Fancyarcher

Wednesday Actuals: Nolan - 3.4, BH6 - 1.8M

Fun fact: Lawrence of Arabia is still the second highest grossing World War 1 movie. The number 1 is Warhorse. Do Americans just not like WW1 set movies or something?

WW1 isn't a very cinematic war for big audiences since it revolved around muddy trench warfare and static defenses.

An action movie with people running across no man's land getting machine gunned and little tangible effect to the outcome wouldn't sell well.

• Like 1

I don't care if they were fantasy movies with CGI. I still consider the LOTR trilogy to be the modern equivalents of Lawrence, Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments, and so forth. Epic, sweeping, incredibly expensive, yet still with mass audience appeal.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 6

WW1 isn't a very cinematic war for big audiences since it revolved around muddy trench warfare and static defenses.

An action movie with people running across no man's land getting machine gunned and little tangible effect to the outcome wouldn't sell well.

WW1 unlike WW2 or other wars does not have "glory" or some sort of clash between good and evil in it. 

WW1 unlike WW2 or other wars does not have "glory" or some sort of clash between good and evil in it. 

Which has led to some great movies, like All Quiet on the Western Front, Paths of Glory, Gallipoli, etc.

It's just not a war suited for the big epic blockbuster treatment because of how static and immobile it was in the theater people know best (Western Front).

• Like 1

LAWRENCE's budget adjusts to about $120m today.

And horses have probably died on the shoot.

The scene where they release the horses from the train, you can some of them jumping and having terrible falls with at least two legs probably broken. It s kinda horrible to watch.

If we're talking adjusted numbers I gotta say Forrest Gump deserves to be discussed. It's a human dramedy with a focus on culturally significant events but still take a step back and think about the fact that is adjusts to over $650 million today. What's more it came literally just weeks after TLK which also adjusts to over $600 million.

1994 was crazy. I mean, I don't think we've had two films selling more than 70 million tickets in the same year since.

Edited by Mangostellar in 70mm
  • Like 5

Which has led to some great movies, like All Quiet on the Western Front, Paths of Glory, Gallipoli, etc.

It's just not a war suited for the big epic blockbuster treatment because of how static and immobile it was in the theater people know best (Western Front).

Hunt for Red October actually did pretty well with a relatively static and immobile setting and a plot focused more on code breaking than actual action. Something like that could help with a WWI movie. But yeah, the lack of a clearly defined villain like the Nazis hurts those movies.

And horses have probably died on the shoot.

The scene where they release the horses from the train, you can some of them jumping and having terrible falls with at least two legs probably broken. It s kinda horrible to watch.

Unfortunately, those sorts of practices were commonplace and established until the 1980s. Regardless, shooting LAWRENCE today without CG (and using proper animal care) wouldn't drastically increase the budget.

You could say a very stupid war in that sense. Probably never should have happened.

Of all the major wars, it was the one that really did not have to happen. Pretty much was the big empires of the time feeling to proud of themselves. 

You can see in the attitude of the people for example how people responded to Kipling's work before the war and after the Great war, how people' opinion on war changed.

WW1 pretty much killed the romanticized notions of war that society had. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Would 94 be the only year we had two 600m+ movies adjusted for inflation? I wonder if SW/TA2 can replicate the feat next year.

That would be incredible to see. Still wouldn't be as impressive seeing as SW and TA are much more shoe-ins for that kind of gross than a movie like Gump. 

I still think TA is going to fall well below $600 though I do think SW7 has a good shot at it if Abrams delivers.

• Like 1

That would be incredible to see. Still wouldn't be as impressive seeing as SW and TA are much more shoe-ins for that kind of gross than a movie like Gump. 

I still think TA is going to fall well below $600 though I do think SW7 has a good shot at it if Abrams delivers.

Yeah, I'm not sold on TA2 hitting 600 either. I think it will top out around 550 (which is still huge of course). I'm much more inclined to think SW has the better shot at that. But if it delivers, like you said.

• Like 1

Looks like '65 actually had three >600: Sound of Music, Doctor Zhivago, and Thunderball. Wow.

Thunderball is sooo blah! 

However Dr. Zhivago is a rather grand story that I think done in a more modern take would do quite well today. Grand love stories told over a grand scope are some of the biggest hits ever.