Rise of the Planet of the Apes

51 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Rise of the Planet of the Apes

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It's decent, but really only works as a precursor to Dawn.

I enjoyed it and respected the fact that it tried to take on more than your usual blockbuster.  In the end the characters aren't really worth a damn outside of Caesar, but it's still worth a watch.

just rewatched it

really a great film

The highlight for me were James Franco's character & Caesar(sp?)'s scenes

I almost teared up :(

I dont know how Dawn will work for me without that aspect

+ another positive is the film's running time cause it really flows smoothly & when it ended I wanted more!

Edited by Tauriel
  • Like 1

It's ver very dumb. I guess it has to be dumb if the story is about Apes beating humans.

To me, the film was made only because of the second half. The first half almost feels like an unnecessary evil, writer & director didn't seem to put much thought into it.

And I'm sorry, but it doesn't matter how hard you try, I will never, never side with Apes (or any other spice) in a confront with humans. You can villainize (some) humans all you want, you can come up with ridiculously despicable characters like Dodge Landon, but in a confront I know which side I stand for. 55/100

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

So I bought both Rise and Dawn of the planet of the Apes in order to get ready for the third one coming out.

Just got done with Rise, and it's definitely left me weird. I actually liked the story and plot throughout the whole movie. I thought the pacing was good and the story telling/characters really emotional. I was entertained throughout and when it hit it's peak (the apes getting out), I was 100% invested in it......until 15-20 minutes the movie suddenly just ends? I feel like there was a little skirmish here and there, the apes get away without really much of a battle, and then the movie ends with them in the woods?

I should (and I do somewhat) feel relieved that this movie opted to not go through the generic movie route of a big battle scene where one side wins the other loses. Yet, I just felt like the just ends randomly, like I was expecting more to happen and then all of a sudden the movie is over.....a movie is suppose to want you feeling more of it, but I feel like in this case it works in a negative way.

Other than that, I really thought this film was pretty solid. The visual effects are absolutely spectacular, I mean seriously they all looked life like, like they were on screen. The characters (actual live ones) were good to decent, Ceaser definitely steals the show from them, but I will say the last exchange between Ceaser and Will to be the best scene and most epic of the film, absolutely well done.

I'd give this a strong B rating, overall 7/10. Can't wait to see what Dawn delivers.

• Like 1

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a very good sci-fi that's at its best when it's being a different breed than what we usually get. The slow burn of the first two-thirds is a fascinating tale about the dangers and wonders that can come from scientific accomplishment. Serkis is spectacular as Caesar and the CG for the most part holds up six years later. Too bad the third act is a generic action blockbuster, removing all the thoughtfulness of what came beforehand. The action is dully shot and edited, and goes on for far too long. It's a critical misstep in what could've been an absolute sci-fi classic. As it is, Rise of the Planet of the Apes is an above-average reboot of the famed franchise, thanks to a smart script and a truly remarkable performance from Andy Serkis. B