Ethan Hunt

top 50 films for the half decade; Kalo's list begins! (pg. 45)

50. Amazing Spider-Man

49. Rise of the Planet of the Apes

48. Puss in Boots

47. Interstellar

46. Wimpy Kid 2: Roderick Rules

45. Birdman

44. Hobbit An Unexpected Journey

43. Iron Man 3

42. Les Miserables

41. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

40. Warm Bodies

39. 12 Years a Slave

38. 22 Jump Street

37. Lone Survivor

36. The Hunger Games

35. The LEGO Movie

34. Star Trek Into Darkness

33. Inception

32. Hugo

31. Captain America The Winter Soldier

30. Man of Steel

29. Hobbit Desolation of Smaug

28. Monsters University

27. Frozen

26. How to Train Your Dragon

25. The Fault in our Stars

24. Despicable Me

23. Fury

22. Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol

21 TIED. Kick-Ass

21. TIED. Imitation Game

20. Shutter Island

19. Chronicle

18. Pacific Rim

17. Deathly Hallows Part 1

16. Wreck-it-Ralph

15. The Muppets

14. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

13. X-Men Days if Future Past

12. Edge of Tomorrow

11. Skyfall

10. Arthur Christmas

9. The Hobbit The Battle of the Five Armies

8. The Maze Runner

7. The Social Network

6. X-Men First Class

5. 21 Jump Street

4. Guardians of the Galaxy

3. The Avengers

2. Boyhood

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

• Like 8

#48: Pacific Rim (2013)

written by: Travis Beacham, Guillermo del Toro
directed by: Guillermo del Toro

movies-pacific-rim-poster-2.jpg

Giant robots fighting giant monsters. ‘nuff said. It’s a movie made by people dearly in love with this particular sub-genre, right down to the little touches like the WWII/steampunk-esque aesthetic, the creature design, and the absurd use of various pro-wrestling moves. None of the characters stand out too much — except for Mako — but they’re all vivid, over-the-top, and generally awesome. It’s a movie my twelve-year-old self would’ve called the greatest movie ever made.

• Like 12

#47: Meek’s Cutoff (2011)

written by: Jonathan Raymond
directed by: Kelly Reichardt

meeks-cutoff-movie-poster.jpg

This is a story about the early days of the Oregon trail, and Reichardt really manages to illustrate how truly bleak and harsh and difficult the conditions were. We tend to think of distances in terms of what we can drive, and even when we think of historical expeditions like pioneers moving west, we tend to think in terms of established trails — sure, it took awhile and was tough, but you’d basically get there in the end. Here, though, you realize how tough it is… with nonexistent trails, mountain men who claim to know the way but might not, how you’re basically bringing every scrap of your civilized life with you, and hauling it over hills, valleys, rivers… all without knowing exactly where you’re going, if you’re even headed in the right direction, and where you might find your next source of water. This is a quiet, bleak, and beautiful little movie.

• Like 5

I'll just list them

1. Blue Is The Warmest Color

2. 12 Years a Slave

3. The Social Network

4. The Master

5. The Tree of Life

6. Spring Breakers

7. The Act of Killing

8. Another Year

9. Amour

10. Winter Sleep

11. Captain Phillips

12. Holy Motors

13. Gravity

14. The Comedy

15. Exit Through the Gift Shop

• Like 3

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

220px-The_Hobbit_-_The_Battle_of_the_Fiv

Battle of the Five Armies was to the LOTR saga what Revenge of the Sith was to the Star Wars saga (yes you heard that right). Say what you will about the Star Wars prequels, or the Hobbit films, but Battle of the Five Armies is a visual spectacle that is breathtaking, but not overbearing in the same sense many (rightfully) see Mas of Steel to be. BotFA is also more than just empty spectacle, as the movie added multiple layers of emotional strength that was slightly lacking throughout the first two movies; the movie isn't just a narrative conclusion that ties the two trilogies together, but also an emotional climax that bridges The Hobbit trilogy to the Lord of the Rings, much like Revenge of the Sith. Also, this was the first time I ever experienced applause at the end of a movie, and that was an experience in and of itself.

BoFA. had some terrible CGI in it though.. worse than the first two which is weird.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

BoFA. had some terrible CGI in it though.. worse than the first two which is weird.

I have to disagree my friend. While the best CGI is obviously when you don't know it's there (aka its so important to the story that its not the elephant in the room), and while I knew I was watching green screen basically the whole time in the hobbit 3, I thought the scope of the battle was great, just not Legolas jumping up those falling rocks.

#46: We Are the Best! (2014)

written and directed by: Lukas Moodysson

vi_ar_bast_ver3.jpg

A great, universal movie about coming of age. Two girls in 1980s Sweden decide to form a punk band at school, despite having no musical training whatsoever. Moodysson taps perfectly into that moment in time when, as a teenager, you rebel against the establishment, your parents are complete dumbasses, anyone who doesn’t embrace their dreams and ideals is a total sellout, etc. It’s completely adorable. I didn’t grow up in Sweden, I never was a musician or that much into punk rock, and I’m not a girl, and yet I completely identified with everything these three girls went through.

• Like 2

I have to disagree my friend. While the best CGI is obviously when you don't know it's there (aka its so important to the story that its not the elephant in the room), and while I knew I was watching green screen basically the whole time in the hobbit 3, I thought the scope of the battle was great, just not Legolas jumping up those falling rocks.

I'm not saying the whole movie had bad CGI, but like the Dwarf king who comes to help Thorin looked so weird, it was obvious it was CGI. and the Orcs looked bad too. 

• Like 1