Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Gitesh Pandya ‏@giteshpandya  · 3m #GuardiansOfTheGalaxy off roughly 13% SAT to about $33M. Wknd may reach about $97M. Official studio #s to come.

Awesome. 100M isn't completely dead yet regardless 2nd biggest OW of the year is pretty much locked now.  :D

I'm hoping for an Avengers type Sunday drop that nobody sees coming due to incredible word of mouth and it's underestimated by about 4 million.

I'am hoping for Batman trilogy Sunday drops  :ph34r:

• Like 2

I'm hoping for an Avengers type Sunday drop that nobody sees coming due to incredible word of mouth and it's underestimated by about 4 million.

37.8M

33M

26.2M

97.2M OW

If it gets TDKR type Sunday drop

37.8M

33M

29.2M

100M OW, this scenario is very unlikely but it would complete this shocking performance.

Well, I'm not afraid to dream big!

Primary reasons TA, TDK and TDKR had minuscule drops were spillover effect & WOM. GOTG certainly has the WOM down but it doesn't or won't have the former to help so if it only drops 13% required for 100M OW than we can pretty much lock 300M+ down. 

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  · 2m BOYHOOD took in an estimated $2.52M this weekend from 311 locations. Domestic total now stands at $7.57M. #Boyh

Wow, impressive hold for Boyhood. 30M+ is very likely now. 

I disagree. Disney doesn't win years because they release less movies per year than other studios.

Yeah, Disney is the most profitable studio because 1.They release less movies but all their tentpoles hit (with the exception of the stray Lone Ranger or John Carter), especially post Avengers/Frozen Disney.2.They sell much more merchandise than any studio.There's a difference between winning a year because you release 20 movies hoping some hit and make a profit to cover the others and releasing five sure-fire hit blockbusters that all are massive and then easy to merchandise.Just because your movies grossed more because of sheer quantity doesn't mean they were the most profitable.Pixar releases less movies a year than Dreamworks and is undoubtedly the bigger animation studio even though Dreamworks' combined movie gross may be higher on a 3 movie year. Edited by The Panda

I just want this to legitimately earn $100 million so it can pass the obviously-fudged number for Transformers 4 and get the highest opening weekend of the year.

It won't.  

Yes, there is a holiday tomorrow in much of Canada but it doesn't really seem to help the numbers...probably because it's summer and a lot of people have weekdays off anyway.  Here are the dailys from the last two years...you'll see that nothing really jumps out at you.

2013: http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?track=despicableme2.htm&sortdate=2013-08-05&p=.htm

2012:  http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-08-05&p=.htm

Transformers true OW is around 97.5m lets hope it just beats that. Yes I know I'am greedy

Transformers true opening weekend is 100.038 million.  

• Like 6

no-one honestly believes that

Doesn't matter what anyone believes.  That's the number that is reported and that's the number that is going to be out there for the rest of eternity. 

• Like 2