#ED

Wknd Est: TLM2 - 30M, 22JS - 29M, HTTYD - 25.3M, JB - 13.5, [DOFP - 6.2M]

Crap I fell asleep for a few hours, woke up to use the bathroom and now I haven't been able to back to sleep.Anyway does anyone think if Cruise hadn't done Oblivion, EOT might be doing a little better?

Cruise has nothing to do with this. If Oblivion was actually good, Edge of Tomorrow would've done just as good. Oblivion opened to 37M with decent marketing, so this could've done much more with great marketing. It had shitty marketing and it still opened to 30M. I wouldn't blame Cruise on this one. These two movies are totally different. It's the studio's fault that they couldn't make them look like that.

I wonder if Apocalypse will surpass the Last Stand? You'd think so but that assumption can't really be made

I would say no. Apocalypse will be a sequel to First Class, right? That means we won't be getting both casts (as in young and old). Considering Singer won't direct, the quality probably won't be there to make it a great and a must see anyway. The X-men franchise has reached its peak for some time. It can only go down now.

HTTYD2 will get around 23-24m this weekend. Even with a 4x multiplier from here on, it will only finish with 165m.

Many people had pegged it for the biggest movie of the summer. But it will not even make Top-5.

Not that it counts for anything, but here are the average predictions from folks in baumer's game:

HTTYD2 - 317

TF4 - 298

TASM2 - 245

X-Men DOFP - 242

Godzilla - 226

Dawn of The Planet Of The Apes - 217

Maleficent - 170

22 Jump St - 155

GOTG - 155

Actual Expected Final Numbers:

HTTYD2 - 175?

TASM2 - 201

X-Men - 229

Godzilla - 200

22 Jump Street - 195?

Maleficent - 215

I wonder if Apocalypse will surpass the Last Stand? You'd think so but that assumption can't really be made

I can see Apocalypse improve if only because it won't have any of that time travel nonsense that was in DOFP, which probably confused much of the casual audience. :ph34r:

Not that it counts for anything, but here are the average predictions from folks in baumer's game:

HTTYD2 - 317

TF4 - 298

TASM2 - 245

X-Men DOFP - 242

Godzilla - 226

Maleficent - 170

22 Jump St - 155

GOTG - 155

HTTYD2 - 175?

TASM2 - 201

X-Men - 229

Godzilla - 200

22 Jump Street - 195?

Maleficent - 215

This is really Star Trek Into Darkness all over again. That movie had the disadvantage of being disliked by many people in the general audience, but I really can't understand why people don't watch this movie. I doubt time affects so much as some people claim it does. People will see the spots and they will remember the movie. No one actually goes 'Meh, 5 years. Not worth seeing it now'

HTTYD2 - 317

TF4 - 298

TASM2 - 245

X-Men DOFP - 242

Godzilla - 226

Maleficent - 170

22 Jump St - 155

GOTG - 155

HTTYD2 - 175?

TASM2 - 201

X-Men - 229

Godzilla - 200

22 Jump Street - 195?

Maleficent - 215

WAY too many overpredicted movies. <_<

3 mainstream, wide release movies have had an African-American as the main character so far this year (out of 68 mainstream movies).  These 3 movies have RT scores of 18%, 23%, and 69%.  Average out the 3 movies and you get an average RT of 37%.  Spike Lee was correct when he said that films like 12 Years a Slave or The Butler are really rare for the movie industry to make.  They are not the norm.  These 3 movies are the norm, or something dumb like Big Momma's House, Bad Boys 2, etc.  The movie industry should stop having such low standards for African-Americans who go to the movies.  They deserve better movies.  To be fair, people of all races go see dumb crap like Transformers sequels in high numbers, but at least Caucasian people get to star in a wide variety of movies and roles.

Nigeria produces about as many movies as Holywood. I gues they have 100% African main characters.

Plenty to choose for African Americans, if they prefer their actors black.

This is really Star Trek Into Darkness all over again.

This is actually worse.

WAY too many overpredicted movies. <_<

I don't know why you say that. X-Men was pretty damn close. Godzilla was just slightly overpredicted. And Maleficent and 22JS were underpredicted.

ngl I'm surprised about maleficent. I don't think I've heard a positive comment about that movie lol guess angie is a big draw indeed

Families with young children really have almost nothing to go to right now. I'm not surprised about Maleficent breaking out.

Why did people predict that HTTYD 2 would break out?I'm not saying it in a trolling way because I'm genuinely curious as the first one was a big hit but it wasn't exactly a pop culture phenomenon like the original Toy Story or even the Lion King back in the day.

Why did people predict that HTTYD 2 would break out?I'm not saying it in a trolling way because I'm genuinely curious as the first one was a big hit but it wasn't exactly a pop culture phenomenon like the original Toy Story or even the Lion King back in the day.

People here seem to love it. I guess it was just expected that the follow up would be a huge success. The same situation with KFP and KFP2.

Edited by ECSTASY

They thought it would be the next Shrek 2 or DM2, forgetting that the first Dragon was never a cultural phenomenon. The same thing happened with KFP2.

Despicable Me 2.

• Like 1

Why did people predict that HTTYD 2 would break out?

Because the people who saw it really liked the first one. And because of the extreme lack of other animated movies this summer.

The thought was that since it was the only major animated release of the summer, it would be huge.

• Like 1

ngl I'm surprised about maleficent. I don't think I've heard a positive comment about that movie lol guess angie is a big draw indeed

Somebody has to be liking it
  • Like 1

Because the people who saw it really liked the first one. And because of the extreme lack of other animated movies this summer.

The thought was that since it was the only major animated release of the summer, it would be huge.

Instead they went to see Maleficent instead. <_<

I would say no. Apocalypse will be a sequel to First Class, right? That means we won't be getting both casts (as in young and old). Considering Singer won't direct, the quality probably won't be there to make it a great and a must see anyway. The X-men franchise has reached its peak for some time. It can only go down now.

Tatum playing Gambit, large-scale destruction, and nobody has actually said Singer's not directing. 

• Like 3