Olive

Weekend #'s FIOS: 48.2, EOT: 29.1

Agree. Too many here see a big drop as meaning wom is bad.The summer movie season is so jammed with event movies people want to see that, for many, it literally has become a sport of sorts.You see everything as soon as it comes out and then move on to the next one. The huge expansion of the marketplace can accommodate the demand now as we know.FioS doing almost $50 million is a fantastic opening.

Well put.  

I had never heard of this book 6 months ago.  Then some started hyping it here and then the crazy predictions started coming in.

I'm glad people hyped the book because I bought it and read it in three days.  Such a great story and a very good movie.

• Like 1

The general box office logic is that if a film opens large it has broken out and will appeal to even wider audience..

However in the past few years, films get marketed really well and open well above expectations but fail to break out beyond the target group.

For example we saw this with IM3, MOS, Godzilla and others so far this year .

• Like 1

..WHAT!?

Posted Image

The market is in complete collapse. Plus Snow White was a beast 2 years ago with one of the best campaigns of 2012 over here. Maleficent had a shitty marketing campaign. It is going to fly past Oz's OW. I can accept this OW considering the horrible numbers posted by every movie opening since Easter. Hell, A Million Ways is also opening this weekend and it is flopping, even with a good marketing campaign. At this point, I am happy with every movie that doesn't outright bomb, and so far since Easter only X-Men and Maleficent did that.

Edited by CJohn

The market is in complete collapse. Plus Snow White was a beast 2 years ago with one of the best campaigns of 2012 over here. Maleficent had a shitty marketing campaign. It is going to fly past Oz's OW. I can accept this OW considering the horrible numbers posted by every movie opening since Easter. Hell, A Million Ways is flopping and also opening this weekend. At this point, I am happy with every movie that doesn't outright bomb, and so far since Easter only X-Men and Maleficent did that.

Poor Portugal. :(

Posted Image

The market is in complete collapse. Plus Snow White was a beast 2 years ago with one of the best campaigns of 2012 over here. Maleficent had a shitty marketing campaign. It is going to fly past Oz's OW. I can accept this OW considering the horrible numbers posted by every movie opening since Easter. Hell, A Million Ways is also opening this weekend and it is flopping, even with a good marketing campaign. At this point, I am happy with every movie that doesn't outright bomb, and so far since Easter only X-Men and Maleficent did that.

Portugal: The land of the movie bombs :P

Portugal: The land of the movie bombs :P

For every day that passes and every movie that bombs, Noah's result impresses me more. 200500 tickets sold total. That is insane compared to everything else that opened this year not named 12 Years a Slave and The Wolf of Wall Street.

• Like 1

The general box office logic is that if a film opens large it has broken out and will appeal to even wider audience.. However in the past few years, films get marketed really well and open well above expectations but fail to break out beyond the target group. For example we saw this with IM3, MOS, Godzilla and others so far this year .

IM3? That made over $400m. It went beyond the target group.
  • Like 1