Deep Impact (1998)

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I like that this movie tried to look at the "humanity preparing for the end".

It had some powerful stuff in that regard... however, the idea of the spaceship destroying the big asteroid in the end came way too late, imho. It was something that  would have been discussed earlier or tried earlier. This made the melodramatic death scenes caused by the small asteroid look kind of unnecessary and even stupid.

It would have been a better movie if they had decided to go with the failure of the mission and the destruction of the biggest part of humanity, imho.

C

An absolutely terrific film. Much different than Armageddon and almost as good.

I saw this first because of Spielbergs name attached to it. Thought of Armageddon as just a copy. Loved it until i saw Armageddon and loved that one even more.

B+/A-

• Like 1

If I'm ever in the mood to watch a '98 disaster movie about an asteroid I know I'm not gonna watch this one. It's not that is bad or that boring but it's the definition of a mediocre forgettable blockbuster. It's competent enough that no one will ask for a refund, and at the same time so unmemorable that you will have a hard time remembering who was in it even a few days after you watched it. I have watched it (or parts of it) in TV many times since '98 and everytime I'm like "Tea Leoni was in this movie? Frodo too?" that's how forgettable it is.

C.