Impact

Top 10 of 2015 predictions

You're the one claiming Titanic doesn't have long lasting good will. What proof do you have? What do you have to "back up your argument"? Because saying "I don't like Titanic and Shrek 2 is better" is just an opinion. That's all Mahnamahna has submitted, some arbitrary rank based on his own bias and taste. That's not fact.

Saying that is not "an insult".

I haven't seen him say his opinion was fact though. If I missed him saying that, then my apologies but from where I'm standing he's just saying his opinion on it. ((Why are Titanic and Avatar even being brought up here anyways? Avatar 2 is in 2016)) As far the earlier thing it's mainly because outside of the female audience it gets trashed a lot by people online which I guess isn't the best way to judge goodwill for a movie.

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 1

Since when are you right just because you say so? 

Are you being serious? Titanic was not a well-received four quadrant movie worldwide that became a classic? Stop denying the obvious. I don't give a shit about LOTR and I find them bad, that doesn't mean I can't recognize its impact and appeal. No amount of personal and biased rankings will change that. So stop trying to pass your opinions as unquestionable truth, that makes you totally immature, kiddo.

Edited by dashrendar44

So what it's then? RT? Metacritic?

If box office is an evaluation of quality than Revenge of the Fallen is a masterpiece, nobody wants to live in a world where that's a good movie, so no box office never equals quality ever. It just means you got butts in seats and if it had good WoM that means there was something in the initial run that managed to keep those butts in the seats.For overall objective quality id say find the average from RT critics, top critics, audience, imdb, Metacritic, Metacritic audience, Imdb, and then factor in awards. That's the closest thing you'll get to actual objective quality.
  • Like 2

The PT was never well-liked but the OT is still well-liked. The failures of the PT are put on Lucas and Lucas hasn't been involved with SW7 so I doubt that the Prequel hate'll affect SW7's box office.

But how much GA will care enough about EP VII that it could challenge Avengers 2?Aren't there also plenty of people who feel an EP VII is a bit unnecessary because EP VI felt like a true ending to the saga?
  • Like 2

But how much GA will care enough about EP VII that it could challenge Avengers 2?Aren't there also plenty of people who feel an EP VII is a bit unnecessary because EP VI felt like a true ending to the saga?

I haven't heard anyone say that in my personal experience.

Are you being serious? Titanic was not a well-received four quadrant movie worldwide that became a classic? Stop denying the obvious. I don't give a shit about LOTR and I find them bad, that doesn't mean I can't recognize its impact and appeal. No amount of personal rankings will change that.

I never denied Titanic was four quadrant (aside from mentioning whether little kids and guys would go see it without being dragged by an older sister, a GF, their mom or grandma, etc) but you can twist my words if you want.

I just mentioned there's plenty of four quadrant movies that are significantly higher quality (not just in my eyes, but the general public) than Titanic. And that Titanic is the only true four quadrant movie.

I'd say most classic Disney movies (Snow White, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Bambi, Cinderella, Peter Pan, Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, B&TB, Aladdin, Lion King, Frozen) are significantly more four quadrant than Titanic simply because they're basically G rated and accessible to anyone... Titanic has some strong language and nudity which does cause a noticeable portion of parents to be leery about letting their kids watch it. Some young kids went to see it, but I doubt a large majority of them did considering it's more mature/adult than Avengers or other PG-13 blockbusters. 

My personal rankings just point out that Titanic and Avatar are indeed a little vanilla. Won't deny their impact, but both are vastly overrated, especially compared to the first two Terminators and Aliens. 

Never said my opinion was fact... just stated other four quadrant films that were perceived as higher quality than Titanic in the long run. It is subjective, but most critics would probably agree TDK and E.T. are both significantly higher quality in the story and acting departments compared to Titanic. 

• Like 1

I haven't heard anyone say that in my personal experience.

The only complaint I've heard similar to this (including me) from friends of mine is that they're half excited, half worried. Exicted obviously because their favorite trilogy is being continued. Worried because they're afraid Disney might screw it up, or it'll just be a dumb plot.

• Like 1

The only complaint I've heard similar to this (including me) from friends of mine is that they're half excited, half worried. Exicted obviously because their favorite trilogy is being continued. Worried because they're afraid Disney might screw it up, or it'll just be a dumb plot.

I've heard that. If it gets good/great/amazing reviews and trailers though then I think that worry'll be gone.

• Like 1

I never denied Titanic was four quadrant (aside from mentioning whether little kids and guys would go see it without being dragged by an older sister, a GF, their mom or grandma, etc) but you can twist my words if you want.

I just mentioned there's plenty of four quadrant movies that are significantly higher quality (not just in my eyes, but the general public) than Titanic. And that Titanic is the only true four quadrant movie.

I'd say most classic Disney movies (Snow White, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Bambi, Cinderella, Peter Pan, Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, B&TB, Aladdin, Lion King, Frozen) are significantly more four quadrant than Titanic simply because they're basically G rated and accessible to anyone... Titanic has some strong language and nudity which does cause a noticeable portion of parents to be leery about letting their kids watch it. Some young kids went to see it, but I doubt a large majority of them did considering it's more mature/adult than Avengers or other PG-13 blockbusters. 

My personal rankings just point out that Titanic and Avatar are indeed a little vanilla. Won't deny their impact, but both are vastly overrated, especially compared to the first two Terminators and Aliens. 

Never said my opinion was fact... just stated other four quadrant films that were perceived as higher quality than Titanic in the long run. It is subjective, but most critics would probably agree TDK and E.T. are both significantly higher quality in the story and acting departments compared to Titanic. 

But we were not talking personal tastes or "Which top all time movies is better?". We were talking about the demographics appeal to predict 2015 top 10 and take Titanic as an example of a movie that managed to bring 4 quadrants massively (and yeah young boys too) into theaters to make it the box office phenomenon it was so Avengers 2 and SW7 got to pull that off if they want to challenge Titanic numbers. It's you that for no reason want to slip the debate to say how Titanic is so bad compared to x or y. I prefer Terminator 2 and Batman Returns to Titanic so what? Frankly, I don't give a crap. That's not really the thread for that as it isn't relevant in predicting how those 2015 tentpoles will fare. Go in the Cameron movies thread or "Few of my favourite things" if you want to make personal quality ranks.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

I don't think that's the majority's opinion though, but we'll see.

The point is there *are* people like that out there.Also, the ones really excited for it are mainly the diehards. The GA focuses more on what's popular these days, such as MCU and Hunger Games. Star Wars is more yesteryear than either of those.
  • Like 2

The point is there *are* people like that out there.Also, the ones really excited for it are mainly the diehards. The GA focuses more on what's popular these days, such as MCU and Hunger Games. Star Wars is more yesteryear than either of those.

I really don't think that's true. 

See, I really think Star Wars being a cultural phenomenon will attract the GA, even those that aren't huge SW fans just because it'll be hyped up as the "must see thing" since most people will be seeing it. Unlike Godzilla, SW doesn't need excellent marketing campaigns or trailers (although obviously that would help). The name itself is going to sell. And let's not forget who is dishing this out, Disney. If Disney can sell to the GA GOTG, a movie from which not many except for the diehards have heard from, then I think they can sell SW to unlimited heights.

Let's put this into perspective.

Let's say 10-15 years from now, what if by some possible means (I know this case scenario is highly unrealistic but bare with me) either Disney or some other big corporation were to buy the rights and name of Harry Potter and decide to extend that series past the last book and have the same old cast come back, but he main stars be of their kids.....

Don't you think that would sell out like crazy? Harry Potter, like Star Wars, was a huge phenomenon, even more so WW. Same applies here to SW.

• Like 3

Mainly because Skyfall was a huge success and James Bond is older then SW. Godzilla's also old and it attracted the GA at first.

James Bond is not a good comparison because they've continued to release new Bond films to keep audience attention. And Godzilla did less than what Cap did and what Guardians is going to do.
  • Like 1

James Bond is not a good comparison because they've continued to release new Bond films to keep audience attention. And Godzilla did less than what Cap did and what Guardians is going to do.

Because of meh/bad WoM. Had nothing to do with the property.