movie, I thought she would enjoy the ROTJ the most, as you said she did. On LOTR, hopefully she is a big Viggio fan, as he is the best in the movie, with Gandalf.

Edited by Lazer Deadshot
  • Like 1

After reading her comments of the first Star Wars movie, I thought she would enjoy the ROTJ the most, as you said she did. On LOTR, hopefully she is a big Viggio fan, as he is the best in the movie, with Gandalf.

I would not be surprised if my girl likes the prequels, especially Jar Jar.  *sigh*

I would not be surprised if my girl likes the prequels, especially Jar Jar.  *sigh*

Do you like the Big Bang Theory, as there are other movies discussed, which the geeks liking and Penny not. Like watching Raiders of the Lost Ark with 8 additional seconds that they say, is worth going to, as it makes it a brand new movie.

"I can't wait to see the other Star Wars movies (prequels)"

My gf's words a few days ago. 

Tonight we began on the prequels. In the end she thought it was "ok" and "not as good as the last one (ROTJ, which is her favorite)"

I asked her what she felt about Jar Jar. She laughed a couple of times at his hijinks but she certainly didn't fall in love with the character. She definitely toned out and started to doze off during the many slow/talky moments of the movie. 

Highlights:

*As soon as the movie started she wanted to know where C-3PO was (her favorite character). 

*Her shock and sadness when Qui-Gonn Jinn was killed (she has a crush on Liam Neeson). 

*Her excitement when Obi-Wan killed Darth Maul ("did he just cut him in half??")

*"That thing is so dangerous", referencing Darth Maul. First I've heard Darth Maul being referred to as a "Thing" Posted Image

*Her openly wondering if Obi-Wan was going to get with Padme when I had to remind her who was who. 

*Her excitement when Queen Amidala revealed herself as not a decoy.

I could definitely tell that she wasn't enamored as she was with the earlier films. Like I said, it was hard keeping her away during the slow spots. However, she did enjoy the movie - more so than I do. Next: Attack of the Clones

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 1

It's been two weeks and we still haven't gotten around to AOTC (we took a pause and are both watching the Before Sunset trilogy for the first time).  AOTC then ROTS then the LOTR trilogy (which she never saw).

• Like 2

The old Star Wars films are timeless films...

I have had many younger cousins and some friends who have watched those films for the first time recently and all I hear is great things.

Most people I know who watch older films find them a bit tame or silly as special effects are not great or simply because they are not very nostalgic people, however the characters and story line and action scenes in Star Wars really appealed to them.

I grow up with star wars in my vains, and I believe I saw them in the correct order.

the first time I remember watching them was when I was 5 I think. 

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

Phantom Menace 

Attack of the Clones

Revenge of the Sith 

I have a few friends who haven't yet seen SW, so what order should they watch them in. I know one of them has already seen TPM, but none of the others, so prequels THEN original trilogy? Or 4,5,6 first?