Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Guardians only problem against a 50% drop (or less) is TMNT, but it's looking more and more like Guardians will hurt TMNT more than the other way around.Don't count Disney out this year, they've pulled 3 of the most impressive hits of the year.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

Dawn had a 50% drop. Of course it's coming off a smaller OW yet its still a sequel.  Not saying it's likely but I wouldn't rule it out.

But don't most comic book movies drop more than 50% second weekend? Not saying it can't or won't happen. I'm just not convinced.

• Like 1

The Incredible Hulk in June had a 15.3% drop Sunday and Captain America had a 20.7% drop in July. Avengers had 18.7% in early May. 

Incredible Hulk was mother day i believe, early May usually has sub 20% on Sundays for Marvel tentpoles. The first Captain drop could happen, maybe 18-19%. But thr 14% required for 100m OW is very very difficult

But don't most comic book movies drop more than 50% second weekend? Not saying it can't or won't happen. I'm just not convinced.

Thor dropped less. But in the summer drops are usually harder since more demand is burnt off from days 4-7.

Can't take that college boy-driven imdb top 250 seriously

All fanboy/Marvel movies start off crazy high early on…Avengers was the same thing, like 40 or so weekend of release, now it's currently ranked 185.  GOTG is top 50 now, but it'll drop like everything else. 

• Like 4

Couple things in Guardians favor1.It's not a sequel2.The two best reviewed non-sequels that MCU dropped 50% or less, and Guardians reviews are on par.3.Great WoM and a crowd pleaser that appeals to 4 quadrants.4.It has the family audience that has so far only gotten Planes 2, and then Maleficent and Httyd2 all the way back in June.5.Weak August competition overall (a lot of movies but not a lot that are overly appealing)
  • Like 3

The Nolan Batman trilogy all experienced drops of 8.5 to 13.5% opening in June and July. So comic book movies have often shown good summer Sunday drops.

If I had to predict I would be going for a 17.5-22.5 drop tomorrow.

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 1

All fanboy/Marvel movies start off crazy high early on…Avengers was the same thing, like 40 or so weekend of release, now it's currently ranked 185.  GOTG is top 50 now, but it'll drop like everything else. 

That will be most Marvel films' Achille's heel. They just aren't serious enough to be ...uh, taken that seriously.

• Like 1

That will be most Marvel films' Achille's heel. They just aren't serious enough to be ...uh, taken that seriously.

Movies don't need to be serious to be great, most of my favorite movies tend to be comedies.
  • Like 4

True.  CBM are more frontloaded but again I'm not ruling it out.  The summer has been meh and GotG seems to have tapped into some pent up demand.  Obviously a 50% drop is a very optimistic scenario 

• Like 2

GOTG 32.7-33.5,Lucy 6.9,GOU 5.5,Herc 4.4,Apes 3.6,pla2 2.4,PA 2.3,AMWM 1.6,ST 1.5,ASIG 1.4,BH 1.1,AOE 940k

Jesus!!!

You can't compete with kids, just..can't. They're such a powerful force when it comes to B.O. And it's going to have a long leggy run too because only movies geared toward men come with such a short ugly leg.

• Like 1