Punishment

Weekend Actuals 8/15-8/17 TMNT 28.5m, GOG 25.1m, LBC 17.8m, Exp3 15.9m, TG 12.3m

Expendables 3 is a catastrophe.

Poor Sly, having a pristine copy of a movie 3 weeks before its release was a first.

Imagine if the same shit happened to Avengers 2 or Mockingjay 1 ...

Edited by The Futurist

Interesting how GOTG is still doing the most business in Canada. How often does this happen, where the top film in the Canada is different from the top film in the U.S.?

it happens atm cant recall how often, there are often different ranking 3+

• Like 2

TWS is $253,042 away from $260million. It's set for early release tomorrow. DVD is Sept 9. 

How likely is it that it can hit that number? Ugh, I love its performance, but hate that it might stall out just short. 

At least Disney gave Cap a full five months, what I feel should be the minimum for blockbuster-level films, to make its money. They chopped Frozen off in under four months, and definitely lost at least $5-10 million off of that one.

Though to answer your question, unfortunately I don't think Cap will make it to $260 million. It only made $38,058 this past weekend, and even with nearly a month to go it's pretty unlikely it will reach that... unless it gets a Labor Day theater boost from Disney. Which, I doubt they would want it to cut into Guardians in any way, so they'll probably give their usual Labor Day theater count explosion to Maleficent, in place of the usual Pixar release that gets it.

• Like 1

Expendables 3 is a catastrophe.

Poor Sly, having a pristine copy of a movie 3 weeks before its release was a first.

Imagine if the same shit happened to Avengers 2 or Mockinjay 1 ...

LOL the effects of piracy are being overstated. If people really want to see a movie they will wait to see it in theaters (which is the case for both of those movies). I'd be surprised if The Expendables 3 lost more 10% of its opening gross because of the leak.

• Like 2

LOL the effects of piracy are being overstated. If people really want to see a movie they will wait to see it in theaters (which is the case for both of those movies). I'd be surprised if The Expendables 3 lost more 10% of its opening gross because of the leak.

Also, Ex3 is a movie people are much less willing to see in theaters when it's available to pirate.

I disagree, people download movies now like it is nothing.

They want something, they click, they get it.

Simple.

I disagree, people download movies now like it is nothing.

They want something, they click, they get it.

Simple.

But who's gonna watch Avengers: Age of Ultron or Mockingjay Part 1 online two weeks before they comes out even if it's DVD quality when you lose out on the theatrical experience (besides those who do nothing all day but sit in front of a computer, a small demographic). If people want to see a movie really badly, they'll fork over the $12 to see it on the big screen, come on now. I bet most of the people who pirated The Expendables 3 were either on the fence about it or weren't planning on seeing it in theaters in the first place.

But who's gonna watch Avengers: Age of Ultron or Mockingjay Part 1 online two weeks before they comes out even if it's DVD quality when you lose out on the theatrical experience (besides those who do nothing all day but sit in front of a computer, a small demographic). If people want to see a movie really badly, they'll fork over the $12 to see it on the big screen, come on now. I bet most of the people who pirated The Expendables 3 were either on the fence about it or weren't planning on seeing it in theaters in the first place.

Maybe.

Watching CA2 for the first time. Holy shit, this film is like a giant middle finger to the NSA and the military industrial complex. Amazing.The first film is a C+ film. This is a flat out A. Scarlett is so beautiful...But fucking DAMN, Chris Evans is STUNNING. That ass in the training suit...mmm...want it on my face.And good numbers.

• Like 7

Expendables 3 is a catastrophe.Poor Sly, having a pristine copy of a movie 3 weeks before its release was a first.Imagine if the same shit happened to Avengers 2 or Mockingjay 1 ...

Wasn't Avatar the most pirated movie ever when it came out? Or was it just that years most pirated. That's not to say it doesn't have an impact, it definitely does. But, if someone REALLY wants to see it in the theaters they will. I also think there are those people that just pirate everything they see and never plan to pay for anything. It's a really difficult thing to quantify.

Wasn't Avatar the most pirated movie ever when it came out? Or was it just that years most pirated.That's not to say it doesn't have an impact, it definitely does. But, if someone REALLY wants to see it in the theaters they will.I also think there are those people that just pirate everything they see and never plan to pay for anything.It's a really difficult thing to quantify.

People usually still want to see event type movies like Avatar in the cinema... even if there are pirated copies. And in the case of Avatar that was doubly true since nobody had 3D at home :)

As for movies that get hit by piracy the most... i guess it is stuff that is not really good and thus has to rely on a large marketing campaign in order to get a huge OW. If people can see such a movie beforehand and word gets out that it is just not clicking then it gets destroyed at the BO. And i am pretty sure that E3 fits that bill pretty nicely...

Still i doubt that E3 would have been a smash hit even without the leak :)

Edited by chuck0

Watching CA2 for the first time. Holy shit, this film is like a giant middle finger to the NSA and the military industrial complex. Amazing.The first film is a C+ film. This is a flat out A. Scarlett is so beautiful...But fucking DAMN, Chris Evans is STUNNING. That ass in the training suit...mmm...want it on my face.And good numbers.

Glad you are liking it so much. It is such a good movie. :)
  • Like 2

Watching CA2 for the first time. Holy shit, this film is like a giant middle finger to the NSA and the military industrial complex. Amazing.

The first film is a C+ film. This is a flat out A. Scarlett is so beautiful...

But fucking DAMN, Chris Evans is STUNNING. That ass in the training suit...mmm...want it on my face.

And good numbers.

Posted Image

• Like 5