Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

Excited for this.

Prometheus fumbled on many levels but it also opened the universe for this long naff series up for further exploration (It's my favourite film series but everything post Alien 3 sank in quality, right up until Prometheus). I just hope that Paglan and Green don't get bogged down trying to level out all Lindelof's left overs and rather just move onwards. 

Edited by Gazz

Agreed, excited.  Prometheus had it's problems, but conceptually I liked it, and it looked and felt great.

Hopefully they find interesting things to do with Noomi's character though, she's no Ripley at this point.

• Like 1

Excited for this even though i hated the first one. I feel it will move more towards the events in ALIEN (well if we get the full 3 films like they planned).

Prometheus was such a missed opportunity for me, it was Scott fully in sleepwalking mode. Its scary the difference in quality between Prometheus and ALIEN when he was young and hungry.

But ALIENS is my favorite movie of all time, ALIEN is top 5, hell even the extended cut of ALIEN 3 is borderline top 10. I have no choice but to still have hope in this series.

Excited for this even though i hated the first one. I feel it will move more towards the events in ALIEN (well if we get the full 3 films like they planned).

Prometheus was such a missed opportunity for me, it was Scott fully in sleepwalking mode. Its scary the difference in quality between Prometheus and ALIEN when he was young and hungry.

But ALIENS is my favorite movie of all time, ALIEN is top 5, hell even the extended cut of ALIEN 3 is borderline top 10. I have no choice but to still have hope in this series.

Can't say I'm surprised with your avatar and signature. :lol:

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

I must be the only Alien fan that don't give a shit how events are now supposed to tie into Alien. And don't sweat it Prometheus ending was definetely supposed to tie into Alien (the Space Jockey crashing the Derelict exactly in the same position as discovered in Alien) before Scott changed his mind at last minute for contrived coincidences coming from Lindelof's cheeseholed mind.

If those pre-Alien events were worth a movie Scott would have told this story back in 1979. Period.

It's just the prequel-ling fad to explain everything that happened before a classic movie ruining every single mystery that are part of that movie's appeal in the first place.

What's next? Jaws prequel explaining the origins of the shark?

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 5

I must be the only Alien fan that don't give a shit how events are now supposed to tie into Alien. And don't sweat it Prometheus ending was definetely supposed to tied into Alien (the Space Jockey crashing the Derelict exactly in the same position as discovered in Alien) before Scott changed his mind at last minute for contrived coincidences coming from Lindelof's cheeseholed mind.

According to Spaiht's the decision to de-Alien Prometheus came from the studio

Spaihts: The creature did change in some pretty dramatic ways from draft to draft. But the most dramatic change was the removal of the xenomorph from the film. That was a shift that happened at the same time as I stepped off the film. A lot of that push came from the studio very high up; they were interested in doing something original and not one more franchise film. That really came to a head at the studio - the major push to focus on the new mythology of Prometheus and dial the Aliens as far back as we could came down from the studio.

Source: http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1563

I'm hoping that whatever Scott does next with the series that he doesn't fall over himself in an attempt to drive the series into the beginning of Alien. It's only going to mean writers will fall over themselves to reconcile completely separate plot threads and ideas. I want to see some new Giger-esque monstrosities and landscapes belonging to this universe now that the series has been opened up to a larger sci-fi canvas. 

Edited by Gazz
  • Like 1

I must be the only Alien fan that don't give a shit how events are now supposed to tie into Alien. And don't sweat it Prometheus ending was definetely supposed to tied into Alien (the Space Jockey crashing the Derelict exactly in the same position as discovered in Alien) before Scott changed his mind at last minute for contrived coincidences coming from Lindelof's cheeseholed mind.

If those pre-Alien events were worth a movie Scott would have told this story back in 1979. Period.

It's just the prequel-ling fad to explain everything that happened before a classic movie ruining every single mystery that are part of that movie's appeal in the first place.

What's next? Jaws prequel explaining the origins of the shark?

Yep the mystery of ALIEN is gone and we went from the amazing and atmospheric, mystery filled this -

Posted Image

To this -

Posted Image

And from this huge, and totally alien, obviously skeletal remains -

Posted Image

To this 7 foot tall humanoid -

Posted Image

Its like they just didn't care. I'll give the sequel a chance though.

• Like 2