Walt Disney

Actors and their signature roles

This is a thread about actors and their signature roles. Some actors, no matter how many great roles they have had and how many great movies they have been in, are remembered for one signature character. I wanted to list actors and actresses and what I believe is their signature role (if they have one that can be called their signature role).

Everyone is welcome to reply with other actors and actresses and their signature roles. Or, you're welcome to disagree with me and choose a different character who you think an actor will always be known for.

1. Marlon Brando - Don Vito Corleone

2. Christopher Reeve- Superman

3. Sean Connery- James Bond

4. Robert Downey Jr. - Iron Man

5. Chris Evans - Captain America

6. Johnny Depp - Jack Sparrow

7. Sylvester Stallone - Rocky (tough one between Rocky and Rambo, but I think it's Rocky)

8. Harrison Ford - Indiana Jones (another tough one because of Han Solo)

9. Eddie Murphy- Axel Foley

10. Bruce Willis - John McClane

11. Arnold Schwarzenegger- the Terminator

12. Anthony Hopkins - Hannibal Lector

13. William Shatner- Captain Kirk

14. Michael J. Fox - Marty McFly

15. Christopher Lloyd- Dr. Emmitt Brown

16. Julia Roberts- Vivian Ward

17. Judy Garland- Dorothy Gale

18. Robert Englund- Freddy Kruger

19. Heath Ledger- The Joker

20. Will Ferrell- Ron Burgundy

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 1

Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump

Morgan Freeman - Red

Samuel L. Jackson - Jules Winnfield

Tom Cruise - Ethan Hunt

Robin Williams - Dan Hillard/Euphegenia Doubtfire

Michael Caine - Alfred Pennyworth

Robert De Niro - Jake La Motta

Cameron Diaz - Mary

Ian McKellen - Gandalf

Gary Oldman - Commissioner Gordon

Will Smith - Steven Hiller (His breakout role, Agent Jay was pretty much the exact same character)

Matt Damon - Jason Bourne

I think Julia Roberts is probably better known for either Anna Scott or Erin Brockovich.

Edited by tribefan695

Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump

Morgan Freeman - Red

Samuel L. Jackson - Jules Winnfield

Tom Cruise - Ethan Hunt

Robin Williams - Dan Hillard/Euphegenia Doubtfire

Michael Caine - Alfred Pennyworth

Robert De Niro - Jake La Motta

Cameron Diaz - Mary

Ian McKellen - Gandalf

Gary Oldman - Commissioner Gordon

Will Smith - Steven Hiller (His breakout role, Agent Jay was pretty much the exact same character)

Matt Damon - Jason Bourne

I think Julia Roberts is probably better known for either Anna Scott or Erin Brockovich.

I disagree with almost all of these. None of these actors really seemed tied to a certain character with the exception of Ian McKellen as Gandalf. 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 3

I disagree with almost all of these. None of these actors really seemed tied to a certain character with the exception of Ian McKellen as Gandalf. 

Yeah, I agree with you. I can think of multiple roles for most of those actors. There isn't one role that really sticks out to me as a defining role for a lot of them.

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree with you. I can think of multiple roles for most of those actors. There isn't one role that really sticks out to me as a defining role for a lot of them.

I could argue half your list if you go by that narrow definition. For me the signature role is the first one that comes to mind when I hear the actor's name.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

I could argue half your list if you go by that narrow definition. For me the signature role is the first one that comes to mind when I hear the actor's name.

You're free to argue my list. It is very debatable. For example, some may not feel that Schwarzenegger really has a signature role. However, when I say signature role, I mean the role that defines the actor no matter how many other great movies they make. No matter what Sean Connery does, he's always thought of as James Bond. No matter what RDJ does, people will always remember him as Iron Man. No matter what Anthony Hopkins does, people will always think of him as Hannibal Lector.

When people think of Tom Hanks, they don't automatically think Forrest Gump. They think of a bunch of famous roles.

• Like 1

Scarlet Johansson - Black Widow (sure she's known for more then that, but she didn't become a mega star until that role. and has played the character 3-soon to be 4 times.

Jennifer Lawrence - Katiness Everdeen - Sure she is a would famous mega star. but come on she's Katiness

Daniel Radcliffe - Harry Potter 

Toby Maguire - Peter Parker/Spider-Man. (Probably much to the dismay of Mr. Maguire)

Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker

Carrie Fisher - Princess Leia

Keanu Reeves - Neo

Edited by KaloVisor

Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump Morgan Freeman - Red Samuel L. Jackson - Jules Winnfield Tom Cruise - Ethan Hunt Robin Williams - Dan Hillard/Euphegenia Doubtfire Michael Caine - Alfred Pennyworth Robert De Niro - Jake La Motta Cameron Diaz - Mary Ian McKellen - Gandalf Gary Oldman - Commissioner Gordon Will Smith - Steven Hiller (His breakout role, Agent Jay was pretty much the exact same character) Matt Damon - Jason Bourne I think Julia Roberts is probably better known for either Anna Scott or Erin Brockovich.

If the highlight of Michael Caines acting life is playing an elderly Alfred, he just turned over in his grave....and he isn't even dead yet.
  • Like 1

Anthony Hopkins - Hannibal Lector

Andy Serkis - Golem (although one more awesome performance as Caesar could change this)

Harrrison Ford - Indiana Jones

Tobey maguire - Spiderman

Mike Myers - Austin Powers