grim22

CBS to launch standlone web-streaming channel

CBS is following HBO into the field of web streaming: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/17/business/cbs-to-offer-web-subscription-service.html

CBS announced a new subscription Internet streaming service on Thursday that allows people to watch its live television programming and thousands of its current and past shows on demand without paying for a traditional TV subscription.

The new “CBS All Access” service, costing $5.99 a month, is the first time that a traditional broadcaster will make a near-continuous live feed of its local stations available over the web to non-pay-TV subscribers. At its start, the live stream will be available in 14 markets in the United States.

After much anticipation, this new era of à la carte TV has suddenly arrived — all at once and more quickly than many industry executives, observers and television fans had expected. And with it, the virtual monopoly that cable, satellite and telecommunications companies have had over TV programming is dissipating.

Subscribers to “CBS All Access” will be able to watch local CBS television stations in 14 markets, including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas and San Francisco. More affiliates are expected to join.

Available in all other United States markets beyond the initial 14 markets are episodes of current prime time shows like “The Big Bang Theory” and “NCIS” the day after they are shown, and more than 5,000 episodes of such series as “Star Trek,” “Cheers” and “MacGyver.”

In a notable carve-out, National Football League games will not be available on the service. CBS executives said they are now in discussions with the N.F.L. and that other live sports are already available for streaming. A similar service from Showtime, the premium cable network owned by CBS, is likely in the “not too distant future,” Mr. Moonves said.

It's too expensive IMO. Hulu Plus is like what $7.99 for FOUR broadcast networks and multiple cable channels? $5.99 for just one network seems like CBS is overpricing it.

Ehh, CBS has a lot of well-watched shows... plus, they're including past hits, too. I'd even say adding Showtime to the $5.99 subscription would be enough to make it worthwhile. 

• Community Manager

Ehh, CBS has a lot of well-watched shows... plus, they're including past hits, too. I'd even say adding Showtime to the $5.99 subscription would be enough to make it worthwhile. 

If they added Showtime, I'd agree but Hulu has past hits as well. ;)

Well I can't think of a single show on CBS you could pay me 5.99 a month to watch, let alone the other way around, but this could be a big deal. A channel offering standalone live streaming is something only WWE has delved into so far and while CBS isn't a cable channel it's still without precedent. I've been waiting for the distant day that we can subscribe to live streaming for the channels we want individually instead of feeding the horrible cable company for a hundred that we don't care about ever since the WWE Network was announced. It'll be much harder for cable stations to eventually follow suit because they'd be alienating the cable providers that keep them on the air for anybody who doesn't use web streaming, but we'll get there eventually.

• Like 2

It's too expensive IMO. Hulu Plus is like what $7.99 for FOUR broadcast networks and multiple cable channels? $5.99 for just one network seems like CBS is overpricing it.

CBS isn't hardly on Hulu...or not at all? They have always been mostly separate, and they used CBS.com for most of their shows...

Saying that...I wonder what will happen with CBS.Com....or is that what they will use...as a part pay part free .Com. As I thinkmthey need some free access shows.

Showtime or bust. No reason to subscribe to CBS for $6/month.

I actually have Hulu. However, I just got DVR, so I am about to cancel it though.

I also like and have Hulu Plus at 8 a month....as it gives me access to so many shows for the season....and then with Netflix, you get so many past shows.

And for 8+8 or 16 a month, I get so many movies, and past/present TV shows for their whole series.....and 16 a month, is like the price I pay for one movie night out!!!

• Community Manager

Well I can't think of a single show on CBS you could pay me 5.99 a month to watch, let alone the other way around, but this could be a big deal. A channel offering standalone live streaming is something only WWE has delved into so far and while CBS isn't a cable channel it's still without precedent. I've been waiting for the distant day that we can subscribe to live streaming for the channels we want individually instead of feeding the horrible cable company for a hundred that we don't care about ever since the WWE Network was announced. It'll be much harder for cable stations to eventually follow suit because they'd be alienating the cable providers that keep them on the air for anybody who doesn't use web streaming, but we'll get there eventually.

CBS has The Good Wife (one of the best TV shows currently on the air) and Person of Interest (the best science-fiction show on the air right now). Why wouldn't you want to watch those shows for money?

CBS isn't hardly on Hulu...or not at all? They have always been mostly separate, and they used CBS.com for most of their shows...

Saying that...I wonder what will happen with CBS.Com....or is that what they will use...as a part pay part free .Com. As I thinkmthey need some free access shows.

Past seasons of The Good Wife, Blue Bloods, and some of their library is on Hulu.

CBS.com will stay since it does serve a purpose beyond full episodes.

CBS has The Good Wife (one of the best TV shows currently on the air) and Person of Interest (the best science-fiction show on the air right now). Why wouldn't you want to watch those shows for money?

Past seasons of The Good Wife, Blue Bloods, and some of their library is on Hulu.

CBS.com will stay since it does serve a purpose beyond full episodes.

I actually had no clue that The Good Wife was on CBS, though I'm not particularly interested in Person of Interest. Like I said, "that I can think of".