CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

56 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It's called the Citizen Kane syndrome.

Citize Kane did so many things for the first time that have since become standard techniques of filmmaking by the most hamhanded hack that it's hard to realize, upon first viewing, just how brilliant Kane was in 1941 and how much ground it broke unless you know some film history.

I, uh…don’t think I would compare GotG to Citizen Kane. 

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I, uh…don’t think I would compare GotG to Citizen Kane. 

Artistically, no. Kane is a great,great movie GotG is a good one.

But your point was that somebody seeing GOGT 1 after 2 and 3 might not see what was so good and fresh about it,  and that is a little like people are so used to seeing so much  of the camera work and story telling techniques  that Welles did for the first time in Kane used all the time that they don;t get how freash and stunning that would havew been in 1941.

10 hours ago, dudalb said:

Look at it this way: He can't mess up the charecter more then Snyder did,

This may come as a shock to you and some of the louder parts of the internet but i liked MoS and yes, BvS. Have still to watch Snyder's Justice League (my 4k bluray is still wrapped up lol). You can definitely do worse in terms of portraying Superman as far as i'm concerned.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Elessar said:

This may come as a shock to you and some of the louder parts of the internet but i liked MoS and yes, BvS. Have still to watch Snyder's Justice League (my 4k bluray is still wrapped up lol). You can definitely do worse in terms of portraying Superman as far as i'm concerned.

The 4k of his JL is STUNNING, as someone who didn't care for MoS or BvS...I adored JL. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Elessar said:

But not much worse. Like the bar is about an inch off the floor in BvS.

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

14 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

The 4k of his JL is STUNNING, as someone who didn't care for MoS or BvS...I adored JL. 

Yeah, I hate MOS and BvS is a special kind of terrible, but his JL was really good. Probably will wind up being the absolute high point of the DCEU.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

But not much worse. Like the bar is about an inch off the floor in BvS.

Snyder vision of Superman as a trouble, never-smiling, ghost pale emo Edward Cullen wannabe was just bizarre. I knew as soon as we saw pics of him that Snyder didn't get it. Snyder 100% did understand some of what audiences wanted out of a Superman film, i.e. rousing fights, which Bryan Singer somehow entirely missed, but he completely missed the core the character. 

And now we know that in Justice League 2, Snyder warned to remake Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor and have Lois Lane hook up with Bruce Wayne while she thinks Superman is dead...

Snyder was just 1000% wrong for Superman. It's kinda shocking how off base he was on the character. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, excel1 said:

Snyder vision of Superman as a trouble, never-smiling, ghost pale emo Edward Cullen wannabe was just bizarre. I knew as soon as we saw pics of him that Snyder didn't get it. And now we know that in Justice League 2, Snyder warned to remake Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor and have Lois Lane hook up with Bruce Wayne while she thinks Superman is dead...

Snyder was just 1000% wrong for Superman. It's kinda shocking how off base he was on the character. 

The thing is that MoS provides a great base and launching point for the Superman we expect to see, and instead Snyder decides it needs to be 4 more movies before he can become that.

It's pretty much the perfect setup - "Welcome to the planet" "Good to be here"

tumblr_ndxae0MpKB1r60h6bo1_500.gif

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The thing is that MoS provides a great base and launching point for the Superman we expect to see, and instead Snyder decides it needs to be 4 more movies before he can become that.

It's pretty much the perfect setup - "Welcome to the planet" "Good to be here"

tumblr_ndxae0MpKB1r60h6bo1_500.gif

Potential was there, but MOS was a flawed film that was given a highly flawed release by WB and the financials really suffered as a result. MOS made enough money to ensure a sequel but wasn't near popular enough to for the sequel to be an ensured huge hit. Very similar to Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 in this instance. I can see why they instantly thought "time to add Batman!". 

TBH 10 minutes into MOS, every pro and con of Snyder was visible. The epic scale of the Kryptonion action was breathtaking, and the scene of Clark rescuing the oil workers was sick. On the other hand, Zod's "I will find him!" was cringeworthy and worst of all, the absurd Codex/"what if a child dreamed of being something other than what society had intended?" faux-deep philosophical shit was spouted. While Nolan was so subtle but still clear with the deep themes of the TDK trilogy, Snyder had no clue what he really trying to say. 

They really nailed the premise of MOS but it was led by the wrong person. Is what it is. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 4

Man of Steel is quite flawed but I think a proper MoS sequel dealing with the fallout of it could've helped make the controversial elements go down easier with time. I don't necessarily hate the collateral damage or Zod's death, it's just that the film glosses over it and ends 5 mins later and we never get a chance to see how it impacts/shapes Superman. Although, it's better than what we've got since in every CBM after. Demolishing 50 city blocks and then someone in an ADRd line off screen goes "thankfully no one was injured, we evacuated the city in time".

Edited by TheDude391
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

I don't necessarily hate the collateral damage or Zod's death, it's just that the film glosses over it and ends 5 mins later and we never get a chance to see how it impacts/shapes Superman. 

I think maybe having a quick news report or voiceover with the "rebuilding of Metropolis" and showing how Superman has been helping in the efforts could have worked. Instead, we just cut to a rebuilt Metropolis. There were set-pics IIRC which showed that it was an idea the makers had as well but it didn't make it into the final cut.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, dudalb said:

Look at it this way: He can't mess up the charecter more then Snyder did, and I think Gunn is a better filmmaker.

On the flip side, he can mess up Lois Lane WAY more than Snyder.

Whoever is cast in that role will tell us a LOT about how much justice the movie will do to the character.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

lol, i knew i would get like half a dozen replies to my post saying how bad / flawed MoS / BvS was....

Not bad/flawed, downright awful for Superman as a character (BvS). Bad or Flawed means there was a chance to make something of it, there was none.

MOS has some issues but overall like it . It's no 2 on my dceu ranking and dig what was going for and needed a proper sequel dealing with the fallout.

BVS is all over the place, doing and setting up so much and all just feels all disjointed and a mess . Don't get me started with lex luthor plot and doomsday nonsense .

BVS should have been the fourth movie in the dceu after mos2 and Batman movie.

DC wanted to be MCU so bad and fucked the Dceu.

Can't help but wonder if Flash ending non-explosion reinforces the need for a name in the lead for this. Elordi will get Gen Z going 100x more than DC will. Is what it is.

James, make the commercial decision and cast Jacob. 

16 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Can't help but wonder if Flash ending non-explosion reinforces the need for a name in the lead for this. Elordi will get Gen Z going 100x more than DC will. Is what it is.

James, make the commercial decision and cast Jacob. 

Elordi's not even interested though. THR said he was offered a chance to audition and didn't even send a tape

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Elordi's not even interested though. THR said he was offered a chance to audition and didn't even send a tape

That was almost instantly corrected (no doubt by Elordi's people) by Kroll and others. No doubt WB is watching Elordi.