Gone Girl (2014)

99 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

FWIW, Fincher's solidly in the "Amy" camp. I don't have the link handy, but he did a Q&A last night after a screening.

Fincher the kinda guy who wouldn't find the relationship satisfying until you've slit your high school boyfriend's throat though. can't trust him on this.

• Like 5

Fincher's quote:  "I root for Rosamund. There are parts of the movie where I go, oh yeah, 'Go Amy.' I love Amy. I love seeing her planning out when she's going to take her own life. I think that's hilarious."

It sounds like he roots for Amy because he enjoyed developing her character/enjoyed how badass she was. IDK, if he agrees with her perspective, though. Knowing Fincher, he might not even give a shit whose perspective is right or reasonable or feminist or this or that. But anyways, he did enjoy writing creating Amy more (and I would've too).

Edited by Dark Jedi Master 007

(Except, of course, he didn't write Amy.) :ph34r:

My bad, I always forget that he doesn't write his scripts. I guess what I meant was he enjoyed her character more. I also enjoyed Amy's character way more than any other character, but that doesn't mean that I support her perspective (at least it doesn't mean that I fully endorse it) and IDK if Fincher does either.

• Like 2

My bad, I always forget that he doesn't write his scripts. I guess what I meant was he enjoyed her character more. I also enjoyed Amy's character way more than any other character, but that doesn't mean that I support her perspective (at least it doesn't mean that I fully endorse it) and IDK if Fincher does either.

Of course! Part of the fun of enjoying psychopathic behavior (or psychopaths) in movies is because of that outlet... it's something we would never endorse or actually do ourselves, but it can be fun watching others upset the cart within the context of fictional entertainment.

• Like 3

I have seen this movie yesterday.

The plot is terrific.  The execution is at times pretty tiresome and it's dragging for more than half of the movie. A few people left the theaters after one hour at my viewing.

But after that, the movie found its pace and the plot executes itself magnificently.

To me, Ben Affleck is the weaker point and the most repleacable of all actors...i don't know if it is a lack of charisma but even when it is revealed that his wife framed him, i didn't feel any empathy nor sympathy towards  his character.  

Rosamund Pike is the heart and soul of this whole movie.  She is mad talented and a great villain.  She is AMAZINGLY scarily psychopath.  

After that, you have Tyler Perry and Carrie Coon who both delivered great characters with convinction....and personally i was surprised by perry. 

To me it's a B, because the first half could have been handled better.

Edited by Ent

Really liked the tension, the acting, the directing...

Throughout the entire movie, once a certain level of intrigue or tension was reached, it never dropped below that level for the rest of the movie (if that makes sense) it only went up. Given that, there were a few things that didn't work 100% for me, and a few scenes that could have been "less overdone."

Rosamund Pike is getting a best lead actress nomination for sure, and while this could also get nominated for a slew of other things, I don't think they're as of a lock as Pike's nom.

8/10

• Like 1

Men's rights activists and generally misogynist assholes on the internet have started championing this movie for revealing the evils of women or some bullshit. I don't think the movie is misogynist but I fucking kneeeeew this would happen.

St00pidity is always louder than reason.

Saw this on Wednesday and I thought it was one of the best movies of the year! All of the acting was great and I enjoyed the story. Especially the big twist. While I may have preferred a different ending, I think it would great for the movie considering the point they were trying to get across. It might not win a lot of awards, but I hope this at least gets nominated for a lot of awards.

I would give it an....

A(95)

• Like 1

Of course! Part of the fun of enjoying psychopathic behavior (or psychopaths) in movies is because of that outlet... it's something we would never endorse or actually do ourselves, but it can be fun watching others upset the cart within the context of fictional entertainment.

Yep, it's pretty much the same reason Ledger's Joker got so much praise.

• Like 2

Yep, it's pretty much the same reason Ledger's Joker got so much praise.

Characters doing despicable things and getting a pass and´being treated as heroes is nothing new.

Most of the gangsters are murderers and they are seen as heroes in popular culture.

That is why I think every teenage girl should have a poster of Amazing´Amy in their room, empowerement baby.

Characters doing despicable things and getting a pass and´being treated as heroes is nothing new.

Most of the gangsters are murderers and they are seen as heroes in popular culture.

That is why I think every teenage girl should have a poster of Amazing´Amy in their room, empowerement baby.

I find it interesting that you're swooning and raving about "Amazing Amy" 24/7 even if her internal movie rant against "cool girls" is a jab at all the Jennifer Lawrence out there...

Edited by dashrendar44