Thrylos 7

Movies that inexplicably didn't receive a sequel ...

There are some movies that were successful , had potential for many sequels and never got them . I'll start with three :

1) sleepy hollow . Great gothic film that showed me how a modern hammer movie should be . Why didn't they continue with further adventures of Johnny dep's characters facing other monsters in a similar gothic setting with the charm of the first movie ?

2) commando . Big success for Arnie and we never got a sequel . Again , at the time of its release, everyone was waiting for the sequel .

3) Total recall . Same as with commando , minority report should have been the sequel to this and I bet with verhoeven on the direction it would be much better than what we eventually got .

Edited by Thrylos 7

Commando got a (unofficial) sequel. Just this little movie called DIE HARD. Arnie just didn't want to do it.

Sorry, but having the same producer and writer doesn't constitute a sequel.  McClaine is about as diametric from Matrix as can be.

• Like 1

Hancock (I'm not sure if it was development issues or what - Peter Berg should have made Hancock 2 instead of Battleship)

The Karate Kid (Karate Kid 2 would have probably done well if Will had committed Jaden to that instead of f'in After Urf)

Wedding Crashers (not because it needed one; I'm just surprised that studio execs didn't try to get a sequel going. Even if it was inferior, it could have had a Meet the Fockers/Hangover II sequel bump; anybody remember any rumblings about it from back when?)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 4

Sorry, but having the same producer and writer doesn't constitute a sequel.  McClaine is about as diametric from Matrix as can be.

Darkelf is referring to the movie's inception which was actually meant as a Commando's sequel at one point until Arnie dropped out and the script got rewritten:

Die Hard is based on Roderick Thorp's 1979 novel Nothing Lasts Forever, a sequel to his 1966 novel The Detective which had itself been turned into a 1968 film of the same name starring Frank Sinatra. That film was a box office success, and when Thorp wrote the sequel, the studio was contractually obliged to offer Sinatra the lead role despite being 73 years old at the time. Sinatra turned down the role. The story was then changed to have no connection to The Detective and instead pursued as a sequel to the 1985 Arnold Schwarzenegger-starring action film Commando, but Schwarzenegger was not interested in reprising his role. The script was offered to a variety of action stars including Sylvester Stallone, Harrison Ford, and Don Johnson, all of whom turned it down.[3]

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

Hancock (I'm not sure if it was development issues or what - Peter Berg should have made Hancock 2 instead of Battleship)

The Karate Kid (Karate Kid 2 would have probably done well if Will had committed Jaden to that instead of f'in After Urf)

Wedding Crashers (not because it needed one; I'm just surprised that studio execs didn't try to get a sequel going. Even if it was inferior, it could have had a Meet the Fockers/Hangover II sequel bump; anybody remember any rumblings about it from back when?)

Agree. I enjoyed it a lot.

Edited by peludo

The Incredibles. Its been a decade and still no sequel. Are there any plans or news of it?

Freddy vs. Jason. Why we got an AvP sequel and not a FvJ sequel is just blasphemous!

They are actually, a Sequel to Incredibles is in the works. probably be released in 2017-2018.

National Treasure 2.. well yeah it was already a sequel, but it was more successful then the first where is NT 3? 

Edited by KaloVisor
  • Like 2

Some nice suggestions. Die hard wasn't going to be commando 2 ,in the form that it was released, commando 2 was supposed to be about matrix trying to get in a building not escape from it .

Top gun and Hancock are great suggestions . Really makes you wonder why we get reboot after reboot, that most fail, instead of sequels to huge movies .i mean Hancock screamed for a sequel ...

• Like 1

The Blob from 1988. Really entertaining movie, and the ending set it up for a sequel, but I believe the movie tanked at the box office. So, not inexplicable, just unfortunate.

Well if we follow that path then the thing should be the ultimate candidate for a sequel .