kayumanggi

Weekend numbers thread:TMNT: 28.4 GOTG: 24.7 LBC. 17.7 Ex3: 16.2

I think most people have been expecting Expendables 3 to flop for the past few months, long before the leak.

So no, not revisionist history.

Too bad you can't even smell your own bullshit.

58%? Now who's wishful thinking? If TMNT is making 28m this weekend then GOTG will make around 27m and have like a 35% drop since they both share the same audiences.

Considering that most kids are going to be in school again next week, they both may kind of get a bit of a boost over more adult-aimed fare...

I think most people have been expecting Expendables 3 to flop for the past few months, long before the leak.

So no, not revisionist history.

Yeah, there were literally zero reasons for it to do well (especially when franchise fatigue had already hit by the 2nd movie). The leak just was one more straw on the camel's back. I never saw many predictions over 25m OW.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

I still think the PG-13 rating is what really did it. Remember the fan outcry when EX2 was in talks as a possible PG-13 for awhile? I do.

I don't think the rating mattered at all. The leak hurt, but it would have flopped without the leak too. The franchise lost it's specialness and a fresh concept turned into a overdone one(three of these movies in five years?). This movie didn't bring anything new to the table and even the action guys in it been over exposed. When the first two movies came out there wasn't a lot of Sly or Arnold movies in recent years. Or did people see guys like Dolph, Van Damme or Chuck Norris on the big screen for a long time. You include Sly,Arnold and Bruce In scenes together and it was exciting. While since Expendables 2, Sly has done three movies, Arnold 3 movies, Statham 2 movies and new additions like Ford did three movies last year. While Mel Gibson was just a villain in a movie 10 months ago. So mix all that together, with same old plot and formula with the big names having extended cameos. Along with the leak and tougher competition for this movie then Expendables 1 and 2 had. Well it's not a surprise to see it doing so poorly.

Edited by gb0708
  • Like 2

Considering that most kids are going to be in school again next week, they both may kind of get a bit of a boost over more adult-aimed fare...

Well if that's the case than GOTG won't be far behind and could lose the weekend by like a half mil. Either way, my prediction earlier was hardly just wishful thinking. GOTG had a definite chance to win the weekend going in.

That's too bad.  I was lamenting the lack of female action stars.  

Then again, from what I've been hearing it seems like most of the cast members only get what amounts to a cameo anyway.  That's kind of the problem when you try to cram so many names in.

I'm a huge fan of some of those guys. If you made a movie that just starred Arnold, Sly, Snipes, and Mel, I'd go see it in a heartbeat. But you keep adding in all these Jason Stathams and Terry Crews and Kellan Lutzs and 100 other guys I don't care about, and the movie starts looking less and less appealing with each passing name. Until I get to the point where I barely care about it anymore.

I might go see it on Tuesday, we'll see.

• Like 1

Except for Boyhood and Chef all the smaller movies are struggling out there... 

Is Boyhood struggling that much?  It just opened on more screens in my area.

And some of the smaller films are getting a bit of a boost.  The 100 Foot Journey is holding well.

Well if that's the case than GOTG won't be far behind and could lose the weekend by like a half mil. Either way, my prediction earlier was hardly just wishful thinking. GOTG had a definite chance to win the weekend going in.

It had a 0% chance of winning the weekend. 

Is Boyhood struggling that much?  It just opened on more screens in my area.

And some of the smaller films are getting a bit of a boost.  The 100 Foot Journey is holding well.

No I said except for Boyhood. 

100 Foot has a smallish budget but it's a predictable, crowd-pleasing studio movie with Spielberg & Oprah behind it. 

:rolleyes:

Stop being so agitated just because a movie you didn't even like flopped.

It didn't have a chance.  It finished 20 million behind Turtles last weekend.  Turtles was well liked by its target audience.  When you use logic and not blind hate you realize GOTG had 0% chance of winning the weekend.  

• Like 4

I'm a huge fan of some of those guys. If you made a movie that just starred Arnold, Sly, Snipes, and Mel, I'd go see it in a heartbeat. But you keep adding in all these Jason Stathams and Terry Crews and Kellan Lutzs and 100 other guys I don't care about, and the movie starts looking less and less appealing with each passing name. Until I get to the point where I barely care about it anymore.

I might go see it on Tuesday, we'll see.

You and me both!  That sounds like an amazing movie.  Unfortunately the added - newer - action stars don't necessarily interest the same crowd as the stars in the first movie.

Dude, you need to step away from the boards. Seriously.

You're a sad individual Kitik.  You used to be a good poster.  Now you just spout off lies to make your point.

No I said except for Boyhood. 

100 Foot has a smallish budget but it's a predictable, crowd-pleasing studio movie with Spielberg & Oprah behind it. 

Aaah.  Okay I misread you there.  My bad.

Yeah.  100 Foot also has Helen Mirren which is going to be enough to get me to see it in the theaters once everything else is played out.  It should do fine.

Dude, you need to step away from the boards. Seriously.

And that's never going to happen, so you might as well get used to me being here.  If you hate me so much, then drop out of the game.