Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

It's just the weight of the expectations. If it opens to 52m, a 4.2 multiplier will give it 218.4m, close to the first one. I think most were expecting 250m+. It can still be top 3 films of the summer (though that would partly be to the merit of a dull summer).

I think it will do better than a 4.2 multiplier, especially with it opening in the 50s.  Lower opening = higher potential multiplier.  Toy Story 3 = incredibly high opening = somewhat low multiplier

• Like 1

I am depressed.They finally produce a crown jewel franchise and can't promote it. Pathetic work by Fox/DreamWorks marketing.It will leg it out to a good overall number thanks to Dubois, Powell etc. But the massive 300 million number can't happen without marketng help and it looks like they threw a ton if cash away.

I agree, although I thought the LEGO Movie was better, 2014 has had some fantastic animations.

It's a shame that 2013s animations were really bland overall (Frozen was the only exception) yet they pulled massive numbers, yet 2014 has had some fantastic animations yet they aren't reaching the heights of the 2013 movies (LEGO pulled great numbers Im not complaining)

• Like 1

Also, at everyone saying 23 Jump Street for 2016/2017... there's only one plotline I could see them doing and even that's a longshot. I don't see Lord Miller returning either, and I don't see Tatum or Hill returning without them

I think it will do better than a 4.2 multiplier, especially with it opening in the 50s.  Lower opening = higher potential multiplier.  Toy Story 3 = incredibly high opening = somewhat low multiplier

If we look at all June animations (ow, dom total, multiplier) :

TS3 110.3m 415m 3.76

MU 82.4m 268.5m 3.26

Brave 66.3m 237.3m 3.58

Cars2 66.1m 191.4m 2.89

Wall-e 63m 223.8m 3.55

Madagascar3 60.3m 216.3m 3.59

KFP 60.2m 215.4m 3.58

Cars 60.1m 244.1m 4.06

Ratatouille 47m 206.4m 4.39

So it could do better than 4.2. I think Ratatouille's 4.39 is close to the max it can do though.

TS3's 3.76 is the biggest after Cars and Ratatouille.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

Rth just posted in the HTTYD2 thread that he revised his numbers up to 21.5-24 for Dragons!

24 would be awesome

:rant:

Yes, 24M would be great! :)

Edit: You tricked me. :(

:slaphead:

He was kidding

Err... I don't know how to say this..

Well, Noctis, you do it. Your damn fault anyway..

I know that now. :(

After knowing that it's(higher numbers) a lie & lower no's are true  

Posted Image Edited by Ash
  • Like 4

It's just the weight of the expectations. If it opens to 52m, a 4.2 multiplier will give it 218.4m, close to the first one. I think most were expecting 250m+. It can still be top 3 films of the summer (though that would partly be to the merit of a dull summer).

Cap and Lego will probably stay top 5 domestically all year. 

Edited by druv10
  • Like 2

22 Jump Street has more action sequences and location scenes than the first so I would have thought along with pay increases, the budget would be bumped up, not tentpole budget but larger than an average comedy.

The budget was bumped up... they just ran out of it halfway

:lol:

If we look at all June animations (ow, dom total, multiplier) :

TS3 110.3m 415m 3.76

MU 82.4m 268.5m 3.26

Brave 66.3m 237.3m 3.58

Cars2 66.1m 191.4m 2.89

Wall-e 63m 223.8m 3.55

Madagascar3 60.3m 216.3m 3.59

KFP 60.2m 215.4m 3.58

Cars 60.1m 244.1m 4.06

Ratatouille 47m 206.4m 4.39

So it could do better than 4.2. I think Ratatouille's 4.39 is close to the max it can do though.

TS3's 3.76 is the biggest after Cars and Ratatouille.

Yeah, I mean there are different factors.  Wall-E would have made more but that was the summer of The Dark Knight, so that killed its multiplier.  Do Madagascar or Cars have a 93% RT score and 91% audience score?  Nope.  The word of mouth for Dragon will be just about as good as the word of mouth for Frozen - and it does not have something like The Dark Knight in its way.

• Like 1

Dreamworks is also inconsistent in quality, sometimes they make excellent animations in both the CGI and the quality, other times it's complete mediocrity.  

It's sad HTTYD2 has to suffer, it was a great movie.

IMO, every DreamWorks Animation has been worth my time since Kung Fu Panda 1

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of the first dragon film (I thought it should've won the best animation oscar over TS3 tbh) but I don't really feel any excitement for this sequel either and I'm not exactly sure why. 

And you still call yourself a huge fan? O.õ

I crazy for this sequel. 

• Like 2