Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

People really need to make up their minds, are DC doing the opposite of the Marvel approach or being Marvel copycats. They can't be both at the same time.

I think DC is trying to a little of both. They sound like they do not have a 100% plan yet. BvS sounds like a quick attempt to be an Avengers copy cat. 

No this is not true. Disney goes over budget with Lone Ranger, John Carter.  Disney is the best studio to ask for money. They will give it to you if they think they can sell toys off your idea. Wachowski should go to Disney from now on to get there blockbusters made. Who does not want half wolf tatum action figure. Disney would totally be on board with that.

I'm talking about Disney's TV strategy. They have a set number that they know will be profitable for them. As long as they bring in their shows at or under that number, they turn a profit. It doesn't even matter how the shows do (as long as they don't completely tank, which they never do since there's a built-in audience for them). This is exactly how Marvel/Disney is approaching their movie business.
  • Like 1

I think Marvel is flop proof just as long as the movie is favored by critics.It's clear that no concept is too weird for the fanbase.Which is one of the best things about GotG's success, it makes a solid case for adapting just about anything in Marvel U.Even a Squirrel Girl/Howard the Duck team up movie could open with 50 m with MCU's loyal fanbase.

• Like 2

Who would of thought at the start of the year that:A live action Hercules would be fresh! (Ironically even with The Rock and directed by Bret Ratner!) (Which on another note I've been reading only bad things about Lucy and that Hercules is supposedly quite fun)

And that Galaxy would be the most fresh Marvel film of the year? (Or at least I think it is-or at the very least that much liked!)

I highly doubt that. It is a original audience and a tiny fan base.

I see your counter jinxing strategy still hard at work per usual. Classic Dex.

Are people seriously complaining that Guardians is falling short of $100m? This is a fuckin joke, right?

The General Audience, myself included, had no idea what the fuck GotG were until Marvel started marketing it. 

The sheer fact that it's Opening Weekend is already over 40% Higher than more well known Superheros in Marvels arsenal (ie, Hulk, Captain America, and Thor) is just fuckin amazing!

Plus, this is just the first installment for the franchise! It's already bigger than CA2 and Thor2. 

If this doesn't hit $100m, it's not going to bother me. I actually see it performing a lot like Iron Man now. 

First installment falls short of $100m, and the 2nd will break out even higher. Can't wait for 2017 for Guardians 2. :)

• Like 1