Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

YA has little to do with targeting a specific demographic, and everything to do with the types of struggles faced by it's characters. Star Wars does not count as YA.

It does, I see people still haven't dealt with it

• Like 5

I was just trying to not broadcast publicly that you hadn't seen The Empire Strikes Back.

I have seen it though. And what do I care if people know I didn't if I hadn't? I wouldn't be embarrassed.
  • Like 2

I personally have no stake in whether it's considered YA or not. It's not though. It has common elements with YA fiction, but it follows other storytelling archetypes much more closely.

• Like 1

according to its producers it's not.  :)

Alfonso Cuaron actually gave a no-answer

Q: Do you consider Gravity to be science fiction?

A: That’s a strange thing because now I don’t know what science fiction is about. Science fiction has been so confused with fantasy. What I used to consider to be fantasy is now known as science fiction in many instances.

Gravity is science fiction in that it’s a fiction and we tried to include as much of a scientific element into everything surrounding the fiction. Some might say it’s not science fiction because it takes place in the present, not the future. It’s not inventing technology. From that perspective I don’t know if it fits into the modern idea of science fiction.

Science fiction lost its meaning. Everything that takes place in space gets called science fiction, but a lot of films that take place in space are actually fantasy. Or horror - I loveAlien, but it’s a horror film that happens to be set in space. The Cameron one, Aliens, is an action movie in space. I quite like Event Horizon - it’s not unlike Tarkovsky. But I don’t think that’s science fiction - it’s a haunted house, but they use a space ship.

iSyyQgy3VR3hU.gif

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

I guess it technically could be called YA, but it doesn't really feel like it at all to me.  The prequels though definitely feel more aimed at younger people whereas the OT felt like they were crafted for everyone.  One of the biggest criticisms of the prequel trilogy was how George Lucas shat on that.

Edited by Ozymandias

looks like i have to retire the kesha gif. i tried to explain how to use it but you guys didn't listen and now you're using it wrong... it's sad really i guess i'll miss it bit it's time to move on to.. you know, bigger and better things.

iWuMVn6FVchcV.gif

Well if SW is YA then it's sure done a shitty job in the past of realizing what audience it's supposed to be drawing. Because kids and adults rule that franchise's fanbase. Or at least they did. Granted some kids who grew up with the PT might be in the YA range now, though they were so long ago they're more likely to be adults now like myself. Similar to how the kids who grew up with the OT were adults when the PT came out. I'd call it Children's fiction before YA fiction. Kids loved the OT and the PT in huge numbers.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2