#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

Godzilla brought out my inner fanboy.

DOFP got an emotional response from me (as somebody who isn't a huge X-Men fan) and I found very few flaws with it.  Plus it had a great script.

I really liked both, but DOFP was more emotional, I'll give you that. It even had one of those scenes that were intentionally meant to be emotional, no voices, just very dramatic music.

• Like 1

How can anyone doubt Cameron, ever again?  The man takes 12 years off after he destroyed box office records and then he just goes out and kills the record again.  And now Bobby John is questioning whether or not the Avatar sequel will be big?  

Posted Image

• Like 5

Knock-offs? How about both attempts at A PRINCESS OF MARS? A Golden Age visual apes by MAN OF STEEL and JUPITER ASCENDING (among others). 

Hey, JC was in development since before Stanton finished WALL-E.

I will add though that it did spawn the ubiquity of 3D technology, even if it still has numerous issues.

Edited by tribefan695

While we're on the topic of poorly rendered CGI, they've been showing The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on TV again. There's a multitude of piss poor CGI in that movie.

That movie is failure on many levels. Lousy CGI was expected.

Hey, JC was in development since before Stanton finished WALL-E. I will add though that it did spawn the ubiquity of 3D technology, even if it still has numerous issues.

Actually JC's development went back to Walt

I am a big fan of Avatar, but I can see criticisms in terms of the film.

BUT... in terms of BO, no questions asked. This was a fucking MONSTER. A REAL juggernaut (hehe Kal)It was truly amazing to see its numbers every single day for that winter.

While we're on the topic of poorly rendered CGI, they've been showing The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on TV again. There's a multitude of piss poor CGI in that movie.

See Penny Dreadfull on Showtime...similar concept...much better execution...

• Like 1

Knock-offs? How about both attempts at A PRINCESS OF MARS? A Golden Age visual apes by MAN OF STEEL and JUPITER ASCENDING (among others).

I would say John Carter was only an Avatar ripoff in advertisement. Neither film nor the original Princess of Mars are alike exactly. Though some influences from A Princess of Mars were used in Avatar apparently.

Edited by Fancyarcher

How can anyone doubt Cameron, ever again?  The man takes 12 years off after he destroyed box office records and then he just goes out and kills the record again.  And now Bobby John is questioning whether or not the Avatar sequel will be big?  

Posted Image

Avatar 2 will be big, no doubt.  I do question on whether it's possible for it to be as big as Avatar.

You could bring up the Titanic comparison but there's a couple of points

1.Avatar wasn't as big as Titanic, sure it out-grossed it but that's from all of those 3D prices, plus inflation, plus IMAX.

2.Avatar started the 3D craze, that craze has been dying out, the revolutionary effects were part of the reason it took off.

3.It's a sequel, Avatar was insanely popular, but so was Star Wars and look at the drop from Star Wars to the Empire Strikes Back (and then put those in adjusted numbers.  Star Wars adjusts to 1.1b domestic, Empire Strikes back adjusts to 620m domestic for their first runs, absolutely insane numbers for both of them, but it's a huge drop off)

Expect Avatar 2 to be huge, but don't expect Avatar 2 to be Avatar huge.

• Like 2