CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

45 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Hey, that is  part of the job description of being a studio head.

Sure, but it is indeed amusing given the amount of "I was told this was a GOAT superhero film and it was merely just solid!" comments this past weekend.

They are basically pulling a Dominos-pizza esque "yeah we get it, our old product sucked" approach to this restart which should help build initial credibility, but expectation management isn't always a bad thing. 

Elordi was in Italy over the weekend so he wasn't part of the auditions. :(  Maybe he can be Nightwing?

I would bet it is Corenswet at this point who is a good pick critically but obviously lacks the preexisting star power to jolt the property from its epic slumber with gen z. 

Edited by excel1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Gunn really is doing a modern day version of the Search For Scarlett O Hara.....and Like Sleznick, milking it for every bit of publicity he can.

Edited by dudalb

17 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Gunn really is doing a modern day version of the Search For Scarlett O Hara.....and Like Sleznick, milking it for every bit of publicity he can.

Funny you note this, I was actually thinking earlier how this round is actually getting a bit less attention than the search that resulted in Henry Cavill. It also isn't even comparable to the casting frenzy around was years in the making leading to Brandon Routh. Those ones had months of rumors with names associated etc, this go round has been much more limited in comparison to say, Marvel's Fantasic Four. 

3 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

John Campea claiming that Superman Legacy will lose money. That guy really annoys me. 

I think there is a very high likelyhood of this as things stand today. It sucks but it's true, this is how bad mismanaged the IP has been and how poor the brand equity currently is. Right now, this is 2004 all over again. They are making Superman Begins. Expectations really, really need to be held in check.  They need absolutely nail the quality first and foremost and hope the future films will have a more eager audience awaiting them.

Of course - there is a path to this breaking out, but it is a narrow window with exciting Gen Z, attracting true talent around the main star and then marketing it properly. 

Edited by excel1

30 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

John Campea claiming that Superman Legacy will lose money. That guy really annoys me. 

Pathetic.. And let me say this: it could make let’s say less than The Batman, but as long as WB gets a slam drunk that people enjoy, it’s more than enough. Reminder: it’s about reestablishing Superman and the DCU. That’s the main job, not really ‘OMG Superman did less or more than Fantastic Four’, ‘it didn’t make $1b’. The DCU will be running its own race in 2025.

EDIT; Wait, actually listening John Campea now and well, look at this: I believe he is 100% right. I take back what I said. He is 100% right on this. And he is also right about the MCU 4-year plan.

Edited by ZattMurdock

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Gunn’s keeping her as Harley Quinn. 

Margot Robbie's Barbie follow up?

Movie is renamed "Lois Lane ft. supes

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Rumors are that David Corenswet is the new Supes

Would be a very solid choice for the film but wouldn't bring the buzz needed to really help the film explode. Sure, this could be like casting Christian Bale over Josh Hartnett and Heath Ledger in the long run, so we'll see.

DCU just needs to buckle down and make good movies. The box office wont be all that at the start, but putting out good movies after good movies,, which will hopefully make more poeple to go the cinema to see them. And if they are planning some big event movies down the line and with enough good movies under the belt maybe it could be something great at the bo.

I'm just scared that if Superman Legacy and Brave and the Bold dont make enough money they will scrap the whole thing, even if the movies themselves are good. I just dont see the DCU is going to be given enough time before its scrapped.