filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

The "Blockbuster Quality" Debate.  Happens every summer.  But remember when making a "Blockbuster" the main goal is for it to appeal and sale thus the name "Blockbuster", that name means successful money wise so there will always be a fine line with quality/art and commerce when it comes to Blockbusters. 

block·bust·er
ˈbläkˌbəstər/
noun
informal

[*]
    a thing of great power or size, in particular a movie, book, or other product that is a great commercial success.

• Like 1

I can't believe how well GOTG is doing,.  Why must movies like this do so well?  I mean why should movies improve when you can slap Marvel on anything and it makes 94 million OW?

At least Disney has been good about upholding certain standards when it comes to their Marvel movies for the most part. No most of them aren't masterpieces, but it's also clear that pretty much all of them had effort put into them even when they failed in certain aspects. I don't care if you didn't like GOTG, you still can't say there wasn't an effort made to give it an actual plot, real characterization, humor, and an overall high end production value.  You can say you didn't like those aspects or they didn't register with you, but you can't deny they at least tried to make it a worthwhile film. Disney could slap the Marvel name on anything and put no effort at all into it, but the fact is they don't do that. I appreciate the effort even when I don't think it works out (like in IM2 or CA1 for example which I dislike). TMNT is literally just slapping a franchise name on dumbed down action and selling it to kids. There was no effort made with anything, even the crappy CGI. A mindless action flick is one thing, a cash grab with no effort is another.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

Part of it is me not being that interested in most of the franchises anymore, and part is because, why should I? I may, from time to time, be happy for individual films, but the collective gross doesn't matter to me at all.:lol: To be honest, this is true most of the time (pre- and post-CC). That's not particularly true anymore, since indies and art houses are generally made and financed completely outside the studios. There are some modest-budgeted movies that get made for the Oscar season, but generally speaking the studios would rather not make those at all.

Don't these art house movies get wide distribution using the major studio distribution system?
  • Like 1

Don't these art house movies get wide distribution using the major studio distribution system?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But even when they are, it's basically a rounding error on what they spend on the tent poles. So no, a scrap or two doesn't make it a healthy system, and neither does the fear over creating original movies.
  • Like 5

I've been saying it for months I have been a part of the 140 club and over 50 club since pretty much their beginnings check it out

Trailer views are not 100% accurate but this got a ton of views and hype early on. 

Why is it shit?  Have you seen it?

I don't have to see a movie that literally spells out in the marketing that it's a cash grab film with no effort made. But for the record I did see it with my little nephews this morning, and shock of shocks it was a cash grab with no effort made.

• Like 3

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But even when they are, it's basically a rounding error on what they spend on the tent poles. So no, a scrap or two doesn't make it a healthy system, and neither does the fear over creating original movies.

It's not the 70's anymore. Hollywood is very corporate now which means franchises are king.There's no going back.Why aren't you satisfied with Oscar season.
  • Like 1

I should be content with 1-2 months that have some movies aimed at me?

Oscar type movies come out over the course of the year. The fact is the Academy chooses to ignore nearly anything released before June, primarily because they have short term memories (and considering their average age possibly Alzheimer's as well) and there's no rule requiring them to re-watch an older movie from the year.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2