rukaio101

Rukaio's Reviews: Year 9 (Competition Time!)

I've decided I'm too bored to wait around for other people to start reviewing. I'm going to start posting my Top 25 list now...

Ship of Lies

Into the Dead

Train 38.

The Legacy of the Joestars: Phantom Blood

The Yellow Wallpaper

Expect 20-16 soon....

• Like 3

Overdrive

Lord of the Flies

The Thin the Fat and the Felon

Star Wars: Age of the Republic

Attack on Titan

• Like 4

Phoenix Wright

Beauty and the Beast

Battle for Brazil

The House of Atreus

Fortune's Hunters

• Like 4

5cm per Second

Suicide is Painless

Numbers Theory

Log Horizon

(Screw the haters. I enjoyed the hell out of doing this film)

Scrooge McDuck

• Like 5

Sir Thyme's Time 2

Dauntless

Walking Alone

Cybernetic 7

Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs the Underworld

And there's one film I'm going to give a very special mention to which is technically my real favourite of the year, but I decided not to put on this list for reasons I'll explain.

Mystery Science Theatre 3000: Thomas the Tank Engine

Now, I didn't put this on the list partially because it's a bit of a faux pas to put your own film in first and partially because it's not technically a real film. But I love the fuck out of this. I honestly think it's the best thing I've done in this game so far. Definitely the funniest. It's rare that I can even reread any of my projects without instinctively cringing at my perceived awfulness. It's even rarer that I can find one this funny. Honestly, I'm not sure I'll be able to top it any time soon, but if I can capture even a part of its hilarity in the sequels, I'll be a happy man.

Okay, that's my list done. I'm going to start the Critical Consensus thread in a few minutes so nobody do it before me or I will strike you down with righteous anger.

• Like 2

For those interested, tomorrow I'm planning on doing some early Oscar predics/analysis, like I did last year. Although I'm just going to be sticking to the major categories.

I may also end up announcing the hosts of this year's Oscars, so keep your fingers crossed.

Oscar Predicts time! I think I'll start with the big one, Best Picture.

All but certain to be nominated

The Battle for Brazil

Three #1's is pretty definitive on that point.

Very likely to be nominated

Cybernetic 7

The House of Atreus

The first is a movie I've been pushing pretty heavily for a BP nom and has both the maturity and strong critical reaction to back it up. The second is a well received Numerator Oscar film. C7's footing is a little less sure being an animation, but I'd be surprised if  one of the two didn't make the list.

Fighting for the remaining spots

Train 38

Suicide is Painless

Hateful Eight Redux

Scrooge McDuck

Pretty much the only films left with either strong Oscar backing or a high enough total on the Critical Consensus to be considered. Out of the lot, I'd call Train 38 the most likely to get a nom (to the point where I was considering putting it on the 'Very Likely' list). Despite being the highest rated of the four, I'm iffy about Scrooge McDuck. It's very unOscarish material and as I mentioned before, animations tend to have a disadvantage when it comes to the BP race (especially here since C7 has already staked out a spot).

Potential Dark Horse Nomination

Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs the Underworld/Dauntless

The two highest ranked blockbusters. Out of the two though, despite currently being the lowest ranked, I'd say Dauntless has more of a chance that Norris/Neeson, being a more serious tale by a classic director and having strong visuals (albeit perhaps not to the extent of Mushishi). Also, appearing on two Top 5 lists can't hurt.

Most likely Winner

The Battle for Brazil

Like I said, three #1's is pretty definitive on that point.

• Like 3

I'll move onto something nice and easy now, with Best Animated Feature

All but confirmed for a nomination

Cybernetic 7

Scrooge McDuck

Thyme's Time 2

No doubts here? Didn't think so.

Likely to be nominated

Me & My Shadow

Log Horizon

This five seems the most likely line-up, being the only major decently received animations this year. Out of the five, I'd say Log Horizon has the least sure footing, but I don't see any of the other candidates beating it.

Potential Dark Horse

The Beast of Loch Ness

Probably the best received of 'the rest'. That said, the reception is still mixed at best so I don't see this catching up.

Most likely winner

Cybernetic 7

The clear frontrunner at the moment. Although it's close enough that things could possibly end up changing.

• Like 2

Best Actor seems a good choice next. We're surprisingly slim for candidates this year, something I'd blame on an underwhelming response to most of this years Oscar baiters.

All but confirmed for nomination

Ewan McGregor- Battle for Brazil

Richard Armitage- The House of Atreus

BfB and HoA are both Oscar frontrunners and supply plenty of meat for their candidates to prove themselves. Admittedly, there's a chance Fassbender might get HoA's spot, but I think Armitage put in the much stronger performance so I'm betting on him.

Likely for nomination

Colin Farrell- Suicide is Painless

Michael Shannon- Hateful Eight Redux

By virtue of being in relatively well received Oscar films. Out of the two, Shannon probably has the weaker footing (due to being part of an ensemble cast) and, were the competition not very shallow this year, I probably wouldn't even have considered him. But he does enough. Farrell is relatively secure. SiP gives him plenty to work with.

Fighting for the last remaining spots

Clive Owen- Dauntless

Simon Pegg- The Thin the Fat and the Felon

Normally, I would've considered these two darkhorses at best (due to being in a blockbuster and western/comedy respectively) but, looking over the competition, I really don't think there's anyone else who has a chance. Most of the other oscar vehicles are so far behind these two in terms of reception, they're barely worth considering. And, quite frankly, both actors do have a lot to work with in their respective films and have plenty of room to shine. Honestly, I wouldn't be too surprised if they both supplanted Shannon for the nom. I'd barely give Owen the edge at the moment, but it's so close really either could take it.

Most likely winner

Ewan McGregor- The Battle for Brazil

Yeah, from the looks of things BfB is really going to sweep most of its categories.

• Like 1

Best Actress next. And if you thought the pickings for Best Actor were bad.....

All but confirmed

Chloe Grace Moretz- Suicide is Painless

Kate Winslet- Train 38

By virtue of being the only real major candidates at the moment.

Olivia Wilde- Walking Alone

Imogen Poots- Dauntless

Anne Hathaway- Beauty and the Beast

Ellen Wong- Attack on Titan

Anna Kendrick- This is Not a Game

Rose Byrne- The Yellow Wallpaper

Now, I know what you're thinking. But this is not scraping the bottom of the barrel. No, this is going straight through the bottom of the barrel and scraping all the way to fucking China. I suppose that at least this brings an element of unpredictability to proceedings. But said unpredictability most revolves around which mediocre and unworthy performance will make it. So fun.

Most likely winner

Chloe Grace Moretz/Kate Winslet

By virtue of being the only two real candidates for this. Winslet is in the more popular film, but Moretz has the far more meatier role. So I really can't tell you who's going to win. It could be either. But no matter what, we're really going to need to up our game next year for this category.

• Like 1

I don't think House of Atreus will get nominated since you need Top 5 votes and aside from me (not a spoiler) it has none from the released lists. It would depend on the non-listers to suddenly come in to push it.

I think you're underestimating it. A decent number of people (myself included) don't always vote for the films in their Top 5 in their Oscar picks (my reasoning being that Oscars are for what films I objectively think are the best rather than my favourites due to taste (aka my Top 5)). And, while HoA isn't in many Top 5's, it is one of the most widely appreciated films and only needs to jump a few places in most lists to make the picks.

I suppose it's possible it will miss out, but I'd still call it likely.

I'll keep up the best acting theme and go for Best Voice Actor/Actress next. And it's bizarre just how much stronger the Animation category is than the live-action this year. It's like a reversal of last year.

All but confirmed

Maisie Williams- Cybernetic 7

Alan Young- Scrooge McDuck

Jack McBrayer- Thyme's Time 2

Because duh.

John Hurt- Cybernetic 7

Miles Teller- Me & My Shadow

Hugh Dancy- Log Horizon

I know what you're thinking, and I may be getting ahead of myself, but C7 has such a strong ensemble cast, I can honestly see it getting multiple nominations. And besides, it's John Hurt. That said, I'm really not too sure which of these three will miss out. I could see any of them not making it.

Most likely winner

Maisie Williams- Cybernetic 7

I said a few months ago I was confident I had just written a Best Voice Actress winner for Williams and I'm still sticking by that now. Even if C7 somehow misses taking home Best Animated Feature, her character and performance is just so far ahead of the rest, I can't see her losing.

• Like 1

We'll go Best Supporting Voice Actor/Actress next.

All but confirmed

Either Mark Strong or Emma Thompson- Cybernetic 7

Jeff Bridges- Thyme's Time 2

Again, duh. And for those wondering, Strong and Thompson are the two mains I'm pushing for Best Supporting so unless they massively split the vote, at least one is likely to make it.

The other half of Strong/Thompson- Cybernetic 7

One of Scrooge McDuck's cast

Elizabeth Banks- Log Horizon

Bo Burnham- Me & My Shadow

The reason I'm not entirely sure McDuck's cast will make it is because C00k13 hasn't particularly specified one main candidate and, quite frankly, none of them really stand out enough for me. The rest are there for the same reasons as is in the Best Voice Actor predicts.

Potential darkhorse

Near anyone else from Cybernetic 7

It's a very strong ensemble.

Most likely winner

One of the Cybernetic 7 duo

Unless they end up splitting the vote, this seems most likely. Like I said, it's a very strong ensemble.

• Like 1