La Binoche

Tues #s (Rth): 22j 4.4,HTTYD2 4.3,TLAM2 2.5,Malef 2.3,JB 2

Red Skull is great. Hugo Weaving was quite good in the role, and I'm disappointed that he's not interested in coming back, since I felt they left his character unresolved.

I didn't like Red Skull at all or the Hydra parts without Captain America in it, lol.

• Like 1

The greatest show on earth, man.

I won't go that far. But it's a really solid film.

That is very sad. What kind of preconceptions did you have? Was it the love story that turned you off?

Hoo... Okay, at the time it came out, there was this sense that James Cameron had betrayed... well, his fans. His previous works were these high concept sci-fi action films, and here is is making, yes, a love story, but mostly a film that was for girls.  And I don't know if I can rightly describe myself as sexist at the time, but I was much younger and had far less understanding of sexism and such than I do now.

And it went on and became this monster film and it passed STAR WARS of all things and that was this sort of slight against greatness that couldn't be tolerated. So I didn't see it, and mostly made a jokes about how I knew everything that would happen. I could sum up Titanic in four words: Boat sinks, guy dies.

A few years previously, I'd read A Night To Remember, as well, so I sorta had this affront about Cameron not being true to history.

It was funny talking to various people who had seen it that they all just sorta dismissed half the film. Some people were like that the first half with the love story and the class relations and such was all useless, and it didn't matter until you got to the sinking, which was a fun adventure with great effects and such. And others were all about the period costumes, so they loved the first half and didn't care for the second.

My mental state has changed considerably since then. I really go for things that are constructed well. I can see and unpack what's strong and what resonates for good emotion. Even knowing everything, the ending choked me up a bit.  The odd thing is that I really appreciate both halves. The film wouldn't work if you cut out either to a significant degree. (It may be possible to make it shorter, but it doesn't feel necessarily long.)

Cameron is an exemplary filmmaker, but mostly because he's really good at connecting to the audience. He doesn't have tics that others do, so his style isn't necessarily apparent, but he's doing something that's amazing that I don't know if anyone else really has done, not on a global scale at least. Titanic is probably him at his absolute peak.

So, yeah, it's a solid piece of work. It's probably not going to go down as one of my all time favorites, but I'll give it a 5/5. I'm really glad I gave it a chance.

• Like 2

I didn't like Red Skull at all or the Hydra parts without Captain America in it, lol.

I enjoyed it immensely. I just enjoy The Red Skull as a villain.

Again the thing that pisses me off was that we never saw what really happened to The Red Skull, if anything Loki's scepter could have zapped him to the 21st century.

• Like 2

I won't go that far. But it's a really solid film.

Hoo... Okay, at the time it came out, there was this sense that James Cameron had betrayed... well, his fans. His previous works were these high concept sci-fi action films, and here is is making, yes, a love story, but mostly a film that was for girls.  And I don't know if I can rightly describe myself as sexist at the time, but I was much younger and had far less understanding of sexism and such than I do now.

And it went on and became this monster film and it passed STAR WARS of all things and that was this sort of slight against greatness that couldn't be tolerated. So I didn't see it, and mostly made a jokes about how I knew everything that would happen. I could sum up Titanic in four words: Boat sinks, guy dies.

A few years previously, I'd read A Night To Remember, as well, so I sorta had this affront about Cameron not being true to history.

It was funny talking to various people who had seen it that they all just sorta dismissed half the film. Some people were like that the first half with the love story and the class relations and such was all useless, and it didn't matter until you got to the sinking, which was a fun adventure with great effects and such. And others were all about the period costumes, so they loved the first half and didn't care for the second.

My mental state has changed considerably since then. I really go for things that are constructed well. I can see and unpack what's strong and what resonates for good emotion. Even knowing everything, the ending choked me up a bit.  The odd thing is that I really appreciate both halves. The film wouldn't work if you cut out either to a significant degree. (It may be possible to make it shorter, but it doesn't feel necessarily long.)

Cameron is an exemplary filmmaker, but mostly because he's really good at connecting to the audience. He doesn't have tics that others do, so his style isn't necessarily apparent, but he's doing something that's amazing that I don't know if anyone else really has done, not on a global scale at least. Titanic is probably him at his absolute peak.

So, yeah, it's a solid piece of work. It's probably not going to go down as one of my all time favorites, but I'll give it a 5/5. I'm really glad I gave it a chance.

Wow Damien Roc. Thanks for explaining that. I was just curious. The love story was great but the disaster portion of the movie was so incredible. The way Cameron intertwined the class issues, with the love story, and the epic disaster in the last 1 hour or so is unprecedented. The scale and the detail of the sinking right down to the last drop and Jack and Rose's survival up until that point was both thrilling and breathtaking. I still to do this day am in awe of this movie and what Cameron did.

• Like 2

That's like the ultimate King Stellan performance. Such a plum role for him.

I'll get to it eventually. Then there's Under the Skin and Only Lovers Left Alive as well.

Terminator 2 is Cameron's best film IMO but I don't think I dislike a single movie he's done.

I have not seen Piranha 2 though.

Well Cameron did disowned the film and didn't have any say in the final product.

Edited by Fancyarcher

Wow Damien Roc. Thanks for explaining that. I was just curious. The love story was great but the disaster portion of the movie was so incredible. The way Cameron intertwined the class issues, with the love story, and the epic disaster in the last 1 hour or so is unprecedented. The scale and the detail of the sinking right down to the last drop and Jack and Rose's survival up until that point was both thrilling and breathtaking. I still to do this day am in awe of this movie and what Cameron did.

James Cameron is an exceptional director. No one makes movies that connect with such a wide range of audience quite like he does.
  • Like 2

.. what did you just say?

He tries too hard to scandalize the audience. But it just comes off as boring. He's like a little kid who's just learned a bad word and wants to shock all the grown-ups by repeating it over and over again. Like the scene in Nympho where that anorexic actress with no facial expression spat out the semen on the train. 

Edited by La Binoche

The ultimate Stellan performance is in Deep Blue Sea, especially when he's used as bait.

Now that's an underrated movie. The SLJ iconic scene alone make it awesome.
  • Like 4