CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

25 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Matt would have had to go into the closet forever if he had been Ratner's Superman in the 00s. And the Cavill rumors would have been a BILLION times more obnoxious.

Rumors? I thought it was well established that Henry Cavill was up for the role back when it was supposed to be Superman: Flyby?  He himself talked about that way back in 2009. 

On 1/1/2024 at 9:38 AM, ChipDerby said:

Bro lmao come on

Agreed,

I suspect a lot of names got tossed out in the early stages of casting. But that is it: a name get mentioned in casting, but is quicky shot down.

18 hours ago, dudalb said:

Agreed,

I suspect a lot of names got tossed out in the early stages of casting. But that is it: a name get mentioned in casting, but is quicky shot down.

Over the years, a lot of them have actually been confirmed. Hartnett has been confirmed by a ton of people including Ratner, who also confirmed Bomer. Fraser, Paul Walker, and Ashton Kutcher all confirmed it themselves. There is a screenshot of Cavill's test out there. The reporting in general is pretty accurate. Anthony Hopkins was signed as Jor-el throughout, Brett Ratner and the studio both viewed Josh Hartnett as their first choice in 2002, which was the 2nd time he was offered the role (the first being for BvS earlier in 2002), he rejects, the studio moved on Ashton Kutcher and Paul Walker, also reject it, Ratner and co. again approach Hartnett with the infamous mega offer, he rejects, they do not want to offer the same contract to Kutcher or Walker, studio pushed Brendan Fraser while Ratner wants Matt Bomer, can't agree, Ratner quits, McG comes in, casts Robert Downey Jr as Lex Luthor and zeros in on Henry Cavill and Jared Padalecki for the lead role. Film falls apart shortly thereafter. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

Not Emilia, please. I'd be fine with either Meg or Milly. Meg has the kinda vibe they're trying to go with Superman for. Not sure if they want that vibe for Supergirl though.

Why not Emilia?

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

I've seen her in enough things that I just do not like the vibe she brings.

Fair. I think Milly should get the role tbh. She's got the most going for her compared to the other two. 

On a purely superficial and cynical business basis, hiring Alcock makes sense because she has the most recognition and popularity and at this point, Gunn and DC need to make some "popular" choices (putting popular in quotes because so far GOT actors have done shit for the box office of the films they've appeared in)

I'm still not sure if Supergirl is THE female character to push tho, even if it's obvious why they want to give Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn a breather.

Edited by Spidey Freak

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

On a purely superficial and cynical business basis, hiring Alcock makes sense because she has the most recognition and popularity and at this point, Gunn and DC need to make some "popular" choices (putting popular in quotes because so far GOT actors have done shit for the box office of the films they've appeared in)

I'm still not sure if Supergirl is THE female character to push tho, even if it's obvious why they want to give Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn a breather.

Not to mention  they are coming off a very sucessful Supergirl TV show.