Blankments

Tuesday Numbers - Tammy 3.4, ETE 1.7, DUFE 1.5, Jersey 744k, TLAM2 662k | Actuals on p16

Had anyone else here ever had a nightmare about a celebrity they love passing on before their time?(I ask this because I had a truly awful dream last night where I logged on to the forums and immediately saw a thread titled "RIP Liam Neeson" :( )

I just watched Non-Stop, and I agree with you there. That would be a nightmare.

• Like 1

Audiences and critics used to get along very well, but everything changed when the Bay nation attacked.

Bay makes films that are filled with entertainment, but not much else. Some movie critics and snobs just can't handle pure entertainment without any substance behind it. Lots of other people can handle it just fine though.

• Like 1

I just watched Non-Stop, and I agree with you there. That would be a nightmare.

Non-Stop was an incredibly average movie. Never once rising to the level of even "slightly above average".

• Like 1

Non-Stop was an incredibly average movie. Never once rising to the level of even "slightly above average".

There were a lot of logic jumps, but it still got me(mainly due to Neeson, who made me believe despite the absurdity of it all).

• Like 1

Bay makes films that are filled with entertainment, but not much else. Some movie critics and snobs just can't handle pure entertainment without any substance behind it. Lots of other people can handle it just fine though.

They liked Fast and Furious 5 and 6. Pretty much all of the MCU films. A great deal of Dreamworks movies. Star Trek. Harry Potter. Spider Man. X-Men. The assumption that critics hate movies that go for fun primarily is prepostorous.
  • Like 5

They liked Fast and Furious 5 and 6. Pretty much all of the MCU films. A great deal of Dreamworks movies. Star Trek. Harry Potter. Spider Man. X-Men. The assumption that critics hate movies that go for fun primarily is prepostorous.

Look, I'm not saying TF4 is some well-written thought-provoking film or anything, but everyone knows that Michael Bay films automatically get a 10-20 point penalty on rottentomatoes.

• Like 1

Look, I'm not saying TF4 is some well-written thought-provoking film or anything, but everyone knows that Michael Bay films automatically get a 10-20 point penalty on rottentomatoes.

Most blockbusters other than Transformers are actually enjoyed by critics. Transformers is an exception, not a rule. First audiences like it, fine, power to them, but it's not really the film to call critics out on.
  • Like 1

Lucy has been tracking pretty well.  In terms of unaided awareness it's about double Edge of Tomorrow.  Who knows.  Maybe it will break out.  

I think Lucy can be like Maleficent at a smaller scale. An opening above 40M and leg it to 160 or so. I am hoping Hercules also does well and opens well. The marketing needs to change from posters of The Rock standing around looking at the title to this

Posted Image

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

"Entertainment" is such an arbitrary term, though.

• Like 2

There were a lot of logic jumps, but it still got me(mainly due to Neeson, who made me believe despite the absurdity of it all).

I like Non-Stop, not that I would watch it again and again like I watch Taken, but it was fine. The villains motivations made little sense, and some of the murders he pulls off are just ridiculous (especially since things would need to line up so well for it to work). But McNairy and Neeson both acted very well, and the mexican standoff at the end along with the zero-G gun pickup works well at the end.

• Like 2

Had anyone else here ever had a nightmare about a celebrity they love passing on before their time?(I ask this because I had a truly awful dream last night where I logged on to the forums and immediately saw a thread titled "RIP Liam Neeson" :( )

Awful thought.

• Like 1

Lucy has been tracking pretty well.  In terms of unaided awareness it's about double Edge of Tomorrow.  Who knows.  Maybe it will break out.

I hope it does for ScarJo.

early reporters from BO.com:

Wide (1000+)

# Title Tue, Jul. 8 2014   Locations   Avg. Total Wks. Dist.
1 Transformers: Age of Extinction $5,230,389 10% 4,233 0 $1,236 $185,396,529 2 Paramount
2 How to Train Your Dragon 2 $1,828,937 27% 3,297 -453 $555 $143,489,474 4 Fox / DreamWorks Animation
3 Maleficent $1,149,336 21% 2,389 -684 $481 $216,020,353 6 Disney
4 The Fault in Our Stars $641,293 15% 1,865 -980 $344 $117,116,996 5 Fox
5 X-Men: Days of Future Past $298,529 8% 1,044 -970 $286 $227,688,282 7 Fox

• Like 1