Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

Id say for childrens animation, musical, and horror - 90m

comedies, dramas, sci-fi, thriller, adventure - hour 45

adaptions (book, comic, life event, etc.) - 2 hours

or more complex the narrative, the longer. A movie like TDK needs to be long, its an adaption and it has a complex story, but 2 1/2 hours is little of a stretch. Same with Avatar, IM3, TA etc. I havent seen Prisoners, Les Mis, etc so I cant say if it justifies or not for those. Of course this isn't exact, such an ideal length for me. Judd Apatow needs to take note.

I feel like comic books can be 90 minutes and dramas depend on the subject matter same with thrillers. I do agree adventures should be around 1 hour and 45 minutes.  I think most action movies should be around 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours.

Been listening to the soundtrack for the past few hours and it's beautiful stuff, especially the final three tracks. Until minutes ago I had no idea who this Steven Price guy was, but apparently he contributed to the Attack the Block soundtrack (which is awesome, like everything else about that movie) and also wrote music for The World's End, which I haven't seen yet. Hey, Academy, how about throwing a nomination this man's way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLNXBVeuJ-g

• Like 1

Been listening to the soundtrack for the past few hours and it's beautiful stuff, especially the final three tracks. Until minutes ago I had no idea who this Steven Price guy was, but apparently he contributed to the Attack the Block soundtrack (which is awesome, like everything else about that movie) and also wrote music for The World's End, which I haven't seen yet. Hey, Academy, how about throwing a nomination this man's way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLNXBVeuJ-g

I bought the soundtrack as soon as it went on sale. It's fabulous.

I think he's got a great chance. The music (and its design) is so front and center it's a real stand-out.

Id say for childrens animation, musical, and horror - 90m

comedies, dramas, sci-fi, thriller, adventure - hour 45

adaptions (book, comic, life event, etc.) - 2 hours

or more complex the narrative, the longer. A movie like TDK needs to be long, its an adaption and it has a complex story, but 2 1/2 hours is little of a stretch. Same with Avatar, IM3, TA etc. I havent seen Prisoners, Les Mis, etc so I cant say if it justifies or not for those. Of course this isn't exact, such an ideal length for me. Judd Apatow needs to take note.

pretty much

But some movies deserve 150 mins above.

I feel like comic books can be 90 minutes and dramas depend on the subject matter same with thrillers. I do agree adventures should be around 1 hour and 45 minutes.  I think most action movies should be around 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours.

This is incredibly reductive. You can't just say every comic-book movie should be 90 minutes and every action movie should be 2 hours or under without ignoring the greater nuances that go into screenwriting and filmmaking. 

I've watched TDK and TDKR enough times to know that everything in the each of them was essential to the story being told. The latter actually could've been longer to iron out a plot hole. 

• Like 1

This is incredibly reductive. You can't just say every comic-book movie should be 90 minutes and every action movie should be 2 hours or under without ignoring the greater nuances that go into screenwriting and filmmaking. 

I've watched TDK and TDKR enough times to know that everything in the each of them was essential to the story being told. The latter actually could've been longer to iron out a plot hole. 

How many 90 minute comic book movies are there even? Exactly ;)

Now of course it does depend on the movie, now on another similar note-on the TV show The Twilight Zone's 4th season they decided to go from 30 minutes to 1 hour. Which hurt it as they had 30 minute long plots in an hour.

Some movies like Juno felt like forever. Where as I actually thought some movies like this year with The Lone Ranger and Oblivion were actually shorter then they were.

(Of course 30 minutes worth of trailers really makes tons of movies feel long)