Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

I guess it depends whether you think the space setting is enough to count it as sci-fi. I haven't seen the film yet, but someone else said it didn't present any speculative,futuristic technology, which is often a key aspect of the genre.

(I assume this has all been said a million times in the previous debate, which I missed.)

• Like 1

I keep posting this. Here is why it's science fiction:The shuttle mission in GRAVITY is STS-157. The shuttle program is no longer active, and the last mission was STS-135. Tiangong, the Chinese space station, is shown as a fully active, functional, and complete station. As of right now, it's in the early stages of being built, with an estimated completion date in the early 2020s. Therefore, GRAVITY either posits a reality in which the Chinese completed their station much sooner *and* NASA kept the shuttle program active (in which case it's an alternate reality set in the present), or the movie takes place in the near future (a future where NASA also kept the shuttle program active). A story set in an alternate near-future? It's science fiction.

• Like 6

I keep posting this. Here is why it's science fiction:The shuttle mission in GRAVITY is STS-157. The shuttle program is no longer active, and the last mission was STS-135. Tiangong, the Chinese space station, is shown as a fully active, functional, and complete station. As of right now, it's in the early stages of being built, with an estimated completion date in the early 2020s. Therefore, GRAVITY either posits a reality in which the Chinese completed their station much sooner *and* NASA kept the shuttle program active (in which case it's an alternate reality set in the present), or the movie takes place in the near future (a future where NASA also kept the shuttle program active). A story set in an alternate near-future? It's science fiction.

Yeah but then somebody could say that anytime a movie has a fictional US president that it's an alternate reality and therefore sci-fi? Where do you draw the line?

How about Soldiers of the Sun?

Story: Set in a post-apocalyptic future and focuses on a squad of soldiers that searches for a fabled city of gold while on a tour of duty in Mexico liberating it from an alien race known as Orcs.

How about Soldiers of the Sun?

Story: Set in a post-apocalyptic future and focuses on a squad of soldiers that searches for a fabled city of gold while on a tour of duty in Mexico liberating it from an alien race known as Orcs.

;)