Impact

Top 10 of 2015 predictions

Huge number. A Frozen sized hit.

Yes, but you are saying maximum.  Clones did more than that.  So 400 mill could happen, but to say it is the max is just silly, imo.  The numbers just don't support that theory.  

• Like 2

Fine. But regardless of Titanic topping E.T., E.T's run is more impressive because it was a low-budget coming-of-age drama (despite Spielberg's draw power, it still was a mid-level $11 million family movie... don't think Universal would have scheduled The Thing a week later if they thought E.T. would be that huge). Titanic was a heavily marketed $200 million tentpole. 

The budget has nothing to do with the size of ET.  I was alive in 82, in fact, it was the start of my movie going years (age 10).  Trust me when I say that ET was not some small indie film.  It was Universal's summer tent pole.  That film was plastered everywhere and Universal, after the success of Jaws, just 7 years previous, were expecting big things from ET.  

• Like 2

Fine. But regardless of Titanic topping E.T., E.T's run is more impressive because it was a low-budget coming-of-age drama (despite Spielberg's draw power, it still was a mid-level $11 million family movie... don't think Universal would have scheduled The Thing a week later if they thought E.T. would be that huge). Titanic was a heavily marketed $200 million tentpole. 

Titanic only tops E.T. if you don't adjust for inflation. Adjusted for inflation, E.T. is still on top of Titanic.

Titanic only tops E.T. if you don't adjust for inflation. Adjusted for inflation, E.T. is still on top of Titanic.

They'er both massive hits, I think we can all agree on that.

Actually ET's original run adjusts to 939m whereas Titanic original run adjusts to 1068m, so Titanic was bigger adjusted as well ;) Edited by jessie
  • Like 2