Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

Hanks was big, but believe me, it was far from a sure-fire hit before it was released. There was a general expectation that it might appeal to space and NASA fans and people with historical interest in the period but would be a reach for the GA.

It wasnt...but Hanks coming off Gump and two Oscar wins...sorry Sandra, your star power ain't got shot on Hanks in 1995.Don't you dare throw That Thing You Do! In my face now...

Beside Hanks' star power, APOLLO 13 was based on a real "famous" event, and it was a well-crafted movie with many other well-known actors.

But I do believe Gravity will do well at the boxoffice tho. The teaser trailer certainly was a very effecient one. I don't know how the further trailers will turn out to be, but for some reason it looks a little bit like what they did on Life of Pi, that the trailers give your all the visuals but very little about the actual story. So if the audience buy the story, it will have a nice boxoffice run, cause I'm sure the following trailers are gonna show the shit out of the visuals.

Edited by vc2002

Sandra Bullock is over-rated at the box office. The Heat was all Melissa McCarthy and both of her movies will probably finish with identical domestic and WW gross. TBS and The Proposal would've done as well at the box office as they did with any other actress. She has less than half a dozen Box Office hit movies in over two decades which isn't an impressive track record.

This is NOT true. That godawful All About Steve had a surprisingly strong opening solely thanks to Sandra star power. Also, if you actually look at her resume, with the exception of Speed and Miss Congeniality, nothing screamed BO blockbuster pre-Proposal. It wasn't surprising that she was overshadowed by the other America's Sweetheart Brunette throughout the 90's. Julia was just getting the better projects at the time! Also, SB has been in very few movies in 00's before The Proposal. The fact that she is enjoying a late career renaissance despite a not too impressive prime is all thanks to her charisma and likeability factor. And good for her to help bust the stereotype that actresses are most appealing in the prime of their youth. SB's BO appeal has actually increased with her age and experience, which is supercool.

Gravity will be a real test for her BO appeal though. She has shown she can deliver smashes in the romantic comedy, drama and action/ action comedy genres, but what about sci-fi? Especially a slow sci-fi thriller like this one?

• Like 5

Yeah, I think it inaccurate to claim Bullock isn't a draw. The Proposal and Blind Side made a lot of money...and she's a big part of that, replace her and no, I don't think you get the same grosses.You might be able to argue The Heat though...McCarthy drove that one, but Bullock certainly helped.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think it inaccurate to claim Bullock isn't a draw. The Proposal and Blind Side made a lot of money...and she's a big part of that, replace her and no, I don't think you get the same grosses.You might be able to argue The Heat though...McCarthy drove that one, but Bullock certainly helped.

Oh yes, Bullock definitely contributed. Which is main reason The Heat easily outgrossed Identity Thief. That's not a knock on McCarthy's BO appeal of course, just that it is weird to place all the praise solely on her shoulders and completely exclude Sandra.

Edited by Spidey Freak

Sandra Bullock is over-rated at the box office. The Heat was all Melissa McCarthy and both of her movies will probably finish with identical domestic and WW gross. TBS and The Proposal would've done as well at the box office as they did with any other actress.

You are so off the mark it's not even funny.

This is NOT true. That godawful All About Steve had a surprisingly strong opening solely thanks to Sandra star power. Also, if you actually look at her resume, with the exception of Speed and Miss Congeniality, nothing screamed BO blockbuster pre-Proposal. It wasn't surprising that she was overshadowed by the other America's Sweetheart Brunette throughout the 90's. Julia was just getting the better projects at the time! Also, SB has been in very few movies in 00's before The Proposal. The fact that she is enjoying a late career renaissance despite a not too impressive prime is all thanks to her charisma and likeability factor. And good for her to help bust the stereotype that actresses are most appealing in the prime of their youth. SB's BO appeal has actually increased with her age and experience, which is supercool. Gravity will be a real test for her BO appeal though. She has shown she can deliver smashes in the romantic comedy, drama and action/ action comedy genres, but what about sci-fi? Especially a slow sci-fi thriller like this one?

Bravo!!!
  • Like 1

This feels like it's going to be another big flop. I have very little interest in this, and I have had a bad feeling about this film for a long time now, even before the trailer debuted. The trailer did not impress me at all.

You should have start your post by "I", too!

;)

• Like 1

Gravity is not a real test of Bullock's BO appeal because she is a bone fide star. She's past tests. Tests are for still fairly new leading ladies such as Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence,etc.

No star always hits but they hit more than others. And Bullock hits more than other female stars.

• Like 2

I meant test as in Gravity will show how willing GA would be to support Sandra in a genre where she hasn't had a BO success yet, now that she is experiencing an epic renaissance. Similar to Tatum proving he is a solid romance/comedy/stripper drama draw, but when it comes to action, GA and his fanbase do not really care.

Sandra Bullock is over-rated at the box office. The Heat was all Melissa McCarthy and both of her movies will probably finish with identical domestic and WW gross. TBS and The Proposal would've done as well at the box office as they did with any other actress. She has less than half a dozen Box Office hit movies in over two decades which isn't an impressive track record.

That's not true. "The Proposal" is one of the true real romantic comedy hits over the past 6-7 years. Its budget was very low, and it grossed over $300 million worldwide. Ryan Reynolds is not much of a draw. *Many* romantic comedies have tried over the last decade and failed. 

"The Blind Side" was entirely Bullock, especially with the Oscar buzz that she generated. Its budget was $29 million, and it grossed over $250 million at the USA box office for total global box office of $300+ million. No other actress has ever headlined a film to $200 million and then $250 million gross in the USA. Ever. 

Edited by lyndenfl

Male draws are rare, female draws are even more rare.

It is amazing to think a superstar like Nicole Kidman didn't have a bo hit since forever ( Cold Mountain was 10 years ago) and she still gets high profile parts and reknown filmmakers to work with.

Same for Kate Winslet.

Keira Kightley is aware she isn't a draw at all and she will go back into franchise land this Christmas with Jack Ryan.

She knows she s a few months away from flipping burgers.

And Sandra Bullock won all these awards that year without much passion from critics.

She just charmed her peers and colleagues with her awesome self depreciating personality.

She showed up at the razzies for Christ sake a few days before the oscars with a bag full of dvds of the movie she won for.

Male draws are rare, female draws are even more rare.

It is amazing to think a superstar like Nicole Kidman didn't have a bo hit since forever ( Cold Mountain was 10 years ago) and she still gets high profile parts and reknown filmmakers to work with.

Same for Kate Winslet.

They are the exact vanity that Hollywood loves.