filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

The weekend threads in September are gonna be the most unexciting things in the history of the world.

We may have to unban derailments for those  :ph34r: Jk, won't happen. 

Behold.

The Finnish pizza.

Posted Image

Dude, post that shit in the Conversation thread. Do not kill this thread. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

For me it ran into the same issue I had with the first Purge movie. The setup and everything that led to the train was way more interesting than what they showed on the train.

I know people will disagree, but expectations matter.

I go into Snowpiercer thinking it's meant to be a new sci-fi classic and what I got was a half-realized vision that in the end just falls into the B-range sci-fi flicks like Pandorum and Lockout. So, in turn, I give it a B.

I watch Death Race and all I'm really expecting is a B-grade Statham action flick and it delivers, and really delivers for me. Humour, racing, kills whatever. Yeah, it's not intelligent or anything or doesn't try to be, but I'm not going to give a movie that tries at something and fails miserably more than a movie that succeeds in what it wants to do and which I enjoy immensely.

This is not to say we should simply reward films that intentionally set a lower bar, but what film really does that? The people making them 99% of the time want to be proud of whatever they are making. Do we give points to the people who made Delgo just because he slaved to make a lousy movie? Or the Dorothy of Oz movie?

Perhaps someone else can word it better, but what I'm saying really boils down to "just because you have a good concept doesn't mean you get extra points when you can't deliver the final product".

• Like 1