Punishment

Weekend Actuals 8/15-8/17 TMNT 28.5m, GOG 25.1m, LBC 17.8m, Exp3 15.9m, TG 12.3m

What is TAR?

The Admiral: Roaring currents, Korean Film

Mojo doesn't have the # but it was reported and ranks #21  562,332 33 theaters

if you take the top 50 Mojo is missing 4 titles

Edited by Rth
  • Like 2

Top thr engagement wkend 15-17/81-CPLX Scotiabank Chinook, Calgary AB (GOTG nearly double TMNT)2-AMC Metreon 16, San Francisco CA (GOTG, nearly 4 times TMNT)3-AMC Empire 25, New York City NY (GOTG, slightly higher than TMNT at E-walk)4-CGV Cinemas LA, Los Angeles CA (TAR)5-Regal Union Square 14, New York City NY (GOTG)6-AMC Empire 25, New York City NY (EX3)7-AMC Lincoln Square 13, New York City NY (GOTG)8-AMC Burbank 30, Burbank CA (GOTG)9-Har Gateway Pavilions 18, Avondale AZ (TMNT)10-CPLX Scotiabank Toronto, Toronto ON (GOTG)11-CPLX Scotiabank Vancouver 9, Vancouver BC (GOTG)12-Regal E-walk 13, New York City NY (TMNT)--13-AMC Burbank 30, Burbank CA (LBC)14-AMC Tyson Corner 16, Mclean VA (GOTG)15-AMC Gulf Pointe 30, Houston TX (TMNT)16-AMC Empire 25, New York City NY (LBC)17-CM Tinseltown 20, El Paso TX (TMNT)18-CM Warren 14, Moore OK (GOTG)19-Regal Irvine Spectrum 21, Irvine CA (GOTG)20-AMC regency 20, Brandon FL (TMNT)21-AMC Century City 15, Century City CA (GOTG)22-Regal Mira Mesa Stadium 17, San Diego CA (GOTG)

SF loves them Guardians :wub;RTH, did it double the rest of the other movies showing again?
  • Like 2

SF loves them Guardians :wub;RTH, did it double the rest of the other movies showing again?

last Wkend at Metreon it took more than all other films playing combined, it didn't manage that level this week but it was still almost 4 times # 2 film turtles
  • Like 4

last Wkend at Metreon it took more than all other films playing combined, it didn't manage that level this week but it was still almost 4 times # 2 film turtles

Thanks again RTH! Still pretty impressive. If possible, I'd like to know the top 5 movies did comparatively in SF. Just curious. Edited by WileECoyote
  • Like 1

Thanks again RTH! Still pretty impressive.If possible, I'd like to know the top 5 movies did comparatively in SF. Just curious.

wkend in bay area

1-GOTG,2-TMNT,LBC,EX3,TG

summer in the Bay

Malef,DOFP,GOTG(will easily be #1),Apes,Godz

Edited by Rth
  • Like 2

At least Disney gave Cap a full five months, what I feel should be the minimum for blockbuster-level films, to make its money. They chopped Frozen off in under four months, and definitely lost at least $5-10 million off of that one.

Though to answer your question, unfortunately I don't think Cap will make it to $260 million. It only made $38,058 this past weekend, and even with nearly a month to go it's pretty unlikely it will reach that... unless it gets a Labor Day theater boost from Disney. Which, I doubt they would want it to cut into Guardians in any way, so they'll probably give their usual Labor Day theater count explosion to Maleficent, in place of the usual Pixar release that gets it.

Depends on time of year of release. January releases are normally out by April. July releases get dragged to December. September might be rushed out for December. So on, so forth. There's also a bunch of releases that try to make it before Black Friday.

LOL the effects of piracy are being overstated. If people really want to see a movie they will wait to see it in theaters (which is the case for both of those movies). I'd be surprised if The Expendables 3 lost more 10% of its opening gross because of the leak.

Expendables is the perfect pirated movie. Mindless action, no acting quality to speak of, dubious quality of movies themselves, a bro movie...yeah. It's not a tentpole in the slightest for the majority and even within its demographic. It's really a perfect example of a B movie and B movies are the ones probably more pirated than seen in the cinema because of what they inherently are. 

Of course then you do get popular films being pirated too but I think they have a lower % of first time viewers. 

The Admiral: Roaring currents, Korean Film

Mojo doesn't have the # but it was reported and ranks #21  562,332 33 theaters

if you take the top 50 Mojo is missing 4 titles

I assume this happens often? BOM non reporting movies. Really makes you question why we follow BO with such inaccuracies.

I wish data you have was public. It'd really be awesome to see rankings of admissions for all films, for countries, states, areas. 

I'm already goofily happy that Dragon 2 beat Maleficent in Canada. 

I'm not surprised "Days of Future Past" is so big in Canada. I'm guessing Wolverine has to be like Batman to Canada or something, right?I've actually always wanted to see yearly box office rankings for different states. What does well in the Bible Belt? In New England? Californians can be as culturally different from Alabamans as France and England. It'd be fun to see.

the little mermaid? lol 

what about dragon 2, rth? in your opinion, did it disappoint throughout the USA or was it certain states?

Compared to 1st Can performed better than USA, even though in domestic its been somewhat disappointing it performed at the same market share levels as 1st, so what % say 2nd did in LA same as 1st

• Like 1

Top 5 markets summerLA Malef, DOFP, AOE, Apes, GOTG(will end up #3)NYC DOFP,Apes,TASM,AOE,GOTG(will end up #3)SFO Malef,DOFP,GOTG(will easily be #1),Apes,GodzCHI AOE,DOFP,Apes,Godz, GOTG(will end up #1/2)DAL AOE,Malef,DOFP,Apes,GOTG(will endup #1/2)

• Like 12