baumer

Tues Numbers (Spatula) (Hobbit 8.0, ITW 6.5, Unbroken 5.4)

Since it seems to be the thing to mention, and because I want something special for my 4000th post, here's my story abou the 1 2/3rds times I've seen Interstellar.

I'd wanted to see it for a long while. Seattle's got a nice 70mm IMAX theater at the Pacific Science Center. However, the runtime is pushing close to 3 hours, which makes it a bit more than inconvenient to fit into a schedule. Also, it had a November release date, which meant I was totally embroiled in NaNoWriMo. On more than a few occasions, I said to myself "Hey, if you get your daily wordcount done, you can go see Interstellar." Did I get my wordcount done? No. No, I did not.

On one occasion, I managed to find the time. The early showing on a Saturday would work, as I'd be able to meet people afterwards to get the writing done. So I hopped on my bike (we were a bit before the cold had really set in) and pedeled my way over the PacSci to try and catch the show. Just a bit over halfway, I realized that my backpack felt unnaturally light. I'd forgotten my lock. At this point it was less than ten minutes to showtime, not nearly enough to return home and ride back again.

On another some friends and I planned to catch it in the evening, only to find out that it was sold out, despite being in theaters for a few weeks at that point. Plans switched and I bowed out.

Finally, November ended and I had more free time. On a Sunday after work, I walked down to PacSci, bought my ticket and settled in. The theater is large, but it was also quite full: the earlier sellout that had prevented me from attending made sense: 70mm Interstellar is an event. (So much so that PacSci didn't abandon it for The Hobbit.)

And the movie was good. I'd heard about the music and sound, which was strong but I began to understand why Nolan and set it up this way. The visuals were great, especially the decision to do all the space shots in 70mm. It didn't quite have the visceral impact that the opening sequences of TDK and TDKR had, but that didn't bother me. So, very, very pretty.

And then, a moment of confusion. At one point the sound suddenly cut out. The overhead lights came on. People looked up, murmuring in confusion. Had someone committed such an egregious error as this? But, no, then the chirping of a siren accompanied by the flashing lights by the door told us the truth.

In the middle of Interstellar, we had a fire alarm.

There were sighs. There were laughs. There were, thankfully, no shouts of real anger. Dutifully we gathered our things and filed out as instructed. We got a neat trek through the bowels of the Pacific Science Center, until we emerged in the drizzle and the grey of the Seattle afternoon. After some confusion we were informed that they needed to figure everything out, but we might possibly be let back in and the film restarted from a slightly earlier point. This would have been acceptable, as there was still some time for me to burn.

At one point, as we waited outside, the alarm cut out. Would we be let back in? Would we be able to see the culmination of Nolan's space exploration vision?

No, I'm afraid we would not. That brief moment of hope was dashed when the sirens started up again. The Pacific Science Center staff informed us that there would be no more Interstellar for us that day. We were directed to customer services, where they issued refunds for our tickets and gave us vouchers to a free IMAX movie.

It did so happen that I used that voucher to go see Interstellar several days later. I walked down to catch the final showing of the night, on a day that turned out to have quite a windstorm blowing through the area, so much so that I didn't entirely feel safe as I walked home. But I saw all of Interstellar, without interruption, and it was good and enjoyable.

Ultimately, due to the refund, it didn't cost me anything, either.

Now, for the curious, the moment the fire alarm started and the first viewing was cut short happened to be just after Cooper and Mann left for their little walk.

• Like 8

You really needed to post it twice Kal? Ha ha.

Sorry was on android lg phone. Lol. Weather herei nNY must be messing

with the wi-fi . Im on Fios over here. Waves.. Happy New Year good buddy!!

And happy New Year BO Family and all online tonight. Watching roadhouse.

You seen that old one Kayum :P?

• Like 1

In other words, God has taste. :lol:

Chews on Tele's Legs for good ole 2015!! Hah hah. Happy New Year good buddy.

How are you my friend. Did you go out or anyone here. Shit its 20-28 degrees out in NY

.. Glad I didnt go down to city tonight.. Then your stuck in traffic even if you take the subway

and buses its crowded as hell.

• Like 1

Chews on Tele's Legs for good ole 2015!! Hah hah. Happy New Year good buddy.

How are you my friend. Did you go out or anyone here. Shit its 20-28 degrees out in NY

.. Glad I didnt go down to city tonight.. Then your stuck in traffic even if you take the subway

and buses its crowded as hell.

It's beyond cold here, Kal. Women and children are dying in the streets and the frigid wind howls in from Catalina and freezes cats and dogs in their steps. We survivors huddle in our dwellings and listen to the whistle of the icy gusts outside, warming our hands in Gucci gloves and our feet in zebra-print Ugg boots. It must be 40 degrees outside.

• Like 6

It's beyond cold here, Kal. Women and children are dying in the streets and the frigid wind howls in from Catalina and freezes cats and dogs in their steps. We survivors huddle in our dwellings and listen to the whistle of the icy gusts outside, warming our hands in Gucci gloves and our feet in zebra-print Ugg boots. It must be 40 degrees outside.

Why are you wasting time posting here? Take in some women children dogs cats in need of a warm shelter !!

Happy new year everyone!

• Like 3