rukaio101

Box Office.com's Top 100 films of All Time (2014 edition)- List Complete! Everyone is Disappointed!

56. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) 22 points- 11 votes

"Is that crazy enough for ya'? Want me to take a shit on the floor?"

one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-alternati

McMurphy has a criminal past and has once again gotten himself into trouble with the law. To escape labor duties in prison, McMurphy pleads insanity and is sent to a ward for the mentally unstable. Once here, McMurphy both endures and stands witness to the abuse and degradation of the oppressive Nurse Ratched, who gains superiority and power through the flaws of the other inmates. McMurphy and the other inmates band together to make a rebellious stance against the atrocious Nurse.

Trivia: Many extras were authentic mental patients.

Ruk's Comments

"Both a startling critique of mental health treatment at the time and an utterly fantastic film. Jack Nicholson gives one of his many career defining perfomances here and the constant struggle between him and Nurse Ratchet is always great to watch. Speaking of Nurse Ratchet, Louis Fletcher's powerhouse portrayal is often overlooked despite, in my opinion, being one of the greatest film villains of all time. Cold, authoritarian and sadistic, she makes the perfect foil to Nicholson's anarchic free spirit."

Edited by Rukaio Alter
  • Like 15

55. Se7en (1995) 22 points- 12 votes

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part."

Se7en+(1995)+0.jpg

Taking place in a nameless city, Se7en follows the story of two homicide detectives tracking down a sadistic serial killer who chooses his victims according to the seven deadly sins. Brad Pitt stars as Detective David Mills, a hopeful but naive rookie who finds himself partnered with veteran Detective William Somerset (Morgan Freeman). Together they trace the killers every step, witnessing the aftermath of his horrific crimes one by one as the victims pile up in rapid succession, all the while moving closer to a gruesome fate neither of them could have predicted.

Trivia: All of John Doe's books were real books, written for the film. They took two months to complete and cost $15,000. According to Somerset, two months is also the time it would take the police to read all the books.

Ruk's Comments

"Anyone who's seen Gone Girl knows that David Fincher doesn't shy away from the shocking and Se7en is possibly his most triumphant example. Dark, unpredictable and with one of the all-time great cinematic endings." 

Edited by Rukaio Alter
  • Like 14

To save y'all the effort of posting whenever a comic book movie pops up, lemme just say, there isn't a single mainstream comic book movie that deserves to be on a list of the 100 greatest movies of all time. It's a fact, you can look it up.

Well, let's see. How mainstream is A History of Violence?

• Like 1

54. The Wizard of Oz (1939) 22 points- 12 votes

"Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!"

wizard-of-oz-imax3d-poster-660.jpg

In this charming film based on the popular L. Frank Baum stories, Dorothy and her dog Toto are caught in a tornado's path and somehow end up in the land of Oz. Here she meets some memorable friends and foes in her journey to meet the Wizard of Oz who everyone says can help her return home and possibly grant her new friends their goals of a brain, heart and courage.

Trivia: The film underwent about a dozen script drafts and four writers. Early on, the Cowardly Lion was in fact the cursed form of a handsome prince named Florizel (which is the name of the Prince in the Sleeping Beauty fairytale), who would battle the Witch in midair and kill her by cutting apart her broom while Dorothy watched from the sidelines. A female soda jerk was going to accompany Dorothy from Kansas at one point. Elements from the books floated in and out of the script, and about three characters each served as Professor Marvel's and the Wicked Witch's sounding boards (eventually Professor Marvel talked to his horse and the Witch to the leader of the winged monkeys). One element, however, was in the very first draft and never changed: Kansas in sepia, Oz in Technicolor.

Ruk's Comments

"While it admittedly shows its age somewhat, there's something simple and charming about this film that hasn't worn away in the slightest."

• Like 9

53. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) 22 points- 12 votes

"Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?"

poster_wonderful_470_ix.jpg

A young George Bailey, overwhelmed by family obligations and a sense of responsibility toward his community, feels tied down to a company he never had an interest in working for, and a life he never wanted to live. As he ages, he sees his youth, dreams and opportunities pass him by. Unknown to George, all of his friends and family have been praying for him to get through those hard times. Told through the point of view of a group of angels, he is met by Clarence his guardian angel, as he contemplates ending his life.

Trivia: As Uncle Billy is leaving George's house drunk, it sounds as if he stumbles over some trash cans on the sidewalk. In fact, a crew member dropped some equipment right after Uncle Billy left the screen. Both actors continued with the scene ("I'm all right, I'm all right!") and director Frank Capra decided to use it in the final cut. He gave the clumsy stagehand a $10 bonus for "improving the sound."

Ruk's Comments

"Still not seen this. Sorry."

• Like 10

52. The Prestige (2006) 23 points- 8 votes

"Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled."

prestige.jpg

In the end of the Nineteenth Century, in London, Robert Angier, his beloved wife Julia McCullough and Alfred Borden are friends and assistants of a magician. When Julia accidentally dies during a performance, Robert blames Alfred for her death and they become enemies. Both become famous and rival magicians, sabotaging the performance of the other on the stage. When Alfred performs a successful trick, Robert becomes obsessed trying to disclose the secret of his competitor with tragic consequences.

Trivia: Chung Ling Soo was a stage character created by a Caucasian American man, William Ellsworth Robinson, who disguised himself as a Chinese man to cash in on audiences' enthusiasm for the exotic. Robinson lived as Chung, never breaking character while in public. He died in March 1918 when a bullet catch trick went wrong. "My God, I've been shot" were both his last words and the first English he had spoken on stage in 19 years.

Ruk's Comments

"I've wisely decided to avoid commenting on Nolan films on this list. It's better for my mental health."

• Like 9

Well at least it's the best Nolan film.

I disagree, it's his second worst (Worst being TDKR).

On any point, there's no excuse for Prestige to be ranked above It's a Wonderful Life, the Wizard of Oz, or One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest.

• Like 4

Cuckoo's Nest needs to be higher.

Oz is a good movie but I never felt it's an all time classic.

Prestige is very good but not top 100.

As for IAWL? If you can't say something nice.....

It's a Wonderful Life and Oz are both all time classics whether you like it or not.

• Like 4