Gone Girl (2014)

99 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Its the best movie of the year so far and easily my favorite Fincher movie along with The Social Network.  It probably won't win any major awards because of the nature of the film, but who gives a fuck?  Well done Mr. Finchy.  A+

Very similar in tone with Prisoners. That movie also was great and failed to get traction during the awards season.

I thought it was a nice touch (intentional or unintentional) to have Sela Ward play the woman who interviewed Affleck about the disappearance of his wife, at the point in the movie where everyone thought it was him. She of course was the murdered wife in the Fugitive, and everyone thought her husband did it too. ;)

Mind fucking blown. Never even made that connection

I'm in the A- camp.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 4

The movie screwed with my brain, what was weird was I saw a large amount of the twists coming thinking, 'this will probably happen,' yet I was still shocked when I saw it unfold and was still engaged trying to piece together the puzzle. I did think the ending dragged a bit and the movie's pacing feels slow yet you are invested throughout.

Gone Girl kept me thinking, either about the plot, or the social commentary that went with it. And not to mention the performances were golden, another fantastic addition to Fincher's resume.

A-

• Like 1

That is what convinces him to stay, I just...I don't know how I could stay especially since it's an unborn child. Yes, that's a lot of guilt to bear, but at the same time, the fact that the child was brought to the world without a mutual consent, I feel like it'd be difficult to see it as truly my own child. But that's easy for me to say.

Was it his child? I thought she staged the pregnancy? Then, was only pregnant later 'cause Doogie Howser finished up in there... For a minute, when Nick mentioned the blood test, I figured he knew this...

Oh, by the way, B+/B from me. Felt similarly about Side Effects.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

I think Amy is one of the most fucked up and scary characters I've ever seen.  She's realistic and even though I have never seen some women go to this extreme (obviously), some of them have not been far off, that's what makes her so flippin scary imo.  

• Like 5

A worthy addition to the genre... Stands well alongside Body Heat, Fatal Attraction, To Die For, Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf, etc. I enjoyed it a good deal. Unfortunately, lacks the focus of any of the aforementioned. And, really, lacks the bite/punch of 'em well. Really loved the last hour and half when it descended into madcap pitch black comedy. But, wading through the painfully overwritten first half damaged the goods a bit. Rock solid B+ and likely, due the filmmaker, a movie I will see with the intention of raising my grade. Standouts were Pike, Coon and Detective Boney. The rest were good. But, hmm, not great.

I really, really wish Flynn did not adapt her own novel. I think that hindered it quite a bit at times. I imagine Fincher could've gotten any number of uber-talented screenwriters that know satire to more effectively streamline it and jettison the extra fat.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

So, for the uber-initiated or, better put, those that paid more attention than myself.... I know Nick went to a fertility clinic. Did Amy have/seek out his swimmers at said clinic to lock him in via artificial insemination? Or, instead, was the child the result of Desi's penultimate spray of ooze? The white one, not the red...

Didn't he give her the sample and letter that they were gonna destroy it if they didn't respond? So she just used the sample and told him it was destroyed.

That's what I thought. But, between Amy taking the "stupid neighbor's" urine from the toilet when said neighbor was pregnant and storing that urine in a receptacle, Amy waiting until the moment Desi climaxed and Nick yelling "I want a blood test," I got a bit jumbled. I likely should've paid better attention. Not sure why I couldn't reconcile this... Obviously, with Fincher, gotta be as attentive as possible.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

Saw this on Friday night last week I have to admit I really liked this movie very good directing, acting, screenplay, and strange twist as well. I have not read the book to explain it all and the differences but overall as a movie one of the better movies of the year if not the best. So anyway an A-

A+

Loved it, loved it, loved it! Rosamund Pike was legit giving me chills at the end. What a wonderfully unbalanced character. Like something out of a delightful 1940s film noir... really I cannot gush enough. And Tyler Perry. He can act and be likeable! What is this? The only minor problem I had is that I felt the storyline could have been tightened up a little in the period between the reveal she was alive in the car until her arriving back home. Motel (?) time especially could have been trimmed down by 5-10 minutes for me. Otherwise, perfection.

Even though now i'm scared to ever get married...

Edited by glassfairy
  • Like 1

What the fuck dude...it was doing everything so masterfully and then the final 2 scenes just kicked it all in the teeth. I HATED that ending. I can't belive Amy got away with it. She murders one guy, falsely accuses another, and then almost gets her husband in prison...and wins. The blonde girl always gets away with it. I see it firsthand in real life, but I won't get into that. In this case, I felt empathy for everyone but her.

I genuinely felt bad for her ex that she accused of rape. He couldn't get a job, a date, his life was ruined. This just reminded me of times where guys are falsely accused, black males in many instances, and then they have their lives ruined, just for the girl to come back and have to admit she was lying years later. False rape is just as bad as actual rape. And then Desi was such a genuine character. He was creepy and kind of off, but he was genuine, and then Amy just stabs him in the back (somewhat literally), and his image is forever ruined. And then Nick...

The acting was an A. Pike was great, but I was honestly more impressed with Carrie Coon. She was sensational. Affleck was pretty good and his character was supposed to be bitter and non-charasmatic, he played that well. Even Tyler Perry was good. He had charisma (though thats to be expected from Madea) and he was pretty believable as a lawyer. I never once saw him as Madea. Kim Dickens was also really good and Missy Pyle phoned-in Nancy Grace pretty good. The cinematography was great: I loved the greenscale tone, and the editing was Oscar worthy (although I have no idea why there was a shot of Walmart and KFC signs). How they went from the present to the past to present to past to present, and then merged Nick and Amy's stories into a flowing storyline for the rest of the movie was flawless. Fincher did great. And the eerie tune was great in the background. The writing was also Oscar worthy. So many sophisticated and smart dialouge and conversations, I couldnt keep up. And for a 2 1/2 hour long drama, it didn't drag.

I was on "the edge of my seat" the whole time. The guy next to us was literally on the edge of his seat. I had no idea how it would end. I was starting to suspect she was still alive, but I had no idea that would be her motive. The shot of her sinking really throws you off. Every scene once she got back felt like it was building and building and building to her getting caught in her lies. Every new scene I was like "Yes Nick is finally gonna get her!" "Officer Rhonda is finally gonna call her out!" And no. He FUCKING STAYS WITH HER. She almost sent him to PRISON, and he clearly knew she was a psychopath 1. because she killed a man, 2. he knew she concocted a plan to send him to the big house, and 3. he was fucking afraid to sleep in the same fucking bed! BUT HE STAYS. He shouldve been like "bitch, go ahead and try to drag me down with you, my fingerprints arent on anything. Youre going to prison and I'm getting my life back." But no, he bitches out. He has to lock the door because hes afraid shell come in the room and stab him in the middle of the night, but won't just admit she concocted it all.

I finally thought the blonde girl wasnt gonna get away with it this time, finally...and she gets away with it all. The movie up to the end was an A, and then the last 2 scenes were straight F's. I was about to come out so high on this movie, and I came out dissapointed. Everyone in the theater was like "what?...thats it?..." Yes, thats fucking it. Worst ending since Blue Jasmine. I guess I give the movie a B. It wouldve been an A, but the ending just kicks it all in the balls. I wanted redemption for her ex Tommy?, Desi, and Nick, but he pusses out and stays with her. And its not like theres gonna be Gone Girl 2 where we finally see it unfold. Nope. Fincher, you directed the hell out of this movie, but the ending just makes me smh. Cant friggin believe it. She gets to go on and live her perfect pretty little life while all the guys in her life have to continue suffering, that is if they arent DEAD. Whatever.

B i guess. I guess. It doesn't deserve a C, but whatever. Fine, I'm inventing my own letter. Theres now a letter between B and C called "SMMFH". That's what Gone Girl gets. Bye.

• Like 1

I think I'm annoyed more by the plausibility of the ending, rather than she got away with it. Perhaps they're tied together, but I understand thematically what they're going for, it's just asking me to accept too much to roll with it. Justice isn't always served though.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

I think I'm annoyed more by the plausibility of the ending, rather than she got away with it. Perhaps they're tied together, but I understand thematically what they're going for, it's just asking me to accept too much to roll with it. Justice isn't always served though.

The best thing I can think of the feds want a quick fix to this case to please the public. They had a guy who had a history with her and he has problems in the past with her. She claims she got kidnapped by him. It was an easily quick solution for the people in charge of the case.  It is a movie, so I know it unrealistic that nobody in the investigation questioned her. But I thought the ending was brilliant. 

• Like 1

The ending is great... for a few reasons. First of all, you guys who are rooting for Nick to "get justice" are a mark, as the wrestling guys would say. Objectively, he's not as evil as her, of course, but he's still a rotten human being, for the most part.

They deserve each other, and that's exactly what they got.

Secondly, the movie does a fairly clever little switch of protagonists. By the third act, Nick isn't the protagonist anymore, Amy is. So, in a gleefully savage way, the movie does give its protagonist a happy ending. And not only is it a happy ending, it's perfect, poetic justice.

Thirdly, as a full-on satire of Americana and the American dream, the movie is less concerned with pure "realism" and more concerned with hacking away at the pompous, pitiful, cowardly, and vile ways we adopt masks and personas in a sheer effort to "win". As you say, Jandrew, Nick could've stopped the ending.... but deep down, he refused to. He wasn't willing to accept the fact he would have to "lose" in order to break free. 

Fourthly, cinema history is filled with countless protagonists who risk everything -- even if they reach true savagery -- to achieve their goals. We may not like them, but we respect the characters for being utterly true to themselves. Hannibal Lector, Gordon Gekko, Colonel Kurtz, Daniel Plainview, etc. The only difference is this time it's a woman pulling it all off.

Lastly, Amy doesn't really "get away with it". Sure, she escapes criminal justice and society won't look on her as a horrific sociopath and murderer. But in her efforts to grab the material things she feels she deserves (respect, power, money, a family), she loses the very core of all of those things. Her marriage is a joyless sham (at best). Her husband hates her. Her kid is gonna be messed up beyond belief. And that's also the point of the satire: both of them were so desperate for the surface aspect of life, and so focused on the shallowness of how others immediately perceive you, that they miss out entirely on what living actually is. They are joyless, fearful, passive-aggressive puppets playing each other (and playing off each other) in a play that no one else is watching.

• Like 8