grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

Yes, I know, but 150 mill for an original film from anyone not named Cameron should be considered a great number.  WW this still has a great chance at 600 mill.

If you look at the number in a vacuum they're good for original sci-fi but factor in Nolan's name including his last 4 movies than they're a little disappointing, at least domestically. 600M WW can never be disappointing. 

Cameron hadn't been able to build off his own name before that film either. Titanic was a big hit via tremendous legs.

Whatever reasons there may have been to go soft on Interstellar, there were also plausible ones to go big on it, at least until one saw the actual film.

How can you say that True Lies and T2 weren't partly successful because of Cameron's name?

• Like 3

Is it really that impossible for it to have a multiplier better than 3x? Why can't it have good legs? I'm asking out of curiosity here.

Better than 3?  Sure.  But 4?  That's hard.

• Like 2

You could much more easily attribute those to Schwarzenegger's rising starpower. And in that era, starpower was everything.

No doubt Arnold was the draw, but Cameron contributed as well.  

• Like 1

Not even getting 500m. It will be lucky to get 450m. 

Curious why you say that?  Has it opened in a bunch of markets that have reported early numbers already?

China has 100M+ potential, 45-50M from UK, 40M+ from SK, 25M+ from Russia, Germany, France and Japan so 450M OS is definitely do able. 

Why does it have 100 mill potential in China?  This doesn't seem like the kind of film they would go nuts over.

• Like 2

Curious why you say that?  Has it opened in a bunch of markets that have reported early numbers already?

It suppose to bad in the Brazil and Russia number looks bad. Only report I have seen it might do okay in the UK. I also don't think this appeal to OS audience. Too American for alot of them and there no star in the film that appeals overseas. 

• Like 1