The Panda

Box Office Forums Official 15 Best Original 21st Century Blockbusters l Deadline August 7

Shit. Both Argo and Catch Me If You Can were based on books.

IAC, my criteria was basically whether or not it earned more than $100m DOM. And also that I didn't think too hard about it. Placements could be quibbled.

1. Frozen2. The Incredibles3. Lilo & Stitch4. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl5. Pacific Rim6. Monsters, Inc.7. Bolt8. Up9. Gravity10. Wall-E11. Inception12. Enchanted13. Brave14. Wreck-it Ralph15. District 9

Rest of the top 25, for the curious:

16. Tangled17. Gladiator18. National Treasure19. Avatar20. Juno21. Kung Fu Panda22. Cast Away23. Django Unchained24. Taken25. The Croods

D9 only cost $30m...

• Like 3

BLACK HAWK DOWN and PERFECT STORM are based on non-fiction books.

1. Inception
2. Gravity
3. Cast Away
4. Wall-E
5. The Incredibles
6. Finding Nemo
7. Monsters Inc
8. Up
9. Ratatouille
10. Collateral
11. The Aviator
12. Avatar
13. Gladiator
14. Pacific Rim
15. Wedding Crashers

I wanna ask about Aviator as it's based on a real person/true story.

Otherewise would say Braveheart (I know DQed by date), or Catch me if you can be acceptable so long as nobody wrote a book about their life that the adaption came from?

• Like 1

Avatar  2009( THE JUGGERNAUT!!!)

Titanic --

Blair Witch Project.. Budget 50,000 and made almost 300M (Hows that for blockbuster-Shouldnt

we put this one in , because to come from such little beginnings to such a run is awe inspiring)

Gladiator-

Star Trek 2009

Sixth Sense.

Edited by Superman001

Avatar  2009( THE JUGGERNAUT!!!)

Titanic --

Blair Witch Project.. Budget 50,000 and made almost 300M (Hows that for blockbuster-Shouldnt

we put this one in , because to come from such little beginnings to such a run is awe inspiring)

Gladiator-

Star Trek 2009

Sixth Sense.

Do you even know what the 21st century is?

• Like 3

D9 only cost $30m...

Yes, well, I only looked at gross over $100m... and I did include an extra 10 if someone decides a few aren't worthy and needs to slot things up.

Hrm. I should have put Spirited Away in there.

Yes, well, I only looked at gross over $100m... and I did include an extra 10 if someone decides a few aren't worthy and needs to slot things up.

Hrm. I should have put Spirited Away in there.

Oh. I thought 200m was the limit for grosses. 200m grosser or 100m+ budget.

• Like 2

Oh. I thought 200m was the limit for grosses. 200m grosser or 100m+ budget.

Seems weird to go by that, especially because you could get a list like:

The Adventures of Pluto Nash

John Carter

Battleship

The Lone Ranger

Stealth

etc. etc. etc. I mean they all cost a ton, but they earned shit, so could hardly be called blockbusters.

But, hey, if $200m is your cutoff point:

1. Frozen2. The Incredibles3. Lilo & Stitch4. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl5. Monsters, Inc.

6. Spirited Away7. Up8. Gravity9. Wall-E10. Inception11. Brave

12. Tangled

13. National Treasure14. Avatar15. Kung Fu Panda

1. Inception2. The Incredibles3. Up4. Gravity5. Pacific Rim6. Wall-E7. Frozen8. Pirates of The Caribbean: Curse of The Black Pearl9. Monsters Inc.10. Gladiator11. Ratatouille12. Django Unchained13. Spirited Away14. National Treasure15. Avatar

Edited by Pokearcher

Seems weird to go by that, especially because you could get a list like:

John Carter

Battleship

The Lone Ranger

Stealth

etc. etc. etc. I mean they all cost a ton, but they earned shit, so could hardly be called blockbusters.

Hey, I'm just as confused as you are. :lol:

Panda makes the call... I'll adjust my list as needed depending on what he says.

• Like 4

1. Inception2. The Incredibles3. Up4. Gravity5. Pacific Rim6. Wall-E7. Frozen8. Pirates of The Caribbean: Curse of The Black Pearl9. Monsters Inc.10. Gladiator11. Ratatouille12. Django Unchained13. Spirited Away14. National Treasure15. Avatar

Spirited Away made only 10m domestically unless we can count its 274m WW blockbuster film.

Pirates is a ride, how to train your dragon is a book series and frozen is the snow queen.

honestly, I don't think we're gonna get a very impressive list here.

I think that's really stretching it.  A theme park ride?  Really?

So, for your consideration, here is a list of films with a budget of at least $100m that failed to reach that mark domestically:

John CarterThe Lone RangerBattleshipJack the Giant SlayerThe Golden Compass47 RoninEdge of TomorrowCowboys & AliensSaharaPoseidonAlexanderKingdom of HeavenMars Needs MomsRIPDStealthThe Adventures of Pluto NashThe AlamoFinal Fantasy: The Spirits WithinTreasure PlanetWindtalkersThe WolfmanXXX: State of the UnionHugoHow Do You KnowAround the World in 80 DaysSpeed RacerPeter PanK-19: The WidowmakerLand of the LostAli

It's possibly not complete.

So, for your consideration, here is a list of films with a budget of at least $100m that failed to reach that mark domestically:

John Carter

The Lone Ranger

Battleship

Jack the Giant Slayer

The Golden Compass

47 Ronin

Edge of Tomorrow

Cowboys & Aliens

Sahara

Poseidon

Alexander

Kingdom of Heaven

Mars Needs Moms

RIPD

Stealth

The Alamo

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Treasure Planet

Windtalkers

The Wolfman

XXX: State of the Union

Hugo

How Do You Know

Around the World in 80 Days

Speed Racer

Peter Pan

K-19: The Widowmaker

Land of the Lost

Ali

It's possibly not complete.

The struck through are all ineligible for not being original (sequels, remakes, adaptations, etc). This was was at first glance, so others on the list may also be ineligible.

Edited by 4815162342