Olive

Weekend #'s FIOS: 48.2, EOT: 29.1

I've gone by the "fuck Deadline/Nikki, wait for Rth" method for a while now. I can safely say it was the way to go.

Normally when people post Deadline #'s I don't even read them. Tonight was the exception. 

Star power is no longer the main driver for 90+% of films - it's all about the concept - and the concepts that seem to sell are well known brands. Angelina's star persona as an actress matched up with Maleficent and Disney knows how to sell live action fairy tell re imaginations (pity they aren't as good at making them as they are animated one) and the trailers looked great = $$$ Cruise showed with MI4 he can still sell in the right brand. And as star he gives a floor - the movie is going to under perform but it won't be an outright bomb like Jupiter might have been. Overseas though still buys into established star power more than the U.S. -  even Stateside bombs by Arnold and Sly make decent money overseas for the most part.

Star power and 3D are still reasonably popular overseas.Why are they behind the curve?

when they post numbers at 2am, they're usually fairly close

Yeah they have been doing that for sometime now..a few weeks. They get the big movies down very well.

Even with a 6.3m(-47%) weekend taking it to 185.4m, 200m looks tough for Godzilla.

It's behind ASM2's pace now (it did $7.8m it's 4th w/e) at almost the same total ($184.9m) and will be behind it after Monday.  ASM2 though looks to make $200m now maybe $202-3m but I don't think Godzilla will.

• Like 1

Even with a 6.3m(-47%) weekend taking it to 185.4m, 200m looks tough for Godzilla.

One interesting thing to look at over the next 2 weeks is that any movie that can hold it's theater count when HTTYD and 22JS open next weekend should be able to hold most of their theater the following week too, as the following 2 openers shouldn't steal a ton of screens.

So the strongest genres are superheroes, young adult and fairy tales, in that order.Where does original sci-fi fit in looking at recent global numbers for Elysium, Pacific Rim, Oblivion, etc?Any chance Hollywood will give up on the genre like they did Westerns?