Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

The key argument that people like Tarkovsky make is that editing can be destructive when it comes to discovering the "reality" and "truth" of a scene. The very act of cutting jars you away from a moment to cheat into another moment, instead of allowing you to go on that journey yourself. It's a concept that's specifically counter to the "montage" style popularized by Eisenstein (which has largely taken over cinema today).

• Like 4

The key argument that people like Tarkovsky make is that editing can be destructive when it comes to discovering the "reality" and "truth" of a scene. The very act of cutting jars you away from a moment to cheat into another moment, instead of allowing you to go on that journey yourself. It's a concept that's specifically counter to the "montage" style popularized by Eisenstein (which has largely taken over cinema today).

You re loosing the Marvel/DC guys Tele.

• Like 3

The academy will most likely reward the visuals of this at the Oscars. I had doubts cause I thought the space scenes were just a small part, but if the whole movie is about the god damn space rescue mission, you can just easily tell how much the visuals weight for the whole movie. And if it turns to be a good film, they are gonna have to reward it.

I hope they do because it's about time SFX goes to something that isn't mo'cap or creature/space ship effect. last year's winner was a CGI/mo'cap/whatever tiger so Gravity visuals seem totlaly different from what's offered this year and years before/after.

Brian De Palma deserves to be in the conversation too. He's made a habit of long, complicated, uninterrupted takes and frequently they're really fun. SNAKE EYES has a 20-minutes opening shot, for example, and the camera goes all over the place: on cranes, on Steadi-Cam.... everywhere.

• Like 3

Obviously animated or mo-cap films are easier to pull off, but you can also push the limits in really fun ways -- like Spielberg in TINTIN with that lengthy "escape from town" single-take sequence.

Haven't seen the movie, but I have seen that scene and it was awesome. Looked like something out of an Indiana Jones movie.