Impact

Top 10 of 2015 predictions

Yeah, it added a lot of money in 1997:

Lifetime Gross: $460,998,007

05/25/1977 Star Wars $307,263,857

08/13/1982 Star Wars (Re-issue) $15,476,285

01/31/1997 Star Wars (Special Edition) $138,257,865

Edited by James

Star Wars has been re-released 4 times after 1977 (initial run), in 1978, 1981, 1982 and 1997. Titanic, one time. It's important to mention and notice that difference.

Except it practically never left theaters during those times. Plus it had two sequels that adjust to insane proportions, just goes to show it's success wasn't a spur of the moment phenomenon.
  • Like 1

Except it practically never left theaters during those times. Plus it had two sequels that adjust to insane proportions, just goes to show it's success wasn't a spur of the moment phenomenon.

So you can't really compare it with Titanic.

I think Titanic is still the biggest initial run of all time without re release or staying in theatres forever because there was no tv or recording devices and theathres were the only way you could go to see a film.

Titanic accomplished that with that technology available to all.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Well, it made 189 od it's 198,5M gross during it's first release in 1939. A 200M grosser 75  years ago is kinda out of this world.

It didn't gross that much in its initial release. BOM simply doesn't have enough data before 1982 to list the grosses of the separate releases. They lump everything together before that date, just as they do with Star Wars, whose $307m initial release is actually the combination of four releases (1977, 1978, 1979, 1981).
  • Like 3

Well, it made 189 od it's 198,5M gross during it's first release in 1939. A 200M grosser 75  years ago is kinda out of this world.

Gone with the Wind was re-release 8 times!!!!!!!! First release was in 1939 (rentals: $14,150,000 so i think domestic gross after first release was less then $28 mln), second in 1941, third in 1942, then in 1947, in 1954, in 1967, in 1974 (after that film has $189,5 mln), in 1989 ($2,4 mln), and once more in 1998 ($6,75 mln)!

• Like 1

So you can't really compare it with Titanic.

I think Titanic is still the biggest initial run of all time without re release or staying in theatres forever because there was no tv or recording devices and theathres were the only way you could go to see a film.

Titanci accomplished that with that technology available to all.

E.T. still tops it and there was early forms of VCR and Betamax, the beginnings of cable, regular broadcast TV, arcades/video games, etc. during its 1982-1983 run. Even with Titanic's re-release and E.T's re-releases taken into account - E.T. slightly edges it out. Or at least equals it. 

And Gone With the Wind had a significantly smaller US population and a relatively mediocre economy to deal with. So its numbers are still pretty impressive when you consider it didn't have multiplexes or thousands of screens like Titanic did. 

Star Wars - Episode IV was re-released two times... the 1978 and 1981 "re-releases" seem more like expansions than actual re-releases. Box Office Mojo doesn't mention them. The 1982 wasn't even that big, either ($30-35 million in today's dollars). 

Titanic's BO run was easily one of the most impressive of all time (don't see any non-James Cameron directed film ever coming close to selling 125 million tickets at initial release... ever), but it wasn't the only mega-blockbuster to be released after the mass TV boom or cable or home video, etc. 

Edited by mahnamahna

It didn't gross that much in its initial release. BOM simply doesn't have enough data before 1982 to list the grosses of the separate releases. They lump everything together before that date, just as they do with Star Wars, whose $307m initial release is actually the combination of four releases (1977, 1978, 1979, 1981).

Oh. I didn't know that :huh:

more detailed top 3:

[*]Avengers: Age of Ultron ........................ 198 / 530 (2.7x) / 1.210b / 1.740b [*]The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 ... 190 / 505 (2.7x) / ??? / ??? [*]Star Wars Episode VII ........................... 130 / 480 ( 3.7x) / 800 / 1.280b

Edited by water
  • Like 3

Box Office Mojo doesn't mention them.

Box Office Mojo isn't the Gospel. They have full and precise data only from 1982 onwards. They also don't mention the many pre-1989 re-releases of Gone With The Wind. More to the point, the 1981 release is an "expansion" but the 1982 is a re-release?
  • Like 1

more detailed top 3:

[*]Avengers: Age of Ultron ........................ 198 / 530 (2.7x) / 1.210b / 1.740b

[*]The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 ... 190 / 505 (2.7x) / ??? / ???

[*]Star Wars Episode VII ........................... 130 / 480 ( 3.7x) / 800 / 1.280b

If SW7 misses 500 with the OT cast AND 3D AND IMAX then that'd be ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Box Office Mojo isn't the Gospel. They have full and precise data only from 1982 onwards. They also don't mention the many pre-1989 re-releases of Gone With The Wind. More to the point, the 1981 release is an "expansion" but the 1982 is a re-release?

Well the original Star Wars never really left theaters until 1981/1982. It was at least playing on a couple screens at any given time. No different than Titanic getting more screens later in its run (up and down depending on the week). Even without the two major re-releases, the original Star Wars still sold more tickets than Titanic in its initial run. 

more detailed top 3:

[*]Avengers: Age of Ultron ........................ 198 / 530 (2.7x) / 1.210b / 1.740b

[*]The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 ... 190 / 505 (2.7x) / ??? / ???

[*]Star Wars Episode VII ........................... 130 / 480 ( 3.7x) / 800 / 1.280b

Swap Star Wars Episode VII and Mockingjay 2 (not OWs but spots and DOM totals). Maybe add $50 million to Avengers 2? I don't know - Star Wars Episode VII missing $500 million with all of the hype would only happen if it was worse than Phantom Menace, which I doubt based on how much Disney wants LucasFilm to succeed. 

[*]mj2 is a 2015 movie so you kind of have to predict it for this thread... Nothing says you have to do it now, its not the Summer game.

[*]gotg would easily have made the exact same amount of money made by any other studio, if it was the exact same movie with the exact same marketing Not in 1,000,000 years. Look at GL, F4, Pac Rim, Serenity did these movie and countless others get anywhere the upcoming 275M mark?

[*]yes there is nothing extra in aou.. no new characters that had their own movies in phase 2 therefore it has nothing special since the team-up novelty already happened with the first avengers. Again you haven't been tracking AOU in the news. Doesn't need new characters.

[*]yes i have that's where i'm getting my opinions

[*]what am i supposed to be seeing in the first post? it just confirms what i said that there are no new characters with their own movies EDIT oh you mean clubs sure thing

obviously aou will still be huge including some bump from being a team-up but that being said 530m is still huge

why in the world would i bet o/u my prediction?? that's what i think it will do, not over, not under, that. obviously it's a rounded prediction so it could be over or under a bit but i think it will be around there. under 210m ow.

also tpm was the most hyped movie ever and will never have that title taken away because today's market is so crowded. but it "only" sold 80-85m tickets, which is absolutely out of the question for episode 7 unless it breaks out on its own, not because of the star wars name

Bet is 530M for you and for me must be over 600M for me. So I win if it gets 600M+ you win at >530M-600M, is >the under sign?

So bet on O/U 210M OW?

Why SW?

• Like 1

Well the original Star Wars never really left theaters until 1981/1982. It was at least playing on a couple screens at any given time. No different than Titanic getting more screens later in its run (up and down depending on the week). Even without the two major re-releases, the original Star Wars still sold more tickets than Titanic in its initial run.

Star Wars in 1978 got a massive new marketing campaign AND was called a re-release back then. EXACTLY like Titanic getting some more screens late in its run.And, again, the 1982 is a "major re-release" but the 1981 isn't? Because BOM says so?
  • Like 3

Star Wars remains one of the most financially successful films of all time. The film earned $1,554,475 through its opening weekend ($6.05 million in today's terms), building up to $7 million weekends as it entered wide release ($27.2 million in today's terms).[3] It replaced Jaws as the highest-earning film in North America just six months into release,[103]eventually earning over $220 million during its initial theatrical run ($856 million in today's terms).[104] Star Wars entered international release towards the end of the year, and in 1978 added the worldwide record to its domestic one,[105] earning $410 million in total.[106] Reissues in 1978, 1979, 1981, and 1982 brought its cumulative gross in Canada and the U.S. to $323 million,[107] and extended its global earnings to $530 million.[108] The film remained the highest-grossing film of all time until E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial broke that record in 1983.[109]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_(film)

Edited by James
  • Like 1

Star Wars in 1978 got a massive new marketing campaign AND was called a re-release back then. EXACTLY like Titanic getting some more screens late in its run.And, again, the 1982 is a "major re-release" but the 1981 isn't? Because BOM says so?

Even without the extra re-releases, Star Wars still tops Titanic if you remove its re-release as well. E.T. also. And Jaws grossed over $1 billion adjusted without a re-release.